Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

FlyAudio In-Dash Multimedia GPS Navigation System for Lexus IS250/350

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 08:00 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been working on the Garmin software for almost a week. I got the software to successfully boot, but the system is terribly unstable. Once I loaded the maps, I ran into several scenarios where the program crashes (changing the orientation of the map, typing in a city when searching for an address to navigate to, searching for POI's - it's basically unusable except for displaying a map while you're driving. I suspect it might be because I loaded too many maps and the system is running out of memory. I'm going to try again tonight using only the California map to see if that stabilizes the system.

Javier
Old 03-23-10, 08:04 AM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the updates Mark and Javier! It's great to be part of a community with people that are willing to put in their own time and energy to pioneering new ways of doing things!
Old 03-23-10, 08:09 AM
markolomew
Rookie

Javier, I just PM-ed you a link to a fully working iGO8 unit with California maps.
If anyone else wants it, let me know.

In my experience, the iGO8 is extremely stable, so it might be the file types you are using and maybe the sys.txt file isn't tweaked just right. I DO agree that the iGO8 maps orientation will just kind cycle through and will not stay on one certain one....which is a little annoying, but with one touch in the upper right hand corner all goes back...so I've learned not to let that bug me. Though if anyone has a fix for that, I am all ears.
Old 03-23-10, 08:23 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Hey Mark - thanks for the PM, but the problems I'm trying to work through are with Garmin, not iGO. My iGO is EXTREMELY stable, in fact it's never crashed - and I have the entire USA/CANADA/MEXICO 3D maps, POI's, and building files. I like the customization that iGO offers, I just wished they offered a UI to accomplish that instead of having to edit the sys.txt and guess what all the numbers mean for arrow sizes and map angles... Could you explain a bit more what problem you're having with the iGO map orientation? I've noticed mine will show a different angle every now and then when I'm driving for extended periods on the freeway, but it always resets itself to the orientation I selected - I don't have to touch anything to get it to go back. I thought it was a cool feature that would show the terrain...

Oh, Mat - I was speaking with Jonathan (quintmann) and we've confirmed another bug in the FlyAudio unit. Whenever you listen to the radio (while viewing another screen like GPS, DVD, etc) everything is fine until you change the radio station. Once you select a different radio frequency, the system will keep showing the radio frequency in the bar at the top of the screen intermittently as if you had just changed the station again. This behavior also exists with the air conditioning. If you turn on the car and don't change the temperature, the system functions normally. Once you select a different temperature or setting however, the system will periodically "update" you of what temperature you have selected via the bar at the top of the screen.

They also need to change the display for the radio frequencies so that it reads "105.9" instead of "105.90" but that should be an easy fix...

Javier
Old 03-23-10, 08:38 AM
markolomew
Rookie

Javier,
The orientation issue is like this: I'll have the iGO8 set to 3D maps, then after 30 mins of driving or so, it will change to a zoomed out 2D map. It will usually stay like this for another 30mins, then it will cycle back to my 3D map I selected. I'm not 100% yet if it is cycling back to this map bc I had originally selected it, of if it just defaults back to that. I do a lot of long distance driving; therefore, I can see this issue wouldn't bother most bc they are not needing GPS longer then 30 mins or so. But like I said, it is not a "bad" thing since all I need to do is tap the upper right hand corner to swap the map back to 3D if it "needs" it.

And yes, Garmin is a beast so far. ....stupid garmin.
Old 03-23-10, 08:41 AM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Oh, Mat - I was speaking with Jonathan (quintmann) and we've confirmed another bug in the FlyAudio unit. Whenever you listen to the radio (while viewing another screen like GPS, DVD, etc) everything is fine until you change the radio station. Once you select a different radio frequency, the system will keep showing the radio frequency in the bar at the top of the screen intermittently as if you had just changed the station again. This behavior also exists with the air conditioning. If you turn on the car and don't change the temperature, the system functions normally. Once you select a different temperature or setting however, the system will periodically "update" you of what temperature you have selected via the bar at the top of the screen.

