IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sirius Satallite factory installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 10:00 PM
Tasty
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sirius Satallite factory installation

Hi! I'm new to CL finally bought my new Lexus IS250 AWD, my first Lexus was an IS300 really excited to be part of the 2nd Gen Lexus family.......Now here's my first post hopefully someone can help me....I'm wanting to install Sirius Radio into my car but the dealership is charging me an arm and a leg but I found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

It's a plug and play device has anyone installed this in their IS? Any problems? Please let me know...Thanks
Old 12-09-09, 05:26 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tasty
Hi! I'm new to CL finally bought my new Lexus IS250 AWD, my first Lexus was an IS300 really excited to be part of the 2nd Gen Lexus family.......Now here's my first post hopefully someone can help me....I'm wanting to install Sirius Radio into my car but the dealership is charging me an arm and a leg but I found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

It's a plug and play device has anyone installed this in their IS? Any problems? Please let me know...Thanks

Get the XM kit instead. Since they merged you can get just about identical programming on either system, and the XM kit is a MUCH easier and MUCH cleaner kit to install. Cost will be about the same if you get it from Sewell or one of the other forum vendors.

The XM kit installs 100% in the trunk, is totally plug and play, and requires removing nothing but a couple of plastic trunk panels.

The Sirius kit installs under your seat, and requires taking the dash apart. Plus it doesn't use the factory Sharkfin, you'll have to install an ugly external antenna (or spend $50 on an adapter and still run the wire yourself)

That Ebay kit is by VAIS, it's not the factory kit BTW. It'll work, but it's still a much less elegant solution than the OEM Lexus XM kit.
Old 12-09-09, 09:58 AM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year IS did you purchase? I thought all new models come with Sirius XM already? I have it in my car and didn't pay extra for it. They just require me to subscribe after 4 months of complimentary service if I want to have it.
Old 12-09-09, 01:36 PM
SIGALPHGIO
Rookie

I installed this kit in my 09 IS.

complete plug and play and EXTREMELY easy to do.. it plugs in to the back of the radio and mounts under the passenger seat. however . on the IS there is alot of room behind the radio to properly mount. do it... its so easy a caveman can do it!
Old 12-09-09, 01:48 PM
Tasty
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2007 IS250 I brought it to the dealer and on 06 to 08 they dont come with satellite radio its an option they can add on. I'll most likely buy this kit on ebay and hopefully dont mess anything up. I'll post up some pics after installing.
Old 01-04-10, 08:35 AM
dl744tga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Get the XM kit instead. Since they merged you can get just about identical programming on either system, and the XM kit is a MUCH easier and MUCH cleaner kit to install. Cost will be about the same if you get it from Sewell or one of the other forum vendors.

The XM kit installs 100% in the trunk, is totally plug and play, and requires removing nothing but a couple of plastic trunk panels.

The Sirius kit installs under your seat, and requires taking the dash apart. Plus it doesn't use the factory Sharkfin, you'll have to install an ugly external antenna (or spend $50 on an adapter and still run the wire yourself)

That Ebay kit is by VAIS, it's not the factory kit BTW. It'll work, but it's still a much less elegant solution than the OEM Lexus XM kit.
OK, I will bite. LOL What is the XM kit link? We also have the 2007 IS250 AWD, no ML radio,6 Cd changer but our radio does have the aux/Sat button and the shark fin antennae. We are currently using a sirius portable that we plug into the AUX jack on the radio, but we then loose the cigarette lighter plug that we would rather use for the Christmas present GPS.

Kinda handy around a car, and don't mind taking a few trunk panes off to do it. Does the XM use the shark fin as well? Thanks
Old 01-04-10, 09:25 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dl744tga
OK, I will bite. LOL What is the XM kit link? We also have the 2007 IS250 AWD, no ML radio,6 Cd changer but our radio does have the aux/Sat button and the shark fin antennae. We are currently using a sirius portable that we plug into the AUX jack on the radio, but we then loose the cigarette lighter plug that we would rather use for the Christmas present GPS.

Kinda handy around a car, and don't mind taking a few trunk panes off to do it. Does the XM use the shark fin as well? Thanks

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...id=90062&all=Y

I'd call em on the phone to verify it's the right part for your year, and use the 10% club lexus promo code... but other than removing a few trunk panels the entire thing is plug and play, all done in the trunk, plugs right into the shark fin connector, ends up being exactly like if you'd ordered the XM option from the factory. WAY easier than the Sirius OEM install.
Old 01-04-10, 11:32 AM
dl744tga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...id=90062&all=Y

I'd call em on the phone to verify it's the right part for your year, and use the 10% club lexus promo code... but other than removing a few trunk panels the entire thing is plug and play, all done in the trunk, plugs right into the shark fin connector, ends up being exactly like if you'd ordered the XM option from the factory. WAY easier than the Sirius OEM install.
To Cool!!! Thanks Kutrz!!! You have made the Mrs very happy (and we all know that if the Mrs aint happy, nobody is happy .