IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

1 hour of labor 9 dollars and +5hp

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-10, 11:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Booking a flight on Southwest and a rental car in Vegas is very easy too.
Old 01-16-10, 04:00 PM
dong888
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone done this with cleaning wrap instead?
Old 01-16-10, 05:56 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Booking a flight on Southwest and a rental car in Vegas is very easy too.
I would do this...
Old 01-16-10, 07:28 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Sounds goofy to me, it's a damn car, not a priceless work of art. If you are concerned get a clear bra, but driving around with painter's tape looks whack, imo. If I saw that on the road my wife and I would have some good fun with the guy behind the wheel. Whatever.
So you are saying if i key the crap out of your car you wouldn't care cause it's not a priceless work of art?

It doesn't matter if it's a POS. If you use money to buy that POS you'll want it in perfect condition when you well it or whatever you do with it.

Originally Posted by jackblack7
I don't get it either. You're much more likely to get a rock chip driving to work every day than taking a long trip. And the whole objective is to keep your paint looking nice, but in order to do that you have to make your car look like crap. No one is even going to see a rock chip unless they're 2 feet away. But with tape your car will look terrible from 200 yards away. Just doesn't make sense to me.
That's right, it makes no sense to you. It's like the saying “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime." Have tape over your paint & look ugly for a day or 2 or Look ugly for the rest of your life.

It doesn't matter if you can or cannot see the rock chips, the owner will always know it's there. You don't keep your car nice for everyone else to see; it's usually for yourself.
Old 01-17-10, 06:42 AM
LexusGSXR
Lead Lap

who cares what other people thinks... do whats right to protect your baby from those dingy rock chips..
Old 01-17-10, 10:04 AM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2slow

It doesn't matter if you can or cannot see the rock chips, the owner will always know it's there. You don't keep your car nice for everyone else to see; it's usually for yourself.

this is what we call OCD
Old 01-17-10, 12:23 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow
So you are saying if i key the crap out of your car you wouldn't care cause it's not a priceless work of art?

It doesn't matter if it's a POS. If you use money to buy that POS you'll want it in perfect condition when you well it or whatever you do with it.

That's right, it makes no sense to you. It's like the saying “Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime." Have tape over your paint & look ugly for a day or 2 or Look ugly for the rest of your life.

Please, no one said that a keyed car is the same as a rock chip, so don't try to make that kind of comparison. He can do whatever he wants, and will. But don't we as owners want others to appreciate our car? It's not just about keeping it perfect and feeling smug about it. If you want to do that buy one, trailer it home (so it won't get dirty underneath), and keep it in your garage, visiting it in the evening. Production cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed, not hidden away or covered up in painter's tape while out in public. Just sayin'.
Old 01-17-10, 07:51 PM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

LOL I started this thread for a couple of laughs and it turned into a debate. First off. Renting a car is not 20 a day... they limit you on your mileage and to drive from San Diego to Vegas was close to 400 one way. We drove 3 people and the whole trip cost us 80 dollars for gas, 9 dollars for the roll of tape and an hour of labor. 3 plane tickets and the cost of parking my car at an overnight lot plus the cost of rental would've been easily 3 times the cost. Of course i'll attract attention in vegas but I don't care. We barely drove and walked mostly everywhere and had the time of our lives and my car comes out of it without a rock chip or sand in the air braising against my paint as I drive.

Thanks to everyone for the good tidings overall my trip was amazingly fun and I got a couple of thumbs up on the drive from other cars and lots of looks
Old 01-17-10, 08:40 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

^Good to hear everything went alright! And i vote for painters tape, just to put it out there.
Old 01-18-10, 08:43 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same thing with my car too
Old 01-18-10, 01:00 PM
santacruz
Driver

Here's mine all done up for a poker run in Tampa.

Old 01-18-10, 01:04 PM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

lol damn you put a lot more time and effort into doing yours. looks god!
Old 01-18-10, 01:15 PM
santacruz
Driver

Haha yea I got a lot of practice when I had a 350z that I took to shows. Here is a more thorough job I did to drive up to Virginia a few months ago.
Old 01-18-10, 02:26 PM
rocketship
Rookie

way to go anthony! lol funny, haters are discriminating the tape! id cry if i drove over 200 miles and found a bunch of dead bugs and a bunch of little knicks on my car that messed up on the way up!
Old 01-18-10, 04:04 PM
SD.IS
Lexus Test Driver

santacruz good stuff i'm going to try and make it clean next time. haha thanks caroline glad to see you finally got your car back. if you need any help hit up me or droth!

Quick Reply: 1 hour of labor 9 dollars and +5hp