IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Long trip = rear end/legs hurt

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-09, 06:31 AM
8UANEW1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Long trip = rear end/legs hurt

I recently had to travel for the Thanksgiving holiday... driving 5 hours one way. This is the first long trip I've taken and about three hours into the trip, the seat got so uncomfortable that my rear end and right leg started to hurt, no matter how I adjusted the seat. After a while, the seat seemed to be almost like sitting on a leather wallet- no cushioning and very uncomfortable. I'm 5'8" and 170 lbs, so it's not a weight issue. I never noticed anything like this in my Infiniti or Acura. Has anyone else?
Old 12-02-09, 06:53 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

i drove for 19 hours straight from Portland to LA and never had a problem, except for the bathroom breaks
Old 12-02-09, 06:59 AM
8UANEW1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by metalgear
i drove for 19 hours straight from Portland to LA and never had a problem, except for the bathroom breaks
Do you have the heated and cooled seats? I was wondering if they compromised cushioning for the ability to blow air through the seats.
Old 12-02-09, 07:07 AM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

i'd say the perforated leather makes the seat softer. on long road trips i like to use the cooled seats.
Old 12-02-09, 07:07 AM
thechosun
Driver

i did 12 hours Minnesota to Michigan, i am the same height and weight as you, didn't have any issues.

sometimes you just got to get out of the car and stretch your legs and circulate some blood
Old 12-02-09, 08:14 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 8UANEW1
Do you have the heated and cooled seats? I was wondering if they compromised cushioning for the ability to blow air through the seats.
yes i have the heated and cooled seats, it didn't bother me at all.
Old 12-02-09, 10:16 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by metalgear
19hours??? i did the p-town to LA (olympic/vermont) run in 16hours in my mkIII supra with only breakfast at dennys stop, oh yea and pee breaks leave the drive way at 03:30 and park at 21:30
Old 12-02-09, 10:19 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i enjoy long road trips in my car. not only do i get to break it in, but the leather seems just right and designed with ergonomics in mind. im 5"10", 190 lbs, and it feels fantastic. it doesnt feel cramped either. ive heard bad reviews from my friends who have the c63 amg, saying that the seats just wear them out and that the front side cockpit (driver door to center console) seemed smaller and a bit claustrophobic on their extended trips, causing for a bad driving experience. but stretching occassionally does help. needless to say two of my friends traded in their amg's for gs's....sacrificed a little power, but in return got more leg and body room to coincide with the luxury of a lexus.
Old 12-02-09, 08:40 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
19hours??? i did the p-town to LA (olympic/vermont) run in 16hours in my mkIII supra with only breakfast at dennys stop, oh yea and pee breaks leave the drive way at 03:30 and park at 21:30
well, there were a lot of cops hiding believe me i wanted to haul a** but i didnt have a radar detector so just went with the speed limit.
Old 12-02-09, 10:00 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those are some long trips! Just got back from a 12 hr trip to Missouri.
Old 12-03-09, 12:36 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Has anything changed with your physique or body since you last took a long trip? I'm finding just getting older contributes to extra soreness during roadtrips. Sometimes it's the body and it can't be helped. A lot of stretching is probably the best thing to do.
(LA to Portland in 19 hours? Daaaaaaaaang!)
Old 12-03-09, 06:16 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not too bad even though im 6 4
Old 12-03-09, 05:04 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I would have to agree with the original poster. After about 30min+, lower back begins to ache, as does my rear end. It's as if the seat cushion and adjustable lumbar is too hard and not "angled" correctly.

And yes, I have tried many different positions and cannot find a comfortable seating position at all. Rented a Pontiac G8 GT and no problems at all. Own a 2008 STi, no such pain issues over 3+hr drives with hardly any adjustments.

2006 IS350 with the cooled and heated seats.
Old 12-03-09, 05:44 PM
N87Turbo
Driver School Candidate

Im 6'4" and 235lbs and I drove my is350 back from dallas, TX (where I bought it) to aberdeen, SD it's about an 18hr drive and we did some sight seeing and stuff so it was actually about a 22-24 hour trip and neither myself or my friend had any problems with the seating.
Old 12-03-09, 06:22 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8UANEW1
I recently had to travel for the Thanksgiving holiday... driving 5 hours one way. This is the first long trip I've taken and about three hours into the trip, the seat got so uncomfortable that my rear end and right leg started to hurt, no matter how I adjusted the seat. After a while, the seat seemed to be almost like sitting on a leather wallet- no cushioning and very uncomfortable. I'm 5'8" and 170 lbs, so it's not a weight issue. I never noticed anything like this in my Infiniti or Acura. Has anyone else?
I hate to say it, but you are probably not sitting correctly. The most ergonomic position is usually not the one that is most comfortable at first, but after adjusting you can sit for hours with no issue.

To see what I am talking about, look at some pictures of astronauts in space, and the natural position the body takes... then adjust your seat to replicate that position.

Usually, the issue is that people are using wayyyyy less lumbar support than they need, thereby causing a forward bend in the spine that forces the vetebra to support your upper torso, rather than your back muscles. It will also force you to distribute your weight more evenly over your butt & thighs, rather than towards your tail bone.

The lumbar should feel like it is jutting into your back at first... but after a few minutes you'll find it's much more comfortable, and should relieve your pain.

Quick Reply: Long trip = rear end/legs hurt