IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bizarre Tire Wear Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-09, 08:33 PM
Copper_Hed
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bizarre Tire Wear Help!!!

2007 26000 miles, Option E OEM rims, tires, suspension.

Driver side front, inboard side, first row of tread block. Looks as if something is rubbing against the tire! Just noticed it by accident tonight when I pulled in the garage, the wife saw it. Wore down into the belts! Outside row of blocks in the tread "getting there" two center rows have plenty of tread.
Now I started checking immediately, passenger side front tire shows more wear on the outboard side block of tread than the inner, center two rows again look fine.
I check tire pressure weekly. Running 42 per the owners manual.

Front 225/40R18 88Y

Rear 255/40R18 95Y

I have to get fronts immediately! Does this sound like "normal" wear, or do I need alignment checked?
Car handles and drives fine, would not have known if we had not accidentally spied the wear.
Thanks!

Edit: What is the difference between Pilot Sport PS2 and Pilot Sport PS2 ZP?
P.S. Please recommend a more quiet tire than these OEM Bridgestones!!
Old 12-05-09, 09:12 PM
BoOst3d
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

camber wear....sounds kinda normal with that amount of miles on those tires
Old 12-05-09, 09:15 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lam N 002
i was about to say the same thing
Old 12-06-09, 12:46 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Copper_Hed
2007 26000 miles, Option E OEM rims, tires, suspension.

Driver side front, inboard side, first row of tread block. Looks as if something is rubbing against the tire! Just noticed it by accident tonight when I pulled in the garage, the wife saw it. Wore down into the belts! Outside row of blocks in the tread "getting there" two center rows have plenty of tread.
Now I started checking immediately, passenger side front tire shows more wear on the outboard side block of tread than the inner, center two rows again look fine.
I check tire pressure weekly. Running 42 per the owners manual.

Front 225/40R18 88Y

Rear 255/40R18 95Y

I have to get fronts immediately! Does this sound like "normal" wear, or do I need alignment checked?
Car handles and drives fine, would not have known if we had not accidentally spied the wear.
Thanks!

Edit: What is the difference between Pilot Sport PS2 and Pilot Sport PS2 ZP?
P.S. Please recommend a more quiet tire than these OEM Bridgestones!!
250 or 350?

I don't know what OEM spec for tire pressure is for 250s, but the car door jam in my 350 says 37 rear, 35 front of tire pressure if you are running OEM tires.

I think i would get an alignment first before swapping to new tires to see if there's a worn suspension component that's wearing your tires out.

I have pilot sport ps2 and i love them. I don't know about the ZP. Search it up!
Old 12-06-09, 01:33 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

My door jam says 35/38 front to rear.
Old 12-06-09, 02:42 AM
dough boi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lam N 002
But if the suspension is stock I wouldn't expect camber wear. Also if it was camber wear it shouldn't wear both "edges" of the tires He states that the outsides of the tires look more worn than the center. Camber wear would just be the inside (in most cases).
Old 12-06-09, 03:06 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
My door jam says 35/38 front to rear.
Close enough...
Old 12-06-09, 03:23 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dough boi
But if the suspension is stock I wouldn't expect camber wear. Also if it was camber wear it shouldn't wear both "edges" of the tires He states that the outsides of the tires look more worn than the center. Camber wear would just be the inside (in most cases).
Agreed. I would suggest low tire pressure, but it sounds like this was covered. Make sure to get an alignment when the new tires are installed.
Old 12-07-09, 06:39 AM
Copper_Hed
Rookie

Thanks all.
Will get alignment checked after new tires today, hopefully!
Book says 35/38 ADD 7.2 for speeds over *** mph.
I know how my wife drives. ;-D
So we're sayin' 25000 is about it for OEM Bridgestones?
Are we in agreement that the Michelins are a good lower noise replacement?
Searching locally for them now.
Thanks Again.
Old 12-07-09, 06:51 AM
shui3000
Pole Position

hey, make sure you get a lifetime alignment, it'll save some money in the long run.

oem's were noisy as hell. i got kuhmo ecsta asx. they're awesome. i'd highly recommend them. but yeah, you can never ever go wrong with michelin. it's just a matter of whether or not you want to save some money.
Old 12-07-09, 06:53 AM
shui3000
Pole Position

btw, go on tires-easy.com

i'm pretty sure they have the lowest prices (i searched extensively), and then i went to discount tire and they price match and offer a warranty that you can't beat.

i got a one inch hole in my sidewall and they replaced the whole tire (i dunno anyone else that offers a warranty like that).
Old 12-07-09, 08:36 AM
Copper_Hed
Rookie

My local guy said go with the all weather version Pilot. Longer tread life.
Old 12-07-09, 08:56 AM
KoSC300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd got with Michelins over Bridgestone anyday.
Old 12-07-09, 05:43 PM
rinthiran
Rookie

Originally Posted by Copper_Hed
Thanks all.
Will get alignment checked after new tires today, hopefully!
Book says 35/38 ADD 7.2 for speeds over *** mph.
I know how my wife drives. ;-D
So we're sayin' 25000 is about it for OEM Bridgestones?
Are we in agreement that the Michelins are a good lower noise replacement?
Searching locally for them now.
Thanks Again.
Most of us on our first set of OEM tires get 23k - 28k miles depending on how hard we drive; so you're in that range. I got 23k from my Dunlop Sport Maxx OEM.

At 23k, I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S All-Season tires. It gave me 36k miles. Its a slight down-grade from summer tires in terms of ultimate grip, but for regular commute purposes, its perfect especially if you get a lot of bad weather. Michelins (both the summer and all season tires) seem to have the best low-noise ratings. To be honest, I'm quite surprised how good the Pilot Sport A/S are for daily use.

I'm on my 3rd set of tires, and I switched back to summer tires just to see how much I missed it. I got Goodyear F1s, and I'm happy with them. A little more ultimate grip than the all-season tires especially during hard braking and cornering, and I hope to get about 30 - 33k from them. On tirerack.com com, they seem to have the longest life of summer tires.
Old 12-07-09, 06:36 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rinthiran
Most of us on our first set of OEM tires get 23k - 28k miles depending on how hard we drive; so you're in that range. I got 23k from my Dunlop Sport Maxx OEM.

At 23k, I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S All-Season tires. It gave me 36k miles. Its a slight down-grade from summer tires in terms of ultimate grip, but for regular commute purposes, its perfect especially if you get a lot of bad weather. Michelins (both the summer and all season tires) seem to have the best low-noise ratings. To be honest, I'm quite surprised how good the Pilot Sport A/S are for daily use.

I'm on my 3rd set of tires, and I switched back to summer tires just to see how much I missed it. I got Goodyear F1s, and I'm happy with them. A little more ultimate grip than the all-season tires especially during hard braking and cornering, and I hope to get about 30 - 33k from them. On tirerack.com com, they seem to have the longest life of summer tires.
goodyear f1's are good for about 10k miles. then the noise is flucking insane. im trying to wear mine out quick so i can switch to some toyo proxes

Quick Reply: Bizarre Tire Wear Help!!!