Print Wikipost

FlyAudio In-Dash Multimedia GPS Navigation System for Lexus IS250/350

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-12, 06:11 AM
5280is250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick ?

How do you install the update on the unit? does anyone have a link?
Old 01-18-12, 04:27 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flyaudio sent me their latest firmware that is supposed to fix the A/C temperature setting range for testing purposes (it's not ready for release yet). They fixed the AC display in other menus, so the black bar on the top of the LCD doesn't show "OFF" anymore and it actually shows the correct temperature as well as fan speed. Also, after starting the car, the Climate menu shows the vent position now (our units currently don't show the vent positions when we start the car unless we change the fan speed). They still need to do more work for displaying the correct temperature range under the "Climate" menu. The range is between 66F-84F instead of 65F-85F and 73F and 82F are repeated as a result of rounding error during C to F conversion. Here are couple of photos:

Name:  IMG_20120118_1428521.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  74.9 KB

Last edited by NimaM; 01-18-12 at 04:40 PM. Reason: ...
Old 01-18-12, 04:45 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NimaM
Flyaudio sent me their latest firmware that is supposed to fix the A/C temperature setting range for testing purposes (it's not ready for release yet). They fixed the AC display in other menus, so the black bar on the top of the LCD doesn't show "OFF" anymore and it actually shows the correct temperature as well as fan speed. Also, after starting the car, the Climate menu shows the vent position now (our units currently don't show the vent positions when we start the car unless we change the fan speed). They still need to do more work for displaying the correct temperature range under the "Climate" menu. The range is between 66F-84F instead of 65F-85F and 73F and 82F are repeated as a result of rounding error during C to F conversion. Here are couple of photos:
This is great! It's good to hear that they are working out some of the bugs. Do you know who the developer is that's working on the bugs? Man I wish they would open-source this, but I know that's never gonna happen! Keep us updated!

Last edited by lexudv; 01-18-12 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Removed images
Old 01-18-12, 05:05 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lexudv
This is great! It's good to hear that they are working out some of the bugs. Do you know who the developer is that's working on the bugs? Man I wish they would open-source this, but I know that's never gonna happen! Keep us updated!
One of FlyAudio USA techs told me their programmer is actually in China. It seems they are working hard to fix the bugs. They loaded a test program on my unit last Friday and their U.S. office sent me the pre-release update this morning at 4AM.
I agree, it would have been nice if they could open the source. then we could enhance the UI.
Old 01-18-12, 06:11 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

NimaM, Please make sure on the way of fixing Fahrenheit they don't inadvertently screw up Celsius again for those of us needing C.

Also, would you ask them to fix the mp3 playback via usb drive so that it works as well as by Ipod?

Also, would you ask them to restore the ability to play movie files (avi/mp4) via the usb drive?

NimaM, what navi software are you using?

Much thanks for working on this with flyaudio!
Old 01-18-12, 09:10 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IceIridium
NimaM, Please make sure on the way of fixing Fahrenheit they don't inadvertently screw up Celsius again for those of us needing C.
I will tell them about the temperatures in C. What are the OEM A/C controller's temperature ranges because I can check the Celsius range? One thing I know for sure is the increments are 0.5C and if I remember correctly, the temperature starts either at 18C or 19C. Please confirm the range in Celsius.

NimaM,

Also, would you ask them to fix the mp3 playback via usb drive so that it works as well as by Ipod?
I can play mp3 files via the usb (under the DVD menu) with no problem. However, I still haven't figured out how to use the "Mp3" menu. Could you elaborate more on this issue?

NimaM,

Also, would you ask them to restore the ability to play movie files (avi/mp4) via the usb drive?
Yes, I will. I didn't know about this feature. They probably will not fix it in this update.

NimaM, what navi software are you using?
I'm using iGo Primo 1.2 and I love it especially at night since all the colors match with the instrument cluster. I have also tested latest version of iGo Primo 2.0, but there isn't much graphical differences and I like Primo 1.2's color themes better.

Much thanks for working on this with flyaudio!
You're absolutely welcome.

Last edited by NimaM; 01-18-12 at 09:11 PM. Reason: ...
Old 01-19-12, 05:24 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I will tell them about the temperatures in C. What are the OEM A/C controller's temperature ranges because I can check the Celsius range? One thing I know for sure is the increments are 0.5C and if I remember correctly, the temperature starts either at 18C or 19C. Please confirm the range in Celsius.
My car's currently in storage so can't really check but I asked my friend with an Avalon and his goes from "Max cold" then starts at 18 C to 28 C at 0.5 C intervals, then "Max hot". I presume it's the same with Canadian IS's.
I can play mp3 files via the usb (under the DVD menu) with no problem. However, I still haven't figured out how to use the "Mp3" menu. Could you elaborate more on this issue?
Just playing a few mp3 files via usb is fine, but if there's a lot of mp3's, it doesn't handle them the same way an ipod does. I don't remember exact specifics but IIRC it doesn't keep your last playing position, and doesn't save your playback options such as shuffle in between car on/off's and you'd need to set it each time. I just want to set it once and leave it like an ipod, where it will remember your exact last playing position and settings automatically whenever you turn on the car.

