IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New to site, about to purchase an IS, asking for help/comments

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-09, 09:17 AM
imports4me
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to site, about to purchase an IS, asking for help/comments

Hello all, just want to start off by saying that i have always admired and loved the IS250 / 350 models. i finally have decided to go ahead a purchase one. if everythig goes well, i should be taking one home this week. I have been doing some research on them and just wanted to get some feedback and comments from the actual owners.

I'm looking at the IS250 AWD. but the 350 is not that much more. Do you think for the money that the 350 is a better buy? is there a huge difference in the two other then the 102hp diff? also is the option of the NAV or even the NAV and surround sound a good upgrade?

right now im looking at the 2010 IS250 in starfire pearl. it will be either this color or the frost meca, and also, before signing the papers, is there anything that you regret not asking for or regret getting added in? is there anything that i can ask the dealership to throw in or negociate before signing?

sorry for the mass of questions, but i just want to make sure i get the most out of the dealership as possible. after all for the money we are spending.

i used to own a modded 94 integra and this is a huge step for me. i learned alot of things from that car and told myself i wont mod this one to that extend but we will see. I come from a big family with modded cars and it sucks when im the one left in the dust. but i think this buy will be perfect for me as i no longer want to beat around from light to light.

my one cuz has a nice garage, he used to own the lexus isf, but traded it in for the 05 nsx then traded it in for the 10 gtr, which is now running low 10's. he also has a 95 widebody 1200whp supra that is crazy fast.

anyways, alittle about myself.

thanks

Last edited by imports4me; 12-05-09 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spellcheck
Old 12-05-09, 09:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a pearl white/black 06 IS 250AWD.Dependable car but I found the 204 hp to be a bit sluggish and I'm not a hot rodder.The IS 350 is a great car but it won't work well with WI winters..
NAV and ML sound are very nice but expensive options.
Old 12-05-09, 09:41 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

AWD is your deciding factor. I haven't driven the new IS with RWD, however my brother has a RWD IS300 and it just doesnt move in any sort of inclement weather. That being said, I don't care for the IS 250 AWD that much. It doesn't exactly handle like a sports car and it is slow.

I believe that the best value in the market right now is the A4. AWD, good power, and excellent fuel economy. I can't speak to the reliability of the 2.0L Turbo, however that is the car I would reccomend. I can say that the IS lineup has been fairly reliable.
Old 12-05-09, 09:53 AM
imports4me
Pole Position

Joeb427 & Slegacy99. thanks for your comments, i originally factored in the wisconisn winters thats why my thoughts on the 250 awd drive would be better. for now this will be my all year round car so the 350 rw might be not such a good idea.

my plans as to modds is a lip kit, suspension and rims and thats about it. just to get around.

thanks again!!

as for the A4, its nice, but the IS has always been my fav!
Old 12-05-09, 10:36 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

now i dont know what a 350 is like in the snow BUT... from some of the guys on the board they say, just put on a good set of winter tires (blizzak) and drive with common sense and you'll be G.
Old 12-05-09, 10:54 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the AWD would be the better bet for you in the winter, but you have to first be okay with the fact that it will be a pretty "slow" car. Slow is of course relative to the times we are in and the fact that the car looks like it should be faster. I do know people with the 250 get buyer's remorse a few months after the fact, even though the specs are there for all to see.

Also, just be prepared that the car is pretty small inside. I've found the trunk to actually be pretty useful with usable space, but the back seats are pretty worthless.