They also need to change the display for the radio frequencies so that it reads "105.9" instead of "105.90" but that should be an easy fix...

Javier
Javier, thanks for the heads up. Funny you mention that today, we were installing a system last night and I was playing with it before the client picked it up, and I thought that it was doing what you described, but I didn't question in because I figured I just wasn't used to seeing the system installed (instead of on my desk). I will pass along the information to Victor at FlyAudio. Thanks!
Old 03-23-10, 09:12 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by markolomew
Javier,
The orientation issue is like this: I'll have the iGO8 set to 3D maps, then after 30 mins of driving or so, it will change to a zoomed out 2D map. It will usually stay like this for another 30mins, then it will cycle back to my 3D map I selected. I'm not 100% yet if it is cycling back to this map bc I had originally selected it, of if it just defaults back to that. I do a lot of long distance driving; therefore, I can see this issue wouldn't bother most bc they are not needing GPS longer then 30 mins or so. But like I said, it is not a "bad" thing since all I need to do is tap the upper right hand corner to swap the map back to 3D if it "needs" it.

And yes, Garmin is a beast so far. ....stupid garmin.
Hmm, your iGO is doing something very different than mine does. I suspect there's a setting in your sys.txt that's causing this. Mine never goes to a 2D view - instead every now and then it "flattens out" the map view so you can see the terrain (mountains, hills, buildings, etc.) from far away. It only takes about 2 seconds for the view to return to the selected view, and there's no action input from me to accomplish this. Like I said before, I actually enjoy the different views. PM me your email address and I'll email you my sys.txt file so you can use it or compare with yours.

Javier
Old 03-23-10, 03:01 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you guys using for a reverse camera?

Where did you purchase it?

How much was it? How is the image quality? Does it have night vision?
Old 03-23-10, 03:03 PM
markolomew
Rookie

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
What are you guys using for a reverse camera?

Where did you purchase it?

How much was it? How is the image quality? Does it have night vision?
flyaudio. Automax, less than $100, surprisingly good, no night vision.
Old 03-23-10, 04:45 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

There's no "night vision", but the visibility is pretty good on screen just from the reverse light/license plate LEDs.

Javier
Old 03-23-10, 08:10 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

This is definitely a purchase in the near future for me!
Old 03-24-10, 08:32 AM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

I am obviously biased, but I think for the money, the quality of the FlyAudio camera is great. There are alot of other camera's out there, but for the price, I don't think you can beat the FlyAudio option. Out of the hundreds of units we've sold, I have only seen 1 camera come back for warranty. That's great!
Old 03-24-10, 08:38 AM
markolomew
Rookie

Has anyone installed a front and backup camera combo yet? I'm assuming to do this you'd have to run the video cable from the front cam to the RCA aux video and make sure that ipod is turned off under settings. Then you can select the front camera under the AUX button on the main screen whenever you need it and the backup cam will activate automatically when you put the car in reverse. If anyone has a spare Cam, I'll happily test it for you if you want to send it out.

(mat, maybe see if it would be possible for the coders to allow both video inputs to remain on for next rev.)
Old 03-24-10, 08:41 AM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you need a front one? You have a windshield.
Old 03-24-10, 08:43 AM
Automax Service
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by markolomew
Has anyone installed a front and backup camera combo yet? I'm assuming to do this you'd have to run the video cable from the front cam to the RCA aux video and make sure that ipod is turned off under settings. Then you can select the front camera under the AUX button on the main screen whenever you need it and the backup cam will activate automatically when you put the car in reverse. If anyone has a spare Cam, I'll happily test it for you if you want to send it out.

(mat, maybe see if it would be possible for the coders to allow both video inputs to remain on for next rev.)
One of our 1st install clients, Phil, wanted us to do that, but we didn't have time to test it. Since then, we have tested it on a car and it works great. It's not the most convenient solution because you have to select AUX (turn off iPod), but it is great if you don't want to rip your front lip/spoiler off due to those concrete blocks in parking lots or slanted driveways.

Quick Reply: FlyAudio In-Dash Multimedia GPS Navigation System for Lexus IS250/350