IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealing with the recalls and a problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-09, 10:42 AM
kur1j
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealing with the recalls and a problem

I have a 2008 IS that I have had for about 4ish months. I bought this car from a private seller with like 6 miles on the car. Everything I researched said that the warranty was on the car itself regardless who the owner was.

I just found out that the car has a few recalls. One dealing with the floor mats. The other dealing with the fuel pipes.

I also am having an issue with the push button ignition (to a certain extent). When it is really cold the green light won't light up when I am pressing on the brake pedal. I have to REALLY bare down on the brake to get the light to come on so I can start the car. I will tell you this... it was really cold outside and my sister couldn't press the brake hard enough to allow her to start the car.

I have called to the dealership that was closest to me (about 40 miles) and am kinda getting the run around. One day they said they weren't aware of any recall. The next time I was told the person I needed to talk to wasn't there. This was only after I stated that I didn't buy the car from them.

All three of these issues should be covered under warranty should it not?
Old 11-14-09, 10:48 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,999 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Yes. The dealership shouldn't care who bought the car, Lexus is paying for the warranty repairs, not the dealership.
Old 11-14-09, 11:45 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kur1j
I have a 2008 IS that I have had for about 4ish months. I bought this car from a private seller with like 6 miles on the car. Everything I researched said that the warranty was on the car itself regardless who the owner was.

I just found out that the car has a few recalls. One dealing with the floor mats. The other dealing with the fuel pipes.

I also am having an issue with the push button ignition (to a certain extent). When it is really cold the green light won't light up when I am pressing on the brake pedal. I have to REALLY bare down on the brake to get the light to come on so I can start the car. I will tell you this... it was really cold outside and my sister couldn't press the brake hard enough to allow her to start the car.

I have called to the dealership that was closest to me (about 40 miles) and am kinda getting the run around. One day they said they weren't aware of any recall. The next time I was told the person I needed to talk to wasn't there. This was only after I stated that I didn't buy the car from them.

All three of these issues should be covered under warranty should it not?
Also, if you register your car on lexus.com it'll show you any recalls that apply to it
Old 11-14-09, 12:02 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can find all the .pdf for the recalls on here somewhere i believe.. if you print them out and shove them in their face, they cannot say no.
Old 11-14-09, 12:17 PM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the floor mat recall even still in effect? it was found that the reason the es350 crashed was because an RX floormat was put in place which would be too large.
Old 11-14-09, 12:18 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think the floor mat "recall" has really buttoned down, because they don't know what the solution is. I had my car in last week, and told them my all weather mat is cracked. The service tech said she'd put the problem in the computer, but there are no replacement mats because of the recall. She said to expect a letter within a few weeks.

I definitely agree with Kurtz--register your VIN on Lexus.com. You can always check service campaigns there.
Old 11-15-09, 01:18 AM
ltran
Rookie

first, tell your sister she's a weaksauce. lol. JK. but that happens to me, kinda turn the wheel while you press the brake and press the button.

the recall was like a safety notice recall,or something like that; nothing severe.
Old 11-15-09, 06:34 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

I got this in the mail two days ago
Old 11-15-09, 07:44 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kur1j

How could you buy a car from a private seller with only 6 miles on the odo. Unless you mean 6,000 miles it doesn't make sense.

There is nothing wrong with your ignition. The system has to have some vacuum in the system for the ignition button to work. When my car sits for a few days it won't start by just pressing the brake. Simple solution is to pump the brakes a few times before pushing the button which pressurizes the system. No problem.