IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Took a hit in the radiator area!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-09, 10:09 AM
albertkey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 Took a hit in the radiator area!

Hi guys,
Been a crappy weekend with my vehicles. Sat took a spill on my motorcycle- all good but dropped it when I hit a patch of oil making a right from a stop sign... :P

And this morning I was driving around 9ish- empty socal free ways and some metallic object flung from another car hit the IS and dented the front black mini radiator. Now I'm hoping for the best because the front radiator is hissing and hopefully the silver one behind it is ok.

Any idea what the front one does? If it doesnt contain pressurized coolant then the hissing is coming from the big one which will suck big time to replace.

Anyone have a diagram of the 350's cooling system. I'm keeping fingers crossed its the front black on and the big main radiator looks fine. Damage looks like a big round bearing about 1.5in in diameter and looks like it didnt go through just flattened the fins on the black one.

Thanks guys. Taking it to the stealership tomorrow. I'm around Glendale/Pasadena btw.

Any help with iding the front black cool would be helpful!

Thanks!
Old 11-15-09, 10:14 AM
albertkey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

black one is the ac condenser? Should it hiss and what would come out of it?
Old 11-15-09, 04:56 PM
vdubturbo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't looked at my IS specifically, but typically the A/C condenser is the thin heat exchanger in front of the radiator.

The hissing is the sound of your refrigerant leaking out. You will have to have the condenser replaced and the system recharged. Most A/C techs will recommend (or require) replacing the dryer too. I know when I replaced the compressor on my VW, the new dryer was required if I wanted to take advantage of the part warranty.

I have no idea what Lexus parts cost, but I'd venture to say you're looking at 3hrs labor plus parts... probably $800 or so.