Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

FlyAudio In-Dash Multimedia GPS Navigation System for Lexus IS250/350

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-11, 04:08 PM
meangene
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everytime I look at this thread i get a little sadder lol. I've been on the fence about buying a flyaudio kit for a while and it looks like I'm going to pass on it.
Old 01-15-11, 04:47 PM
Jmags
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

me too..........
Old 01-16-11, 01:40 AM
Frosty250
Lexus Test Driver

That sucks. was planning to get one in the future but so many negative feedbacks =\
Old 01-16-11, 10:03 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006Onyx
I have one and I hate it. I was even going to sell it, but decided against it because the alternative (The stock cluster) looks awful in comparison.

That being said:
- p*** poor ipod control
- DVD playback that's screwy
- Nav that is useless. Seriously. Search for the store "Target" in the city of "Irvine" in the state of California. Zero matches. Google map it. There are nothing less that three in the city. Ok, I can understand not finding a dentist, or small mom & pop store, but you can't find a single instance of a national chain?

If this were Amazon.com, I'd give it two stars.

Mat @ Automax gets five stars, but Flyaudio as a company gets no stars.
I agree with everything you said. However, the navigation you can fix yourself. I changed my navigation software (from the horrible Navigon that comes with the unit) to iGo8 and it's the best thing I ever did to the unit. WAY better maps and overall navigation.
Originally Posted by snoopin
Is there any updates on a newer version that fixes. Was thinking about getting one but after reading all those pages...
No updates, and there won't be any updates unless you write the software yourself. I doesn't bother me anymore, because 1) the alternative (stock non-nav console) is much worse, and 2) I've made so many changes to the unit to take advantage of what I have to work with that the bugs don't even bother me anymore.

Javier
Old 01-16-11, 10:30 AM
superfi77
Driver School Candidate

i like this unit. the iGo navigation is pretty good. The ipod control is better than having no control at all. The only thing I wish this system has is the clock. It's stupid not to have a built in digital clock. And of course if the company gives out software updates
Old 01-16-11, 02:52 PM
texas02118
Driver

Could someone who owns this unit list the bugs that this unit has?

So far the bugs that I've seen people list are:
1. Air bag light (apparently fixed)
2. ASL turning on and off while playing a cd? (I think someone mentioned this and that made me change my mind). I would like to know if all owners have this bug or it was just one isolated case.
3. Temperature in C instead of F. (Someone said this was fixed)
4. The steering wheel buttons sometimes do not work as they should when switching radio stations.

So far, that's all I know. If there are any other bugs let me know
Old 01-16-11, 06:21 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Mark and I posted a pretty comprehensive list back on pages 28 & 29:
Originally Posted by javyLSU
Ok, here's my wishlist for fixes on the FlyAudio unit:
  1. HVAC controls. When starting the A/C, the system defaults to manual outside air. IMO it should start in either 'Auto' or the last setting used.
  2. True iPod browsing. The ability to browse playlists, albums, genres, etc. Also showing album art would be awesome!
  3. Rear view camera mute. When shifting into reverse, the audio should remain on whatever device the system is currently using. Only the video feed should switch.
  4. RDS display. I don't know if this system has the capability to display RDS text, but I would love it if the screen showed this information.
  5. Radio station display is still off. When tuning to the radio stations, the frequency is accurate. However, before selecting that station from your list of presets, they show a bit off.
  6. Bluetooth connection. When playing the iPod, the iPod shows two connections ('DVD' and 'Dock Connector'), and the unit always selects 'DVD', which mutes the iPod playback. You have to go into the iPod and change the connection to 'Dock connector' to hear the iPod through the system. Also, sometimes the unit will force the bluetooth connection when playing iPod, after you've already selected 'dock connector' on the iPod. Once again, you have to go into the iPod and select 'dock connector' to re-enable iPod playback.
  7. When playing AVI videos through the USB interface, the time elapsed indicator shows throughout the entirety of the video. It should only display the first few seconds of playback.
  8. Ability to reprogram the 'DEST' button. This button essentially performs the same function as the 'NAVI' button, so the ability to reassign that button to a new function (like toggling bluetooth on or off, or perhaps going directly to the iPod playback screen) would be great.
That's my list!

