IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Paint Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 07:28 PM
gomezra04
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Issues

Has anyone had any paint issues with their IS??? We have a brand new (bought in August) IS-250 and we have swirl marks all over the car like it's 3 years old or something. They are all over the car (front to back).
Old 01-09-10, 07:37 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What color do you have. (must be black)
Old 01-09-10, 07:43 PM
Jimmy06AWD
Rookie

don't let the dealer wash it. i've seen brand new ferraris sitting at the dealer with swirls on them.
Old 01-09-10, 08:08 PM
DJSirkit13
Driver

1.] we have bio degradable paint which is not as durable.
2.** If you wash your car at the automated car washes it could be from that.
Old 01-09-10, 08:11 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swirl marks come from the dealer and if u wash it ur self the dirt and debris that is in the bottom of the bucket puts swirls on the car
Old 01-09-10, 08:44 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Swirl marks aren't a sign of a paint defect, they're a sign of careless washing. You need to hire a GOOD detailer to level your paint (polish out the swirls). Then you need to have it sealed/waxed, and properly wash it by hand. Otherwise, the swirls will just come back.
Old 01-09-10, 08:49 PM
gomezra04
Driver School Candidate

dealer f'd it up when they delivered the car.... It had some really nasty stains all over the car, they keep these cars in a parking garage on the bottom floor, most all cars down there had dust caked all over them not to mention the condensation that builds from the humidity that drips all over them during the summer which is when we bought it... Upong delivery I noticed these spots all over the place and took the car back and wanted an other and they (of course) offered to fix the problem with no issues, I new that they would have to use some sort of rubbing compound to get rid of the stains, they told me they would not. I picked up the car the next day and it looked awesome. Couple days later after getting the windows tinted I had to wash it and bam not only did it have buffer trials all over the place but the windshields and windows had the stains on them still that appeared with the help of the tint, I took it back to the dealer pissed as hell and they told me that they would take it to a professional place to get worked on which they paid over 300 dollars for and after a couple of weeks and lengthy hand washing ( with instruction from the place that did the cleaning http://www.mingsa.com/) It all came back. Now they want to get Lexus involved to see if it is a defect in the paint. I have been waiting for a week to hear from the dealer as to when to take the car to get looked over by the lexus rep.
Old 01-09-10, 08:54 PM
gomezra04
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 15951
Swirl marks aren't a sign of a paint defect, they're a sign of careless washing. You need to hire a GOOD detailer to level your paint (polish out the swirls). Then you need to have it sealed/waxed, and properly wash it by hand. Otherwise, the swirls will just come back.
Did that buddy. Dealer paid for it. Why would you pay for something if it was not your fault to begin with? I should not have to hand wash a car that is silly. My SRT-8 Grand Cherokee does not need that attention and it is a year old and does not look like the IS and the Jeep is black and the IS is flint micah. Which looks black but with a blue hue.
Old 01-10-10, 12:26 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gomezra04
Did that buddy. Dealer paid for it. Why would you pay for something if it was not your fault to begin with? I should not have to hand wash a car that is silly. My SRT-8 Grand Cherokee does not need that attention and it is a year old and does not look like the IS and the Jeep is black and the IS is flint micah. Which looks black but with a blue hue.
Notice where he said good detailer. Your dealership most likely took it to someone who did more damage than they fixed, and covered it up with a wax so it looked great until it was washed and the wax came off.

P.S. Expect to spend a good $500 for someone to do it right.
Old 01-10-10, 12:49 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dealer installed swirls. they probably just put a glaze over it to hide the swirls.
Old 01-10-10, 01:01 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tell dealer no wash when in for service. They just rush over it anyways.
Old 01-10-10, 08:11 AM
gomezra04
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Infra
Notice where he said good detailer. Your dealership most likely took it to someone who did more damage than they fixed, and covered it up with a wax so it looked great until it was washed and the wax came off.

P.S. Expect to spend a good $500 for someone to do it right.
Notice how the place that I included the link for is top notch, they have done my SRT several times, they are good at what they do. I picked out the place for them to take it and it was about 475. They also give a three year warranty on the work they do.

Just wanted to confirm that it is not something with the paint, as the dealer is claiming, it was the second detail job the did to remove the stains that were all over the car.