10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

San Diego to Miami. 5k service now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 04:42 PM
kslater
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question San Diego to Miami. 5k service now?

I am driving from San Diego headed for Miami FL on Friday Jan 15th. The car has 3300 miles on it and the trip is around 2600-2800 depending on how far I find a hotel to sleep and such during the drive. Should I have the 5k service performed now before I leave or should I find a Lexus dealer when I am almost at 5k during the trip or should I just do the trip and have it done In Miami?
Old 01-10-10, 05:08 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wth really.. yeah you should! I hope you're using synthetic oil or change to it. You mind me asking how long its going to take you to drive down there and how long you're staying for.. i been meaning to drive down there myself lolz
Old 01-10-10, 05:11 PM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

get it done before that's for sure
Old 01-10-10, 05:36 PM
kslater
Driver

Originally Posted by Phil888
wth really.. yeah you should! I hope you're using synthetic oil or change to it. You mind me asking how long its going to take you to drive down there and how long you're staying for.. i been meaning to drive down there myself lolz
I just got the car in Nov. My prior mercedes had synthetic from factory. I understand the IS uses petroleum based oil? I hope it takes me 4 days which i am hoping to arrive sometime next Tuesday but if not then it wont be a big deal because I am not in a rush, I plan to drive days and sleep nights in a hotel. I am relocating to Tennessee and just going back home prior to moving to tennessee since I have a month and a half stay for recruiting duty school (Military/NAVY) in Pensacola. My 3yrs here in San Diego has been fun, moving on thats all.
Old 01-10-10, 06:24 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get it done during the trip?

Walmart has Mobil 1 fully synthetic extended performance for 26 bucks for 5 quarts
Old 01-10-10, 08:27 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The change at 5k is free at any dealership, but they won't be giving you synthetic for free.

Just take the free stuff, then if you want to switch to synthetic do it at 10k when you'll need to pay anyway (or do yourself).

As for when to do it, folks have had UOA done with the factory fill at 10k and been fine, unless your first 3300 miles was severe service (ie tons of very short trips where the engine never reached operarating temp) then you'll be perfectly fine to wait for the 5k service till you get where you're going.

Now, if you're aware of a dealer that happens to be right on your route right around the 5k mark, and they happen to have an opening exactly when you'll be passing through, and you want to stop off for the free drinks and snacks and don't mind waiting around for the hour or so, sure... but otherwise you'll be fine waiting till you get where you're going.
Old 01-11-10, 04:39 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Let me know when your in Miami and we'll throw a meet!
Old 01-11-10, 06:13 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Dont have a heart attack man, its no big deal if you get it done after you get there. Theres no magic that happens at 5k that it specifically needs that service. Lexus just chose a roundabout number to be extra safe. I'm sure they incorporate daily driving whereas you'll be driving 99% hwy so its less stress on the drivetrain/engine anyway. I bet you could even not DO the 5k service specifically and just do normal oil changes and change the gear oil in the trans and rear at 30k like most cars and it would be fine.

Point is, dont have a heart attack over the 5k service. Just change your oil every 3k-5k (depending how you drive) and change your drivetrain fluids every 30k
Old 01-11-10, 07:29 AM
cjlazar84
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

before and after bro..... if i were you i would use synthetic on such a long trip. I did a San Diego to Tampa once and boy r you in for a ride of your life

Good luck.
Old 01-11-10, 07:40 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RpmSteve
Dont have a heart attack man, its no big deal if you get it done after you get there. Theres no magic that happens at 5k that it specifically needs that service. Lexus just chose a roundabout number to be extra safe. I'm sure they incorporate daily driving whereas you'll be driving 99% hwy so its less stress on the drivetrain/engine anyway. I bet you could even not DO the 5k service specifically and just do normal oil changes and change the gear oil in the trans and rear at 30k like most cars and it would be fine.

Point is, dont have a heart attack over the 5k service. Just change your oil every 3k-5k (depending how you drive) and change your drivetrain fluids every 30k

Unless he has a manual transmission he can't change his transmission fluid. As the owners manual instructs, the fluid is intended to be good for the life of the vehicle.

The differential BTW never calls for fluid change either (though unlike the automatic transmission it's at least physically possible to do so if you insist on it).
Old 01-11-10, 08:39 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Unless he has a manual transmission he can't change his transmission fluid. As the owners manual instructs, the fluid is intended to be good for the life of the vehicle.

The differential BTW never calls for fluid change either (though unlike the automatic transmission it's at least physically possible to do so if you insist on it).
really!!, well I did not know that. So whats the 5k service for then?
Old 01-11-10, 08:59 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Basically an oil change and an inspection...
Old 01-11-10, 09:01 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RpmSteve
really!!, well I did not know that. So whats the 5k service for then?
Exactly what each service covers is in the owners manual, and also available in a PDF at lexus.com

At 5k the only thing they really "do" is an oil change though. (same as 10k, 20k, 25k, 35k, 40k, 50k, 55k, 65k, 70k, 80k, 85k, 90k, 95k, etc...)

Only things the scheduled service ever calls for besides oil changes are:

Every 15k: Check/change engine/cabin filters

Every 30k: Change brake fluid

Every 60k: Change spark plugs

Every 100k: Change coolant.

That's it.

That's why you should never request the "x miles" service. They'll charge you 3x as much and not actually do anything additional. Just ask for the actual work you need done (ie just an oil/filter change usually). They'll still do the same inspections they'd do otherwise, they just won't get to pad up the bill for it.

(and do the engine/cabin filters entirely yourself too, they take 5 minutes each)
Old 01-11-10, 09:05 AM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

So basically its just an oil change.

To the OP, if your worried about it, just get an oil change on the way.
Old 01-11-10, 10:41 AM
kslater
Driver

Originally Posted by Robs IS250
Let me know when your in Miami and we'll throw a meet!
Yah, that would be nice. I want to see that car in person

Quick Reply: San Diego to Miami. 5k service now?