F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not another floor mat discussion...
Old 11-17-09, 01:46 PM
mhult
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by soupdawg
if you go to dealer with the floor mats in your car are they going to zip tie them? or can you refuse
Why not take the floor mats out of the car before you go to the dealer?
Old 11-17-09, 01:49 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhult
Why not take the floor mats out of the car before you go to the dealer?
That works too. I'm still waiting for Toyota/Lexus to come to some conclusion and solution other than the temporary bandaids.
Old 11-17-09, 07:26 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I received the recall notice from Lexus as well, but it pretty much just said that they're aware of the problem, but they don't have a fix for it yet. Aside from all out removing the floor mat, I don't see what kind of fix they could have for this. All everyone should do is make sure that the clips are properly installed...
Old 11-17-09, 09:38 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

I got the letter too but I'm not going to let the dealership mess around with my mats. I'm not taking it in until they have a fix I will be happy with, Zip tie is NOT one of them.
Old 11-18-09, 05:03 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Put car in neutral, then engage the brakes to pull the car over someplace safe and stop it, then turn off engine by holding start button down until it turns off, then put in park.

Should work 100% of the time should your floormat somehow move and get the accelerator stuck.

You could just turn the engine off with the start button, but it'll be a lot safer to stop first.
The only down side to this is that the engine will bounce of the rev limiter up to the time that the engine is shut down. That is if the acelerator got stuck at WOT.

This happen to my Integra once but it was the throthle linkage that some how got stuck. I could have caused serious damage to my B18C as my ECU has no rev limiter.
Old 11-18-09, 06:19 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
The only down side to this is that the engine will bounce of the rev limiter up to the time that the engine is shut down. That is if the acelerator got stuck at WOT.
It won't really hurt anything, though, as thats what the limiter was designed for. It's far better than the alternative...thats for certain.
Old 11-18-09, 06:54 AM
Sarg
Rookie

It has nothing to do with the stock floor mats....I spoke to a Lexus rep and the cause of the accident was from aftermarket all-weather floormats installed OVER the OEM mats...they were not secured and thus rolled up under the brake pedal and didn't permit the occupants to brake....the recall fix: remove the OEM mat on the driver side when getting serviced....you just reinstall it when you pick up your car...there is no defect....just don't install aftermarket mats to "save" your OEM mats
Old 11-19-09, 11:26 AM
cajun
Pit Crew

Received 146 Likes on 59 Posts

Toyota may now be considering shortening the accelerator pedal? Interesting...

http://www.insideline.com/toyota/toy...g-problem.html
Old 11-19-09, 11:39 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

man interesting.... i got in the mail the accelerator pedal notice too... they want a recall for my car.

We also have an LS and they want us to recall that too for some reason...

hearing about shortening pedals... thats just dumb.... i hope they dont do that...

i have a question though. what if.... you drive the car in without any floor mats does that mean they will give me more floor mats? (saying i bought the car and didnt come with them from the same dealership i bought the car from. also then start arguing that i want f-sports? ) or am i just fantasizing madly now?
Old 11-19-09, 12:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sarg
It has nothing to do with the stock floor mats....I spoke to a Lexus rep and the cause of the accident was from aftermarket all-weather floormats installed OVER the OEM mats...they were not secured and thus rolled up under the brake pedal and didn't permit the occupants to brake....the recall fix: remove the OEM mat on the driver side when getting serviced....you just reinstall it when you pick up your car...there is no defect....just don't install aftermarket mats to "save" your OEM mats
What's a Lexus rep? And removing the OEM on the drivers side when getting serviced is not the final solution I hope.
Old 11-19-09, 03:55 PM
Sarg
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS-SV
What's a Lexus rep? And removing the OEM on the drivers side when getting serviced is not the final solution I hope.
Sorry...Lexus Service Representative...and yes, so far that is the remedy for the problem.
Old 11-19-09, 04:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sarg
Sorry...Lexus Service Representative...and yes, so far that is the remedy for the problem.
I see, or SA service advisor. So the final solution is still not out.
Old 11-19-09, 04:14 PM
Sarg
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I see, or SA service advisor. So the final solution is still not out.
I just had mine seviced, so I suppose there is possibly something in the works...but for now, they take out the mat, throw it in the trunk and you have the option of putting it back in...if you put it back in, they're not liable...the obstruction (mat) was removed, thus repaired.
Old 11-20-09, 08:08 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

So the dealer is removing the OEM carpeted mats or the aftermarket All Weather mats?

Quick Reply: Toyota Considering 2nd Generation IS Accelerator Replacement