IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 Extended Warranty and All Weather Floor Mats

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-10, 02:36 AM
Golojr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 Extended Warranty and All Weather Floor Mats

I am new to the Lexus ownership and looking in to buying extended warranty and all weather floor mats. Any suggestions?
Old 01-03-10, 05:36 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Golojr
I am new to the Lexus ownership and looking in to buying extended warranty and all weather floor mats. Any suggestions?
You live in a messy area get the all weather mats
I'm in CT, I put mine in in October and take them out in April.

Extended warranty. What's your useage of the vehicle and how long do you keep it.

I just bought a '09 Porsche Boxster
It will not get a lot of mileage and I figure I'll keep it at least 7yrs so i took the extended warranty when the dealer met my price. This car replaced my '03 SC430 (2nd one - '02 SC430), gave them back at the end of the leases, No extended warranties.

My '07 IS250 has a 4yr warranty and I took out a 4yr lease. They'll probably get the car back at the end of the lease.

Wife's '02 ES300 doesn't get much mileage, we own it and Lexus' don't break very often. Didn't take the warranty.

My kids '05 & '06 Hyundai santaFes both picked up used. I bought them 10yr/100K extended warranties as this may be the first/last car i get them.

Old 01-03-10, 06:29 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a person in the automotive repair industry, I would HIGHLY recommend against these warranties on a car like the Lexus. If you research the parts they cover, versus the parts that "sometimes" break you will see a GROSS contradiction! Their is a reason they push these warranties down you throat, HINT they make HUGE money on them! If you were buying a vehicle like a BMW, Merc, Jag, even some P-cars, I would say sure, you may have a 20% (at best) chance of recouping your money. But a Lexus... when was the last time you heard someone say they popped a motor or transmission in under 100k miles in a Lexus/Toyota? The rates of failure of these "expensive" items on this type of vehicle are EXTREMELY low. I would say that in my experience, in my own shop, which services around 70 vehicles a week for the last 20 years I have seen these warranties pay off maybe 8 too 10 times MAX. Almost EVERY time the warrant company comes up with a reason to NOT cover something, or they only cover a small portion. Their answers are ALWAYS the same, "Sorry,We DON'T cover THIS", "Oh, that was caused by another part which we don't cover." HINT here Google these warranty company's you see on TV all the time, see all the complaints against them. http://easternnc.bbb.org/article/bbb...ompanies-11719 At least one of these companies is owned by a CONVICTED FELON!!
My advice, Take the money the warranty would cost you and put it into a 5 year CD (given that the length of your factory warranty) and at the end of the factory warranty period, if you still have the car, that the extra money and put it in your savings account. If you then need it, you can take it out, if you don't (and that's my bet!) Look at all the money you just saved! Hoped this helps. The only warranties I recommend are the wheel warranties, and that's only if they are of the low cost variety from a reputable company.

Last edited by ming15237; 01-03-10 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-03-10, 07:38 AM
spicaly
Driver

all weather floormats i'd look on ebay for

extended warrenty if you decide to get it look up Troy Dietrich on the site, or on google, as he usually offers the best price
Old 01-03-10, 08:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The 2IS has a -lot- of fairly complex (and expensive) electronics and gadgets, all costly to replace, all covered under extended warranty. Many of which we've seen folks report problems on here (auto tilt mirrors, CDs getting stuck in the head unit, ML subs failing, nav unit issues, power steering ECU and more)

That's the reason to buy one IMHO, not because you think the engine will fail (it almost certainly won't).

At the MSRP it's still a bad deal. At the $50 over cost you can get it for it's a pretty good one since that's about half price.

