IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Carbon fiber overlay / fabric or sticker.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09 | 08:33 AM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Default Carbon fiber overlay / fabric or sticker.....

Ok so I have some carbon material from awhile back before they made the sticker. For those that have fabric overlay is it a hassle to clean or keep clean or is the sticker better than the fabric. I feel like I should use it cause I got it rather than buying the sticker. Please chime in on any opinions about both.
Old 12-22-09 | 08:42 AM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Is it just me or does this not make sense?
Old 12-22-09 | 09:23 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

im confused also? are you trying to use real cf fabric, or carbon looking fabric
Old 12-22-09 | 09:33 AM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nmpeter
Is it just me or does this not make sense?
Ya it's just you bro...... It's simple, I am merely asking if it's better to go with sticker or fabric? Since I already have the fabric my question then became, is the fabric is to clean because in reality everything gets dirty. Now as far as sticker goes you can just wipe it down with a damp cloth and "TADA" it's good to go again. Now is it the same for those who have the fabric? Hope that I made it more simple for you.
Old 12-22-09 | 09:37 AM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mv350
im confused also? are you trying to use real cf fabric, or carbon looking fabric
I don't think any one here has done real carbon fabric yet. What i am refering to is the cloth because those are the two main threads on this forum in regards to cf overlay. Sticker or fabric.
Old 12-22-09 | 09:44 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

well the sticker is going to scratch and show blemishes just as easy or easier than you trim right now. the fabric you just wipe down with water and your good. it wont show scratches and blemishes as easy
Old 12-22-09 | 09:47 AM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

I don't think any one here has done real carbon fabric yet. What i am refering to is the cloth because those are the two main threads on this forum in regards to cf overlay. Sticker or fabric.
Old 12-22-09 | 09:53 AM
RobzKar
Lead Lap

well the sticker is going to scratch and show blemishes just as easy or easier than you trim right now. the fabric you just wipe down with water and your good. it wont show scratches and blemishes as easy
Right on thank you. I just wanted to get an idea because of so many goin with sticker now. I just did not want the cloth to go to waste. Thanks again.
Old 12-22-09 | 10:32 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

no problem sir, i know you already have the stuff to do it, but the one from aerotect is like a sticker, but on top does not feel like a sticker, feels more like a fabric
Old 12-22-09 | 11:04 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

well since you already have the fabric you might as well use it. and if its horrible to upkeep, you can buy the sticker. but if you go off buying the sticker first, you'll never know how well the fabric would have performed and you would have wasted your money. so just go ahead and use the fabric haha
Old 12-22-09 | 12:42 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

OK, well I haven't seen any posts from someone who actually has both the fabric and the film.... so since I have both, here's the assessment:

I actually have had the fabric on for several months (probably close to 6 months) with no issues. I have to redo a few pieces due to some excess glue causing the material to not lay flat. I then bought some of the vinyl film to see if it was easier to work with.

Both look really good. I would say the film looks a tad darker than the fabric.

The fabric has a nicer feel. When you feel the sticker, it's fairly clear it's vinyl.

For ease of cleaning...well vinyl is obviously easy to clean. Turns out that the fabric is easy to clean as well. I spilled some stuff on the fabric and it comes off no problem.

I do not agree that the vinyl is easy to scratch.

I would think that it's possible to snag the fabric and cause a "run" so from this standpoint the vinyl film might be more resilient...but again, I have not had an issue with the fabric.

Overall both look great. The fabric is certainly harder to work with. It is stretchy, but not a stretchy as the vinyl.

If you mess up with the fabric it's a pain in the *** to redo it. You need to clean it all up with goo gone, etc. The vinyl just peels right off and you can redo it....

Another thing, an exposed edge of the fabric can fray. You can resolve this by heating with a lighter to "singe" it. The vinyl obviously doesn't have this issue.

So, honestly, I prefer the vinyl because it's just plain easier to work with, easier to remove later on, and probably more durable.
Old 12-22-09 | 12:46 PM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Whats your paypal i'll buy the fabric off of you since they dont make the kit for the 6MT
Old 12-22-09 | 12:51 PM
Rash
hmm

I think he meant...

Fabric = film, like neffy wrap
Sticker, also film, but printed CF design
Old 12-22-09 | 01:05 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

nefty wrap FTW , sticker so lame, i've seen it and its so ripped off $$$
Old 12-22-09 | 01:59 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

^^ I didn't see much of a difference myself, but I guess it's personal preference...neither are as cool as real CF thou

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber overlay / fabric or sticker.....