IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

bagged my first deer with my IS tonight

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-09, 07:22 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bagged my first deer with my IS tonight

On my way home from work tonight, a deer darted across the (it was dark) two lane road, and I could tell the car heading in the other direction was going to hit the deer--I slowed down and started to steer out of the way, but when the other car hit the deer, it ricocheted off of the car and landed on the other side of the road--right in my path--I had no time to react and the IS ran over the deer at around 20 mph. What an awful feeling, bump, bump, bump, thump - I just killed Bambi. Yikes, how did that happen. I looked in my rear view mirror and I could see the deer was not moving. I felt bad. I pulled over and called 911 to let them know that a deer was lying in the street, I was concerned that someone could get into an accident swerving out of the way or running over deer. Surprisingly, my car had no visible front end damage but when I got home and made a sharp turn into the driveway, I heard a rubbing/scraping sound. So I got out with a flashlight and looked under the car--there was a bit of fur stuck to the underside of the car, and the air dam and some the sheet metal that it was attached to was bent back about six inches. Anyway, the IS made out much better than the deer.
Old 12-16-09, 07:35 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
On my way home from work tonight, a deer darted across the (it was dark) two lane road, and I could tell the car heading in the other direction was going to hit the deer--I slowed down and started to steer out of the way, but when the other car hit the deer, it ricocheted off of the car and landed on the other side of the road--right in my path--I had no time to react and the IS ran over the deer at around 20 mph. What an awful feeling, bump, bump, bump, thump - I just killed Bambi. Yikes, how did that happen. I looked in my rear view mirror and I could see the deer was not moving. I felt bad. I pulled over and called 911 to let them know that a deer was lying in the street, I was concerned that someone could get into an accident swerving out of the way or running over deer. Surprisingly, my car had no visible front end damage but when I got home and made a sharp turn into the driveway, I heard a rubbing/scraping sound. So I got out with a flashlight and looked under the car--there was a bit of fur stuck to the underside of the car, and the air dam and some the sheet metal that it was attached to was bent back about six inches. Anyway, the IS made out much better than the deer.
I'm calling PETA!

j/k

Glad you're ok and safe
Old 12-16-09, 07:49 PM
OutCaster
Lead Lap

So the deer didn't make it?
Old 12-16-09, 07:52 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

yikes, been there.

if you want your car fixed using insurance money you have to call the cops to file a police report.

jersey is probably the worst state when it comes to deer.

glad you're ok.
Old 12-16-09, 08:12 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Holly crap, thats the first time i heard anything about running over a deer.. Glad you and your car are ok.. btw lucky your car wasnt lower!
Old 12-16-09, 08:15 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

lolz Xmas comes early for you , take the deer home and have deer jerky lolz ahahhahhahah
Old 12-17-09, 06:55 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

shiu3000 is right about the deer problem in NJ, it's crazy, especially during their mating season (November). Don't clean any of the fur off until the insurance adjuster has seen the damage. The good thing about a deer collision is that it is filed under the comprehensive (rather than collision) provision of your policy, which often has a lower (or no) deductible and generally doesn't trigger a rate increase.
Old 12-17-09, 07:02 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

poor bambi, but im blitz 714 on this, deer jerky is awesome
Old 12-17-09, 07:59 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

You might want to invest in a rifle and hunting license for future "kills".
Old 12-17-09, 09:20 AM
joeker
Racer

ouch! mm deer jerky...
Old 12-17-09, 09:23 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

People pay thousands of dollar for hunting a deer, and now you got it for free. Insurance will pay for your damage anyway.
Old 12-17-09, 09:29 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

wow that sucks atleast ur ok! poor deer but im with the others free deer meat! any idea on the points?
Old 12-17-09, 09:49 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you made it out okay, i'd get an insurance agent out to see the damage and perhaps get it fixed or if possible fix it yourself.

But i think you should look into get an alignment if it was big of a hit, it might have knocked your car out of balance which maybe a reason why your rubbing.
Old 12-17-09, 09:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry to hear about the hit (to the IS). I dodge a few deer where I live sometimes.
Old 12-17-09, 10:04 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Darwinism in action! Too bad your car received collateral damage.

Quick Reply: bagged my first deer with my IS tonight