IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

GPS not holding calibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-09 | 03:00 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Default GPS not holding calibration

My GPS has not been holding calibration. It now says I'm driving my car somewhere of the coast of NJ in the Atlantic ocean.

The dash was removed a couple of months ago when the dealer replaced the a/c drain (that's another story covered in one of my other posts).

I called the dealer and explained and asked if an antenna wire got loose or became disconnected or was not properly reinstalled when they put everything back together. The service manager felt that it was unlikely, that it might be an ecu.

Question: are there codes that will indicate if it is an ecu failure or lack of an antenna signal? I don't want the dealer to give me a line of bs.

I know how to pull up the screen to get the error codes, but do not know how to interpret them. Also, anyone know what it would cost to replace the navigation ecu. I dread having to pay out more money after running a tab for other service, repairs, new TPMS and tires, all of which has added up to over $8k over the last 3 months. Needless to say, I'm less than impressed with Lexus reliability for a three year old car.
Old 11-21-09 | 03:06 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

the person who worked on your car is a tool. This happened to me too, after a week of going back and fourth with service manager they finnaly figured out becasue it would not show GPS on the screen which i told them to look for it.
the service guy forgot to plug in the antenna wire. you can check this your self if your car doesnt show GPS on top of the map screen.

My dash was out too because i was having issue with my mark levinson. Anyways this was done at lexus of cherry hill. I even have a post here about it. I wll post the link. Good Luck

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
My GPS has not been holding calibration. It now says I'm driving my car somewhere of the coast of NJ in the Atlantic ocean.

The dash was removed a couple of months ago when the dealer replaced the a/c drain (that's another story covered in one of my other posts).

I called the dealer and explained and asked if an antenna wire got loose or became disconnected or was not properly reinstalled when they put everything back together. The service manager felt that it was unlikely, that it might be an ecu.

Question: are there codes that will indicate if it is an ecu failure or lack of an antenna signal? I don't want the dealer to give me a line of bs.

I know how to pull up the screen to get the error codes, but do not know how to interpret them. Also, anyone know what it would cost to replace the navigation ecu. I dread having to pay out more money after running a tab for other service, repairs, new TPMS and tires, all of which has added up to over $8k over the last 3 months. Needless to say, I'm less than impressed with Lexus reliability for a three year old car.
Old 11-21-09 | 03:08 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

here is the link,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...very-week.html
Old 11-22-09 | 08:22 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Do you have a 2006 with the original navigation disc? If so, there is a TSIB, EL013-06, which has them replace your nav disc with one that has newer software that is MUCH better at locking the GPS signal. You'll also get that new software, though not for free, by buying a new map disc.

If the problem developed gradually, rather than immediately after they working on your dash, this is likely to fix your problem.
Old 11-23-09 | 06:01 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
Do you have a 2006 with the original navigation disc? If so, there is a TSIB, EL013-06, which has them replace your nav disc with one that has newer software that is MUCH better at locking the GPS signal. You'll also get that new software, though not for free, by buying a new map disc.

If the problem developed gradually, rather than immediately after they working on your dash, this is likely to fix your problem.
Thanks--shortly after I purchased the car in 2006 and I had the problem and my dealer replaced the nav disc per the TSB. At this point, I'm hoping the antenna wire came loose.
Old 11-24-09 | 07:16 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Update: Problem solved: dealer found that the GPS antenna wire was loose/ disconnected. My guess is that when they ripped the dash out couple of months ago, they either forgot to connect it or it came loose. Anyway, no charge for what was clearly their mistake.
Old 05-03-10 | 03:04 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

im having the same problem...sometimes my nav shows GPS, other times i'm lost out in the atlantic ocean...when i do the override (volume, top,bottom, etc) and click on GPS info, sometimes it shows 2 GPS signals, othertimes it shows 5 signals. but needless to say, my navi has no idea where i am. any clues?
Old 05-03-10 | 05:41 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I had this TSIB done on my car too. One time, I drove down to the Keys and on the way back, it had me out in the middle of the ocean!!!
Old 05-03-10 | 07:26 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nicelex13
im having the same problem...sometimes my nav shows GPS, other times i'm lost out in the atlantic ocean...when i do the override (volume, top,bottom, etc) and click on GPS info, sometimes it shows 2 GPS signals, othertimes it shows 5 signals. but needless to say, my navi has no idea where i am. any clues?
Yes, you have a 2006 with the original nav disc? As I said earlier in the thread, TSIB EL013-06 addresses your problem.