IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 owners good and bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-09, 11:58 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bdub06rp
I appreciate you letting me know the facts. I don't expect to get alot of negative feedback this being an IS forum. Im not too sure about comparing the IS with all the coupes. If I was to go that route I would have even less leg room for my passengers.
Just trying to be unbias here. Since you are in a IS forum. Most people would say that the IS is the best car in the world.
Old 11-30-09, 12:02 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he said probably so a little suggestion about model year wouldn't hurt and won't go off topic. i couldn't remember the exact changes to 08, but it has more changes made to it than 07. for model 07, they only added the shark fin, traction control can be turn off and changed 1 or 2 colors in the car and thats it, if i remembered correctly.

from when i was getting my car, it seems like the dealerships look at mileage rather than model year. so basically a 2006 and 2008 IS350 with the same milage would have very similar cost. well that was the case when i was buying my car so yeah...

anyways the only thing i don't like so far is the glove compartment, is a bit too small.

Last edited by someboy; 11-30-09 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-30-09, 12:03 AM
bdub06rp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Just trying to be unbias here. Since you are in a IS forum. Most people would say that the IS is the best car in the world.
I appreciate it man wasnt trying to have a pissing match. I am assuming I will get a lot more good than bad. Thanks again for your honest/unbias imput.
Old 11-30-09, 12:09 AM
bdub06rp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by someboy
from when i was getting my car, it seems like that dealerships look at mileage rather than model year. so basically a 2006 and 2008 IS350 with the same milage would have very similar cost. well that was the case when i was buying my car so yeah...
Im having trouble finding the 350 around here. The dealerships around me are heavily stocked with awd 250 because of our harsh winters. I am seeing that you are pretty spot on about them going by mileage. The searching I'm doing is coming up with many more 06/07 models compared to the newer.
Old 11-30-09, 12:18 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

yeah it is harder to find a 2008.... i think if you like to drive fast once in a while without the hassle of doing the peddle brake dance to turn off the traction control within 90MPH ( i think that was the limit when the traction control will kick back in if you press the traction control button) because sometimes i drive a bit fast, so the traction control kills my brake pads pretty fast. And if you love the shark fin thats on top of your car or doesn't want to buy a shark fin to stick on top of your 06, then go with 07. if you don't care about these, then 06,07 wouldn't matter much.

Last edited by someboy; 11-30-09 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-30-09, 01:15 AM
LEXX135
Pole Position

This car for me is by far the most beautiful sport luxury sedan ever made. I've always wanted this car since it first came out back in '06 and now I finally have one. I also have the 1IS but this new one just takes it all. Not only the exterior is nice but the interior is superb especially w/ navigation. Make sure you get the 350 otherwise you might regret it.
Old 11-30-09, 01:21 AM
bdub06rp
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help someboy. Lexx I will only buy the 350 after driving them. I knew I liked the 2gen IS but after driving the 350 I knew it was going to be the car I was going to park in my driveway.
Old 11-30-09, 01:29 AM
IS350HKS
Lead Lap

sounds good post pic if you really got the car!!!
Old 11-30-09, 01:37 AM
bdub06rp
Driver School Candidate

Do you mean if I really get the car? If not in the first post I said I will be waiting until spring to get it.
Old 11-30-09, 07:03 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default IS 350 good, clear coat sux

Great car, drives well, plenty of power. Excellent travel car for road trips. No issues except crazy recalls of steering racks & such. No rattles.
Only issues with car, is clear coat is pitted and spotted from alleged acid rain on hood, roof & trunk. Sides are fine.
Kept car waxed all the time. Good quality waxes, never driven in snow or salt roads. Under car port most of the time.
Dealership says nothing can be done. Told Lexus about it, no reply. So good luck with Paint up north.
Luckily the front is under a clear plastic bra. Don't know if I would purchase another Lexus. It looks good for a '10' year old Lexus
I have other vehicles that sit out in the weather all the time and the paint is fine.
Old 11-30-09, 07:11 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

i'd try to read up on all the recalls on the ISx50s.
Old 11-30-09, 07:49 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Likes: This is subjective but with the right mods (wheels & drop) the IS is the best looking car in its class. Its faster then most in class, neck and neck w/ the 335i (drivers race). Its extremely reliable. Quite ride (little road noise). With proper mods, handles good too.

Dislikes: in stock form, handling is a bit soft. Transmission has slight lag in downshifting. Cannot easily add horse power compared to other cars.

Summary: I would take my IS350, even after getting over the 'new car love' period over any other car on the road except, while keeping it realistic an IS-F, M3 or c63 AMG. But even those aren't realistic for me due to price. I still choose my IS350 over the Z's, G's, 335i, TL ect... not to mention all the American Muscle cars (Mustang ect...)

Am I bias, sure! But I truly feel the IS350 is the best out there overall.
Old 11-30-09, 10:14 AM
soupdawg
Pole Position

bought the is350 simply because it looks good, will last a long time, and performance is more than enough. i dont give a **** if a bmw is marginally better at handling when in the real world the difference will never matter. bmw handling is good for e-bragging...thats about it.
Old 11-30-09, 10:24 AM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i really dont know why ppl even compare the IS with Bimmers... i am confident to say that the bimmer only has one advantage over the IS which is handling..( stock form)
other then that.. can anyone tell me what else the bimmer wins in? styleing?.. hells no
interior styling? try again... reliability? i dont even need to answer that one...

so in a real world sure the bimmer handles better STOCK but how u gonna take corners when ur bimmmer wont even start lol

im not being bias jus cus i own a 350.. its jus facts besides the 335i will cost you more too and allot more over the years to maintain

edit: you could use that extra money and buy ur self a set of good coils Fsport rear sway and a set of nice wheels , then ull handle way better then the bimmer and do it lookin beter too with money left over in ur pocket

Last edited by L-S-D; 11-30-09 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-30-09, 10:27 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

Originally Posted by smokyis350
does not handle very good compared to 335/350z/G35/37
no leg room for back seats
not much performance modifications
paint is easy to chip
sides of leather seats gets crease too easily
stock exhaust is too quiet
Dude, SPOT ON.

My 2 biggest gripes are the questionable durability of the paint and the potential wear on the seat bolsters.

Here are my other pros/cons:
PRO's:
-Not a lot of them on the road compared to G's and 3-Series. At least where I live. I love having something most other people don't have.
-Great ride. Firm enough for fun, but not harsh like a 3-series.
-Quick. Excellent power train. This thing gets up and goes pretty good for a car of its class and size. I haven't noticed any lag in downshifting.
-Great gas mileage. I typically get 22-24 in town and 28-30 on the hwy with the IS350
-RELIABLE

Cons:
-Why does the steering wheel move on egress but not the seat?
-Proximity key should lock the doors when you walk away
-Paint durability SUCKS. Colors are nice though
-Mark Levinson is difficult to find... annoying for people who take sound seriously and don't want to go aftermarket
-NAVI doesn't let you do stuff when you're moving. VERY annoying.

So as you see, mostly nits on the Con side. Good luck with your hunt!

Quick Reply: IS350 owners good and bad?