IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Snow Tire - Anybody install only 2 tires for the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-09, 03:02 PM
07-IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Tire - Anybody install only 2 tires for the rear?

For many years I only install snow tires on the rear of rear drive cars I have owned.

Now it appears that snow tires are installed on all 4 wheels.

Anyone have experience with installing only snow tires on the rear?
Old 12-29-09, 03:09 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Good writeup here... I was just thinking about this yesterday during a 12 hour drive from Indiana to NC mostly on snowy roads.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/winterFAQ.dos

Q. Do I need winter tires?
A. If you live in an area where the temperature is consistently below 45 degrees you do.
Winter tires are not like All-Season tires. Winter tires have special rubber compounds designed to improve traction, handling and braking in all cold weather conditions, not just ice and snow. See our Tire Safety Below 45° article for more information.

Q. How many winter tires are recommended?
A. Four.
Of the hundreds of questions we get every year regarding winter tires this is the most frequently asked. The answer is the same for every vehicle type, whether you drive a compact car or SUV

Q. Why are four winter tires recommended?
A. For traction, control and safety.
Many people assume that the two drive wheels are most important and the other two tires sort of tag along. This idea was valid twenty or more years ago when snow tires were different only in their tread design. Today's winter tires have different compounds and designs that deliver from 25 to 50 percent more traction in snow and ice, and stay pliable in cold weather allowing for more control on dry roads. Using just two on a vehicle creates a traction mismatch that can have serious handling consequences. Using four winter tires ensures optimum traction and control for all vehicle types. It is always recommended to use four winter tires, it's the cheapest insurance you can buy to protect yourself, your family and others.

Q. What can happen if I only use two winter tires?
A. Running only two winter tires can cause you to lose control of any vehicle. Here's why:
Front Wheel Drive Vehicles Even though the front wheels are responsible for steering, acceleration and most of the braking, don't forget about the braking done by the rear wheels. If the rear wheels are not equipped with winter tires too, you are essentially disabling the rear brakes due to lack of traction. The following is an example of what can happen using only winter tires on the front.

Traveling along in your neighborhood at 25 mph in just light snow, you begin to slow down to make a right turn. As you apply the brakes, your winter tires are doing their job, giving you all the traction you need to slow down. At the same time, the all-season tires on the rear are giving you much less traction causing the rear of your vehicle to slide around. Perhaps at slow speeds no harm is done, but what if this had occurred at highway speeds?

Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles Many people think that winter tires on the rear will solve the acceleration problem in ice and snow. However, getting your vehicle to accelerate is only half the battle, because you still need to stop. The majority of braking is done with the front brakes, and failing to put tires designed for cold weather on the front of the vehicle can have disastrous consequences. Also, keep in mind that steering is the sole function of the front tires. With insufficient traction on the front tires, it's like not being able to firmly grasp the steering wheel.

Now that you know this, how confident would you feel if your vehicle was equipped with only rear winter tires? What if you were driving on snow, ice, or even cold pavement at 45 mph and suddenly had to brake and swerve to avoid an accident? Chances are you would be unable to stop and turn in time.

All-Wheel Drive or Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles During the winter you would never purposefully disconnect your four-wheel drive and use just two-wheel drive instead. Yet that is exactly what you are doing if you use just two winter tires. The traction mismatch basically "disconnects" the two other wheels not equipped with winter tires. This leaves you open to the control problems cited in the other two sections, depending upon where you mount the winter tires.

Q. Do I need winter tires to improve traction if my vehicle has Traction Control?
A. Yes.
Even though traction control optimizes the traction of your tires in adverse conditions by preventing wheel spin, this specialized system does not create additional tire traction. Traction always depends on the four contact patches created by the tires. The better traction your tires provide, the more effectively the traction control system will help you drive more safely. Cold temperatures will cause all-season compounds to harden, losing pliability and traction. See our Winter Tires vs. All-Season Tires article for more information.

Q. My vehicle has ABS brakes; does that eliminate the need for winter tires?
A. No.
An ABS braking system prevents "locking-up" the brakes by "pulsing" them as you apply pressure to the pedal. Remember that the tires on your vehicle supply the traction and help the ABS deliver faster stops. Tires built with better winter traction will improve overall braking performance on ice, snow, and cold roads.
Old 12-29-09, 03:24 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Great article, saw a guy today with that exact setup. Two winter tires in the rear. Then I wondered which is better 4 all seasons or 2 all seasons & 2 winters...My guess would be that 4 all seasons would generally be better bc it is more of a balanced setup overall vs unbalanced setup with the 2/2 combo.
Old 12-30-09, 06:22 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 07-IS350
For many years I only install snow tires on the rear of rear drive cars I have owned.

Now it appears that snow tires are installed on all 4 wheels.

Anyone have experience with installing only snow tires on the rear?
Considering the importance of traction comes into play when turning and braking, snow tires in just the rear aren't the best idea. Initial traction is great, but most risks happen in motion, where people can't stop or properly control the vehicle.
Old 12-30-09, 12:09 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

cheap idiots buy only rear tires. If anything, I think its worse then buying 0 winter tires. Because the 2 rear tires accelerating so nicely will give you a false sense of how good the car is driving in the bad weather. Then once you have to brake and/or turn, your SCREWED.
Old 12-30-09, 01:25 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RpmSteve
cheap idiots buy only rear tires. If anything, I think its worse then buying 0 winter tires. Because the 2 rear tires accelerating so nicely will give you a false sense of how good the car is driving in the bad weather. Then once you have to brake and/or turn, your SCREWED.
Keep in mind that most people are not as knowledgeable about cars as those on this forum (and others). Growing up in CT, our RWD cars always had snows only in the rear because my dad *thought* that you were only supposed to put them on the rear.

Given that I see so many people driving around without a clue about their car (not knowing high-beams are on, not knowing headlights are off at night, wearing iPod ear buds, tailgating during blizzard conditions or rain storms), I can't really get hyped up that people would only use 2 snow tires. Hell--I'll bet a good percentage of the population doesn't even know if their car is RWD, or, if they do know, what the hell that means.