IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New to site, about to purchase an IS, asking for help/comments

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-09, 07:42 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would personally recommend the IS350 even though you're in a snowy climate. Just like Kurtz said, there are people from snowy climates driving the 350. Heck, there are people with IS F's that drive in seriously snowy weather: (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...wday-pics.html)

I personally like my navigation system. Makes the interior the car look nice and I enjoy what it offers, but like Kurtz said, Garmin is just a more affordable option. I got the navigation with mine because it was the only MRM IS350 on the lot

The ML system is a GREAT thing to put in there, I would highly recommend it but I can't complain about the stock stereo system that comes with the car

Don't buy the car with pre-installed trunk lips or anything, like said earlier, you can buy from a vendor here and get it installed for cheaper.

I want to personally warn you - This car is very LIMITED with it's current modifications. There are no turbo chargers nor superchargers for this car. Right now we have some headers developed and about to be on sale for the car. Besides an intake and exhaust, there are currently no other options to add HP to this car (I am about a month behind reading the forums, so unless something propped up this last month, there isn't any). So if you're thinking "Ah, I'll buy a 250 and I'll mod it up to at least the 350's HP" don't expect that to really happen. Despite that, there are great lip kits/body kits for this car, as well as other aesthetic mods you can do for this car.

Good luck with your purchase! You've come to the right forum.
Old 12-05-09, 08:59 PM
dsm3FIDDY
Driver

I drove a RWD 250 one day, it was okay. Then i drove the 350 another day, WOW! I went with the 350. I wish there was a 350 AWD!
Old 12-06-09, 12:35 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dsm3FIDDY
I drove a RWD 250 one day, it was okay. Then i drove the 350 another day, WOW! I went with the 350. I wish there was a 350 AWD!
Why would you wanna slow down and kill the mileage on a nice car like the 350 with a heavy AWD system?
Old 12-06-09, 09:39 AM
dsm3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Why would you wanna slow down and kill the mileage on a nice car like the 350 with a heavy AWD system?
Because i too like to drive in the snow, sometimes.
Old 12-06-09, 05:15 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dsm3FIDDY
Because i too like to drive in the snow, sometimes.
Ok, so buy good snow tires. Car drives just fine with RWD in the snow that way. Hell, there's people driving IS-Fs in Canada in the snow with no problem with good snow tires and over 100 more hp than the 350 has.

Most of the country drove fine with RWD in the snow for most of the last century in fact.

Plus, the other 90% of the time you're NOT driving in snow the car will be lighter, faster, handle better, and get better mileage.

Last edited by Kurtz; 12-06-09 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-06-09, 05:29 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned my 2008 IS 350 for almost a year now.

I love it, but this is correct:

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Also, just be prepared that the car is pretty small inside. I've found the trunk to actually be pretty useful with usable space, but the back seats are pretty worthless....
So if this is a factor for you, you might want to consider something else. I'm 6'1 so I have always have the seat all the way back which means my backseat is useless in situations where I need to have more than just one more person in the car. And that happens often between my family and friends

For my next car, I don't know what I'm going to do because there's no bigger Lexus IS. That's what I really want.

I really like having the IS badge because it's an enthusiast's car so it's always a conversation topic when I talk about my IS - esp my IS 350 (would be better convo if I had an IS-F). I don't think the GS, TL, etc are the same like owning an IS (Maybe the TL type S but I don't like that car). I may have to go into the German car world when I'm ready to upgrade but let's see if I even have the money for it lol. I think I'd miss the Japanese reliability
Old 12-06-09, 05:36 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shahryar
For my next car, I don't know what I'm going to do because there's no bigger Lexus IS. That's what I really want.

I really like having the IS badge because it's an enthusiast's car so it's always a conversation topic when I talk about my IS - esp my IS 350 (would be better convo if I had an IS-F). I don't think the GS, TL, etc are the same like owning an IS (Maybe the TL type S but I don't like that car). I may have to go into the German car world when I'm ready to upgrade but let's see if I even have the money for it lol. I think I'd miss the Japanese reliability
Well, the GS is in many ways a larger IS (similar chassis design, and the GS350 even uses the same engine as the IS350)... that's probably about as close as you're gonna get.
Old 12-06-09, 05:48 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get the IS350 if you enjoy the performance. If not then get the 250 rwd. IMO no need for awd unless it makes you feel comfortable. Go check out the Chicago Region and post to see how many of us are RWD on snow tires. With us having similar winters it will give you a unbiased opinion.

I had an IS350 and now the GS430 and with snow tires they are fine. I was actually on the summer tires on the IS350 my first season. I only had a hard time getting up my driveway due to the incline.

In the end get what you want and makes you happy and allows you to feel confident in the snow. If you come to Chicago to purchase or look PM me and I will get you some contacts to help out.
Old 12-07-09, 08:56 AM
imports4me
Pole Position

Im going nuts debating what is the best option these days. i have an apt at lexus tomorrow to test drive and sit down with some firm numbers. i think what im going to do is have it down on paper the actual numbers of both options (250/350) then factor in the NAV and such. if the 350 is not that much more on a monthly basis, i will consider. I'll also have to factor in my insurance of both too.

Thank you to all for your comments and advice. all this is really helping me decide. i really dont want to sign a paper take it home and regret. this is a huge step for me as im coming for a integra so its not like your 4000 car..

what hurts the most is to think of how right now im living in wisconsin and have no gargage. that means my new IS will be sitting in the cold with a good number of days where snow and ice will be on it. it hurts to see it and also hurts when you brush off the snow and ice with your snow brush, thinking that you might be scratching something underneath.

i told myself im not rushing into this. i want one so bad, but if the numbers are not right i'll just wait under after winter....

thanks everyone. i'll surely post what i find out tomorrow.

questions:
Do you guys think the dealers asking price will be cheaper in the spring? they have some decmeber sale right now but im not sure what it is?

also, just so i know....the trims in the car (wood) is that easy to switch with another color trim (birdseye) and also what is the average price of the trims?

Last edited by imports4me; 12-07-09 at 09:03 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 12-07-09, 11:41 AM
2009is350
Driver

all depends what you are looking for, i refused to get the 250 just based on the fact that it had no power to it, i basically made my decision based on performance so it all depends what you are looking for but i would defined recommend the 350