IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

GFM vs. Tungsten

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 10:55 PM
baloogafh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GFM vs. Tungsten

Looking at getting a new IS 350, but choosing between colors. I really like GFM and Tunsgten pearl, but I think GFM is more unique and like it better than TP. However, I'm not sure if GFM is the most practical color to get (maybe it's a fad and I might think differently of it in the next 4 - 5 years?; I am also a male and the color is just a tad bit feminite). But, then I look at TP and it's a great color to have, but doesn't have that pizzaz that GFM has that makes you really excited about a car

Wanted to get everyone's thoughts.
Old 11-17-09, 12:14 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

i like the GFM better than Tungsten. to me, its just silver, and silver is a very common color on cars. i don't think GFM is feminine. heck, i've seen guys drive yellow cars-and i thought that color was just for girls. i got Starfire and i love it! everytime i see my car, the color just never ceases to amaze me. but it all comes down to your preference, if you think that GFM is feminine, then go with Tungsten. good luck on your choice and welcome to CL!
Old 11-17-09, 12:30 AM
xHartawann
Lexus Champion

I really wanted black at first but the TP was the only 350 on the lot back when it first came out so I got it anyway. After 4 years of owning, I really love the TP. It slowly grows and you will eventually appreciate and fall in love with the TP. The TP isn't like any other silver, it's quite unique actually. It looks clean when it's dirty but looks fantastic after you wash it. I don't regret owning a TP <3

Look at my Flickr for some TP pics. Click on Automotive Photography
VVVV
Old 11-17-09, 12:34 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No offense to TP owners, but it's the most boring car colours to me. Silver to me seems like a colour if you don't like to take care of your car. because it doesn't show dirt. It's hard to make the colour silver to really pop when you do a good detail job compared to a dark coloured car. plus silver cars don't really stand out in a crowd of cars since everyone has one.

GFM is a nice colour but I think I like the Starfire? more. Don't worry about feminine colours, as long as your car isn't hot pink, it's fine.
Old 11-17-09, 01:34 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GFM vs. Tungsten vs. GFM
Old 11-17-09, 01:52 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Silver is always a safe bet, but it does blend in with every other car. And it is definitely one of those colors that never looks dirty. But as mentioned, it never looks super clean either. Ultimately, if you like the color for what it is, stuff like that shouldn't matter.
For the record, I've yet to have any negative remarks about my GFM. Just lots of compliments and "what is it?"
Regarding it possibly being a fad. I don't think it can be a fad because it's such a unique color. Fads are more like how green and brown died over the course of decades. GFM is a combination of many colors in one. Also, it's been available since the beginning of the model run. Usually weak colors are weeded out by the manufacturer in a year or two. Being it's still around, I'd say that says something. Additionally, most of the time it looks white, silver, or grey. All common colors.
In the end, you can't go wrong with any IS color (save for maybe gold).
Old 11-17-09, 06:04 AM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To me,
No kids, GFM over TP as I have plenty of time to keep it clean
with kids, TP over GFM, it hides the dirt well.
Old 11-17-09, 06:23 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

GFM. i have a GS in GFM and love the color. on a nice sunny day the blue pearl really stands out.
Old 11-17-09, 06:23 AM
jimmyford1
Driver

FWIW, as a Lexus salesperson I've only seen women or couples where the woman was going to be the primary driver, purchase Glacier Frost. White and silver are the two most popular colors for ALL vehicles...dare to be different! Enjoy!!
Old 11-17-09, 08:16 AM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer GFM since it's a unique color only to Lexus. It appears white in direct sunlight and then changes to a bluish-silver tint at dusk. I've had many great compliments on the paint color. I don't think it's too feminine. Look at all the modded GFMs, they're all male drivers. The only bad news is that Lexus discontinued GFM in '08. So, you might have to go with TP. That's another great reason to get GFM, it's now a rare color on the road.
Old 11-17-09, 09:07 AM
fbarbarosa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dappy
I prefer GFM since it's a unique color only to Lexus. It appears white in direct sunlight ... The only bad news is that Lexus discontinued GFM in '08. road.
Two points--

Glacier Frost can look quite gray in some lighting, but it is true that the apparent color changes dramatically with changes in the lighting.

If GFM was discontinued in '08, we have a serious issue with the dealer who sold us a new '09. The color is still shown on the Lexus site for the '10s.

My wife went in wanting silver (her last three cars were silver) but selected GFM. It got my vote, so I don't think it is a gender issue.
Old 11-17-09, 09:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by metalgear
i like the GFM better than Tungsten. to me, its just silver, and silver is a very common color on cars. i don't think GFM is feminine. heck, i've seen guys drive yellow cars-and i thought that color was just for girls. i got Starfire and i love it! everytime i see my car, the color just never ceases to amaze me. but it all comes down to your preference, if you think that GFM is feminine, then go with Tungsten. good luck on your choice and welcome to CL!
I agree, silver is so bland, so generic and so common.

Those that have had body work on GFM should chime in a color-matching issues if any.
Old 11-17-09, 09:27 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

ahahaha wow female drivers with gfm you got that right.

Well if you get gfm, make sure to mod it at least! if not, then TP
Old 11-17-09, 09:35 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV

Those that have had body work on GFM should chime in a color-matching issues if any.
i had my rear bumper repainted by my lexus' body shop (the dealership doesnt have a body shop but the shop they use is lexus certified) and it looks great during the day but i really noticed it was off when i was washing my car. under artificial ligthing it looks completely different.

white is one of the hardest colors to match properly, not to mention the 3 stage pearl that is in the gfm paint.
Old 11-17-09, 09:44 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Well slap me silly Both are my Lexus are bland, generic, and common NOT

Lou

Quick Reply: GFM vs. Tungsten