I'd get the NAV if you have the budget. I think it makes the interior look better, and it is very convenient to be able to just get in the car and get where you need without worrying that you'll get lost or have to look for directions. I don't like the portable units as much because they are bulky for a small interior like ours and you'll get lazy installing it each time you go out over time. You can't just leave it installed because that's just begging to be stolen. So yeah, get the built-in NAV
Old 12-05-09, 11:11 AM
Edz71
Rookie

I have a 08 250 6 smt, I would agree the HP compared to the 350 is very very different. I enjoy driving a stick and the IS is set well for a lighter sedan regarding cornering and balance. As for driving a IS in the winter I haven't had any problems getting around in the city or the highway. I do find that if driving in a storm or when the roads haven't been cleaned I have to turn off the traction control, the car won't alow any slipage and the snow tires can't do what they are ment to do. I prefer a dedicated ice tire like the Toyo Garit or the Michilen X-ice they grip very well on ice when pulling away and hold straight when stopping. You can't drive your IS in the winter as you do in the summer so don't worry about performance you'll still have to drive acording to the road conditions no matter what season it is.

Cheers,......... Edz
Old 12-05-09, 11:13 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My opinions:

AWD250 vs. RWD350. No contest at all, get the 350. The AWD 250 is slow. The RWD 350 will drive just fine in the winter if you're a decent driver and put a good set of snow tires on it (not all-seasons).

There's several members on here in Chicago, Canada, and the northeast all driving around fine in 350s that way.

Under 500 hp AWD is a crutch for bad drivers or people too cheap to buy good tires, IMHO.

As to nav, prior to the 2010 models this wasn't even a question in my mind, the OEM nav was ancient in terms of features offered, and cost 10x more than a Garmin that did a lot more.

For 2010 they actually brought the nav into this century, so now it's only a little bit less capable than a Garmin for 10x the price. Up to you if the 10x the price is worth it to have it sit IN the dash vs. ON the dash.

I'd ask yourself this- how often do you really need to use the GPS in your car?

I use it constantly when I travel by plane other places (Garmin wins here since the OEM is stuck back home in my car).

I use it constantly if taking a trip outside a 50 mile radius of where I live. This happens a handfull of times each year. Garmin wins because of features like Lane Assist, 3D building views, and the fact it was $2000 less so that pays for a ton of roadtrip gasoline. And really moving it from dash to center console or back takes about 30 seconds. A nuvi is small enough to fit in your pocket if you're REALLY paranoid about it.

I use it just about never within 30-50 miles of where I live. Which is 90+ percent of my driving. Only exception is if I'm driving someplace/during a time I expect there might be a lot of traffic, since my Garmin routes me around it (Pre 2010 OEM navs lacked this feature entirely, and it's free on my Garmin but I think you have to pay monthly for it on the OEM 2010 system). So the Garmin wins here too because, again, it cost $2000 less, and the traffic data is free.

Plus it was $99 for lifetime map updates, versus $300 PER YEAR that Lexus asks for map update.

As to the stereo- you CAN get the Mark Levinson system without getting nav, and it's significantly better that the base system. $752 Invoice price when I bought mine, but you'll have to special order the car to get it.

Last edited by Kurtz; 12-05-09 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-05-09, 11:19 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

hi and welcome to the CL world imports4me.

I pretty much agree with what everyone previously posted. The back seats are not that bad. I'm 6'1 n I was ok comfortable sitting in the backseat. Although that was when I was at the dealership looking at the IS350. As long as your the driver, it does not matter how much space is in the back seats.

Definitely get the navigation system if you can fit that into your budget. It makes the interior look much nicer / cleaner.

One thing I wouldn't have done when buying the car is purchasing the low jack from the dealership. I hear you can have the low jack security installed from other places for half of what the dealership charges. yes i know im a sucker!

Also do not feel pressured to purchase the extended warranty at the point of signing the papers. You can purchase the extended warranty as long as the car is still in its original factory warranty. Not too sure what the 2010, but something like 4 year / 75,000 miles maybe? The point is you have time to decided when the purchase that warranty.

Hope all goes well for you at the dealership!
Old 12-05-09, 11:22 AM
Edz71
Rookie

[QUOTE=Kurtz;5051252]My opinions:

AWD250 vs. RWD350. No contest at all, get the 350. The AWD 250 is slow. The RWD 350 will drive just fine in the winter if you're a decent driver and put a good set of snow tires on it (not all-seasons).