As far as the "mp3" on the menu, it's for playback of mp3's stored in the SD card, and that works well until it doesn't. Just like the Gen 1 flyaudios, it's unstable and unreliable to the point where CLT said flyaudio don't recommend using it, even though it's right there on the main menu. So at this point the ipod connector is the ONLY viable mp3 playback method on the flyaudio, even though there's supposed to be at least 3...
Old 01-20-12, 05:24 AM
giangy11
Driver School Candidate

I'm using iGo Primo 1.2 and I love it especially at night since all the colors match with the instrument cluster. I have also tested latest version of iGo Primo 2.0, but there isn't much graphical differences and I like Primo 1.2's color themes better.

You're absolutely welcome.
what flyaudio unit generation have you got? first or second?

with first generation igo primo crashes at startup because not sufficient ram memory
Old 01-21-12, 09:45 AM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by giangy11
what flyaudio unit generation have you got? first or second?

with first generation igo primo crashes at startup because not sufficient ram memory
I have second generation. Second gen has 64 MB ram which is the bare minimum requirements for iGo Primo. Mine crashed once due to low memory and it happened when GPS was running while listening to Mp3s and I got a call through bluetooth.
Old 01-21-12, 09:51 AM
NimaM
Lead Lap

My car's currently in storage so can't really check but I asked my friend with an Avalon and his goes from "Max cold" then starts at 18 C to 28 C at 0.5 C intervals, then "Max hot". I presume it's the same with Canadian IS's.

Just playing a few mp3 files via usb is fine, but if there's a lot of mp3's, it doesn't handle them the same way an ipod does. I don't remember exact specifics but IIRC it doesn't keep your last playing position, and doesn't save your playback options such as shuffle in between car on/off's and you'd need to set it each time. I just want to set it once and leave it like an ipod, where it will remember your exact last playing position and settings automatically whenever you turn on the car.

As far as the "mp3" on the menu, it's for playback of mp3's stored in the SD card, and that works well until it doesn't. Just like the Gen 1 flyaudios, it's unstable and unreliable to the point where CLT said flyaudio don't recommend using it, even though it's right there on the main menu. So at this point the ipod connector is the ONLY viable mp3 playback method on the flyaudio, even though there's supposed to be at least 3...

Temp range is correct!

I will let FA know about the mp3 playback bugs when I talk to them.

I also recommend contacting them to let them know of the issues with this unit so that they keep hearing about these issues from many customers. I have given them a lot headaches and if others join it will get better.
Old 01-23-12, 04:48 PM
olympus
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2006 IS and a 2gen flyaudio unit... Bare in mind that I'm in Belgium....
The unit works good, never had the temp display problem...
But it still has issues, many of wich have been said here already.
First is the lack of playback options on the unit... If you want to view videos you have to either have them on dvd or have an external player, and that is just not ... so good...
I have Igo primo running and also get the out of memory error (been a while now but sometimes it happens) . Also when running the navigation the unit freezes if I get a call and the bluetooth is connected.... The conversation still goes through the unit and when I hang up I need to reboot the unit most of the times, sometimes it just keeps functioning as it should, or I get the out of mem error. Not so good either....
The most important for me is to be able to play anything (or almost) using the usb connector, and this is something flyaudio should/could have implemented from factory... I hope they figure this out...
Also someone said he could get in the service menu of the 2gen unit... I know it involves a code wich I think everyone should have in order to do a hard reset on the unit instead of just rebooting the unit... So if anyone knows how to get in this menu, please tell us...
Thnx
Old 01-23-12, 05:16 PM
n8236
Pole Position

When I was in China, I was ready to buy this unit, but it was only 600 USD cheaper than what can be bought here. And given the amount they're asking, I really expect continuous support and have last gen issues fixed and whatnot.
Old 01-24-12, 04:56 PM
5280is250
Driver School Candidate

Mine restarted itself twice the first day I installed it, but it never happened again.

As for the navigation, I experienced the same until I started using a different SD card and iGo8. I think the problem could be the SD card that came with Flyaudio unit. It's a cheap one.
Mine is having the same issues. Freezing / restarting. Just installed and super disappointing. Did a new microSD with just a file transfer over improve the situation?
Old 01-26-12, 02:27 PM
CarbonDtls
Lead Lap

When playing dvds the screen is dark and volume is lower than cd, radio. Is there any additional options to increase brightness?
Old 01-26-12, 07:21 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5280is250
Mine is having the same issues. Freezing / restarting. Just installed and super disappointing. Did a new microSD with just a file transfer over improve the situation?
When I started using a new SD card, I didn't transfer any of the files. Instead, I started using a different navigation program and never experienced freezing again.

Make sure you have the latest firmware, I heard they fixed some problem related to restarting/rebooting.

Quick Reply: FlyAudio In-Dash Multimedia GPS Navigation System for Lexus IS250/350