IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID kit installed, but tilted projector?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 07:05 PM
clubis250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID kit installed, but tilted projector?

I just recently got my HIDs installed on my 2008 is250 (Mtec 6000k) by a carshop but I have noticed that there are uneven light streaks on ground on the driver side of my car. Is it possible that my projectors were bumped while being installed?
Old 01-10-10, 07:25 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one side is higher and one side is lower? is the passenger side higher?

like this?

if so. it's normal. driverside is lower to avoid blinding oncoming cars.
Old 01-10-10, 07:41 PM
clubis250
Driver School Candidate

Yeah my right side is just like the picture you posted but my left side has uneven light streaks on the floor. Not the wall, as if it was tilted down a bit. It gets really annoying when I drive. Maybe I should post a picture but I don't have a decent camera with me at the moment.Thanks for the post!
Old 01-10-10, 08:08 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

there is a simple adjustment for that. check your owners manual
Old 01-10-10, 08:12 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

it's because the light is not focusing properly due to the fact that you installed an HID kit on a halogen projector. The light therefore is not optimized due to the different focal points between the regular halogen bulbs and the HID bulb, which is probably causing your flares.

Here's a picture back when I had an H11 HID Kit in my Lexus.

Of course, if the entire beam is aimed incorrectly (slanted), then you can adjust it using the provided adjustment *****. Or you can fiddle with the bulb to see if it's in straight , which may help!
Old 01-10-10, 08:18 PM
clubis250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ELL Y
it's because the light is not focusing properly due to the fact that you installed an HID kit on a halogen projector. The light therefore is not optimized due to the different focal points between the regular halogen bulbs and the HID bulb, which is probably causing your flares.

Here's a picture back when I had an H11 HID Kit in my Lexus.

Of course, if the entire beam is aimed incorrectly (slanted), then you can adjust it using the provided adjustment *****. Or you can fiddle with the bulb to see if it's in straight , which may help!
That is exactly the problem I am dealing with. So is this adjustment a simple job that I could do at home or recommended to have a mechanic adjust it?
Old 01-10-10, 08:20 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my kit looks ok. i used the xenondepot one.

Old 01-10-10, 08:24 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks like you put the bulb in incorrectly. take it out and make sure you screw it in there correctly.
Old 01-10-10, 08:31 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ELL Y
it's because the light is not focusing properly due to the fact that you installed an HID kit on a halogen projector.
All 2is have projector housings, no matter what, even if it doesn't come factory with HIDs and AFS and comes with halogen bulbs.

i have the same exact cut off, and light output as those who have the factory AFS/HID. A projector housing is a projector housing. whether its got an HID bulb or Halogen

Last edited by xuningshen; 01-10-10 at 08:43 PM. Reason: clarifying
Old 01-10-10, 08:37 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

the bulb is not in correctly, it has nothing to do with focusing properly
Old 01-10-10, 08:58 PM
clubis250
Driver School Candidate

Alright so my plan is to to take my car back to the shop that installed it and have the bulb re-installed correctly this time rather than refocusing it. (?) Thanks everyone for the posts it provided much needed answers!
Old 01-10-10, 08:59 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

you should do it yourself. if that shop cannot properly install a bulb. they're in deep ****.

its really easy to do. there is a guide on the forums somewhere
Old 01-10-10, 09:03 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by clubis250
Alright so my plan is to to take my car back to the shop that installed it and have the bulb re-installed correctly this time rather than refocusing it. (?) Thanks everyone for the posts it provided much needed answers!
As stated right above, do it yourself. Its really not hard to do. Prob happened because the driver side is harder to do the pass side. Its a little tricky getting your hands in there and making the bulb is in correctly. Do it at night with the lights on and I bet you will be able to see when the bulb is in right. Theres a clip like U shaped metal ring thing that holds the base of the bulb flush in the projector housing. Search for head light stuff and youll see pics
Old 01-13-10, 09:43 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

It is possible that either the bulb is not installed correctly or the focal point positioning on that one bulb is off.

Steve
Old 01-13-10, 12:27 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xuningshen
All 2is have projector housings, no matter what, even if it doesn't come factory with HIDs and AFS and comes with halogen bulbs.

i have the same exact cut off, and light output as those who have the factory AFS/HID. A projector housing is a projector housing. whether its got an HID bulb or Halogen
That is correct that all 2IS comes with projectors. But there is the HID equipped ones and halogen ones. The halogen ones weren't designed for HID. It's true that some halogen projectors can handle HID pretty well but not all. But it still doesn't come close to the even spread of light that a HID projector provides. If you had the chance to open up these projectors like EL LY and myself have you can see the difference.

Quick Reply: HID kit installed, but tilted projector?