There's several members on here in Chicago, Canada, and the northeast all driving around fine in 350s that way.

Under 500 hp AWD is a crutch for bad drivers or people too cheap to buy good tires, IMHO

You Sir are a very smart man .............
Old 12-05-09, 12:01 PM
imports4me
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sirkfc
I think the AWD would be the better bet for you in the winter, but you have to first be okay with the fact that it will be a pretty "slow" car. Slow is of course relative to the times we are in and the fact that the car looks like it should be faster. I do know people with the 250 get buyer's remorse a few months after the fact, even though the specs are there for all to see.

Also, just be prepared that the car is pretty small inside. I've found the trunk to actually be pretty useful with usable space, but the back seats are pretty worthless.

I'd get the NAV if you have the budget. I think it makes the interior look better, and it is very convenient to be able to just get in the car and get where you need without worrying that you'll get lost or have to look for directions. I don't like the portable units as much because they are bulky for a small interior like ours and you'll get lazy installing it each time you go out over time. You can't just leave it installed because that's just begging to be stolen. So yeah, get the built-in NAV

the NAV looks better but i honestly dont think i will use it that much as everywhere i go i pretty much know the way. its roughly 6000 upgrade. i'll see if i can get the dealership to cut me a deal, if not, ill think ill past.

any idea what the dealerships upcharge on the trunk spoiler?
Old 12-05-09, 12:12 PM
imports4me
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz
My opinions:

Under 500 hp AWD is a crutch for bad drivers or people too cheap to buy good tires, IMHO.

As to nav, prior to the 2010 models this wasn't even a question in my mind,
the OEM nav was ancient in terms of features offered, and cost 10x more than a Garmin that did a lot more.

For 2010 they actually brought the nav into this century, so now it's only a little bit less capable than a Garmin for 10x the price. Up to you if the 10x the price is worth it to have it sit IN the dash vs. ON the dash.

I'd ask yourself this- how often do you really need to use the GPS in your car?

I use it constantly when I travel by plane other places (Garmin wins here since the OEM is stuck back home in my car).

I use it constantly if taking a trip outside a 50 mile radius of where I live. This happens a handfull of times each year. Garmin wins because of features like Lane Assist, 3D building views, and the fact it was $2000 less so that pays for a ton of roadtrip gasoline. And really moving it from dash to center console or back takes about 30 seconds. A nuvi is small enough to fit in your pocket if you're REALLY paranoid about it.

I use it just about never within 30-50 miles of where I live. Which is 90+ percent of my driving. Only exception is if I'm driving someplace/during a time I expect there might be a lot of traffic, since my Garmin routes me around it (Pre 2010 OEM navs lacked this feature entirely, and it's free on my Garmin but I think you have to pay monthly for it on the OEM 2010 system). So the Garmin wins here too because, again, it cost $2000 less, and the traffic data is free.

Plus it was $99 for lifetime map updates, versus $300 PER YEAR that Lexus asks for map update.

As to the stereo- you CAN get the Mark Levinson system without getting nav, and it's significantly better that the base system. $752 Invoice price when I bought mine, but you'll have to special order the car to get it.

i didn't know this about the stereo system. thanks for your comments. this is help huge with my decisions.
Old 12-05-09, 12:42 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

trunk spoiler is about $200 for the part. i think u can get that from one of our venders here (lexus of westminister). the install is 10-15 minutes and its simple. just make sure the dealership is not charging u like 4-500 bucks !
Old 12-05-09, 12:56 PM
psychosane
Rookie

i'd choose 250 wid NAV before a 350 w/o NAV. i'm from socal so the 100+ hp doesnt really make much difference since im stuck in traffic all the time.
Old 12-05-09, 06:42 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 119 Likes on 45 Posts

If money isnt the issue, IS 350 Hands down. Cant go wrong. 100 + HP i s a big difference. Add some snow tires, like the other members have said and your good to goo...

Quick Reply: New to site, about to purchase an IS, asking for help/comments