Search on here for extended warranty and you'll find two names come up repeatedly (with contact info)... Troy Dietrich and Toby Rivers... contact both, ask about the warranty you're interested in (get the platinum one, and I'd recommend the $0 deductible one, but you can decide if 7/75 or 7/100 or whatever makes the most sense for your driving)... then buy whichever is cheaper... (they're generally within 50 bucks of each other but I've seen both reported as being the $50 cheaper one depending on car and which warranty you ask about).
Old 01-03-10, 12:26 PM
Golojr
Driver School Candidate

I drive about 10K a year and planing on keeping the car for 4 years. In my first month Nav had to be replaced (thank God still was under factory warranty. It cost about $6500). Still worried though one too many gadgets in the car!!!!I am leaning towards buying platinum care extended warranty. I have called at least 10 dealers. I am going call Troy and Toby monday. Does anybody have their contact info....
Thank you for all responses
Old 01-03-10, 08:16 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I drive about 10K a year and planing on keeping the car for 4 years. In my first month Nav had to be replaced (thank God still was under factory warranty. It cost about $6500). Still worried though one too many gadgets in the car!!!!I am leaning towards buying platinum care extended warranty. I have called at least 10 dealers. I am going call Troy and Toby monday. Does anybody have their contact info....
The factory warranty is 4 yr/50k miles, so no need for extended at all unless you're keeping it beyond the amount of time you indicated in the above post.
Old 01-04-10, 04:41 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

WOW, Hard to believe a Nav is that expensive! The best on the after market are half that! At that rate (4+years from now you could get one at a salvage yard for $300.00 to $500.00 I think it is pretty common knowledge that if an electronic device such as a computer is going to fail it is usually in the first few months. Never seen one go bad in a Lexus before. Spending $1000.00+ for an extra 1year of protection is NUTZ!!!!!!!! But as they say a fool and his money are easily parted.
Old 01-04-10, 05:44 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Do NOT buy the all-weather mats! They are pure JUNK and will only last a year, if that!

Koz
Old 01-04-10, 12:14 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

After 2 years, I have a hole worn through the all weather mats. I'm not too upset, since I didn't have to pay for them. If I was paying, I'd go to www.mats.com and purchase Weather Tech mats.
Old 01-04-10, 12:19 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well-that's the whole point. A Lexus is pretty reliable, but that doesn't mean that nothing will ever go wrong. However, if one has a problem, what is the probability that the issue will show up during the original warranty period? You had a dud nav, and that's why new cars come with warranties. Would your problem likely come about after 4.5 years? Probably not.

If you plan on keeping the car 4 years, and drive 10,000/yr, why would you get an extended warranty at all????
Old 01-04-10, 05:13 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm on the fence on the extended warranty. Toyota of Greenfield (Mass) is supposed to sell Lexus warranties at a good price.

I have the all-weather mats nad think its great to have mats that hold the water, are contoured to the car, and stay anchored.
Old 01-04-10, 07:04 PM
dong888
Pole Position

My thought on extended warranty: do not get them. If there is a problem with some parts or electronics in the car, it will most likely to fail in the first 6 month and you are covered 100% by the factory warranty. After the 4r/ 50K, whatever is working in your car should still stay working. Lexus is pretty reliable.
Old 01-04-10, 07:22 PM
Tasty
Driver

i recommend you get it I purchased the extended platinum warranty from Lexus and it saved my *** I bougtht a 3yr 36k miles warranty that plays just like a manufactures warranty. On NYE my airbag light came on and my check engine light came on and I just passed my manufactures warranty by 4k miles ago. My car is still in the shop and they provided me with a loaner while my car is being repaired. If I didnt buy my warranty I would have spent more than what I spent on the extended warranty. SO IM ALL FOR THE EXTENDED WARRANTY
Old 01-04-10, 07:22 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dong888
My thought on extended warranty: do not get them. If there is a problem with some parts or electronics in the car, it will most likely to fail in the first 6 month and you are covered 100% by the factory warranty. After the 4r/ 50K, whatever is working in your car should still stay working. Lexus is pretty reliable.
For non-moving solid state electronics that's generally true.

For many of the issues I've seen people have on the 2IS it's not though- the auto-tilt mirrors, the disc changer, the ML sub, etc... all moving parts to one extent or another. (not sure on the steering issue, the power is electronic, but the rack is obviously a physical part; don't recall what the resolutions were but I know at least 2 folks reported issues apart from the recall on it)

Quick Reply: IS350 Extended Warranty and All Weather Floor Mats