Javier
Originally Posted by markolomew
Let me know what you would like to see in the next software update. I am currently working on a list of fixes for the next update and would like your input. Here is what I have listed so far:

Boss key:
*quick button sequence to turn off screen (for cops or just to black out screen)

iPod interface:
*play ipod video on screen
*search by alphabet letter (for artist, song, album)
*search by playlist
*more eye appealing layout

Customizable home screen
*he able to hide icons
*custom backgrounds
*change color/icons/theme
*optional startup noise/chime/custom sound

Radio:
*scrolling text of song info (stock has this happening to all stations at once)
*favorite station set

Bluetooth phonebook function

reassigning buttons (make them customizable)

AUX port disabled (wiring is correct, just need to be activated with the code)

Clock:
*Display at all times or hotkey to make it visible/hide

Brightness button tweak:
*it has been reported to me that after last patch it isn't working correctly
Old 01-17-11, 03:24 AM
MKsky
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with everything you said. However, the navigation you can fix yourself. I changed my navigation software (from the horrible Navigon that comes with the unit) to iGo8 and it's the best thing I ever did to the unit. WAY better maps and overall navigation.
No updates, and there won't be any updates unless you write the software yourself. I doesn't bother me anymore, because 1) the alternative (stock non-nav console) is much worse, and 2) I've made so many changes to the unit to take advantage of what I have to work with that the bugs don't even bother me anymore.

Javier
Please tell us what changes have you done to your unit and how to do it. I guess this is the only way to improve our unit.

Mark
Old 01-17-11, 05:45 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

After reading this thread and looking over the pros and cons of the unit and also giving that the flyaudio unit will still be much better than my current non navigation controls I went ahead and ordered mine hopefully it will be in this week so I can install it over the weekend.

I do have one question, since every one says that the system runs better on the iGo8 navigation software. Can any one point me in the right direction as to were to get it as I would like to upgrade the system with it right after the install.
Old 01-17-11, 08:43 AM
swyner
Driver School Candidate

Mark and I posted a pretty comprehensive list back on pages 28 & 29:
Please add the following:

1) When the last patch came out to change from Celsius to F, it corrected the F side but unforuntately in Canada, the reading even in F is wrong. For example, you have to set it to around 43 F for it to be 23 C or 72 F. Very strange but needs fixing

2) enable the USB input connection to have a USB Host driver so we can connect Wifi dongle and use software (WinCE patch) to use as computer
Old 01-17-11, 11:45 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by texas02118
Could someone who owns this unit list the bugs that this unit has?

3. Temperature in C instead of F. (Someone said this was fixed)
Not fixed. The temp displays in Celsius, but the number is inaccurate. Run my climate control between 38-42 whatever degrees it is.

Another good point: the bluetooth is pretty good.
Old 01-17-11, 11:53 AM
superfi77
Driver School Candidate

how come my temp is in F??
Old 01-17-11, 12:36 PM
texas02118
Driver

Maybe Automax can point us (US buyers) in the right direction when it comes to the temperature readings.

Since the bugs aren't too bad I am planning to get a navigation system soon. Maybe Automax can do a group buy or have a promotion like the one he had during "The Pursuit". Unfortunately, I missed that sale.
Old 01-17-11, 01:42 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

There must be an issue with Canadian spec compatibility, because all the temperature complaints seem to be coming from Canada. I've never had an issue with my temperature reading the correct degrees Fahrenheit.

Javier
Old 01-17-11, 07:03 PM
swyner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrraider
Not fixed. The temp displays in Celsius, but the number is inaccurate. Run my climate control between 38-42 whatever degrees it is.

Another good point: the bluetooth is pretty good.
Actually the temp is in F. Look again at your climate control. I think the problem is somewhere in the Canadian models trying to display C but it can't. 38-43F is where i keep it.

Bluetooth quality is actually excellent. Volume is good. Turn to 20-30 and can hear perfect even on highway. Only issue is software based having no phone book or name caller ID.

Quick Reply: FlyAudio In-Dash Multimedia GPS Navigation System for Lexus IS250/350