IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 manual trans, rev hang and gearbox noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-10, 09:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by shui3000
sure it does. if you don't push it down all the way you're going to ruin your transmission.

no wonder why you guys complain of bad transmissions.
No, not at all. The system has the same multipiece flywheel first found in the MkIV Supra. It's heavy, and it makes a lot of noise because it has springs in it to provide driveline damping. This is the root cause of many issues for the 2IS MT.

Pressing in the clutch is optional. It's quite possible to shift without using the clutch at all if you match revs well. No motorcycle racer uses the clutch for upshifts ever. Waste of time when you can do a little throttle chop and shift - again without any harm to the gearbox at all.

For more information about this issue, either search, or read this entire thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-problem.html
Old 01-17-10, 09:55 PM
dmocchi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The IS manual transmission IMO is not as bad as some posters may claim.

If u decided to apply the same time and energy to research forums for other manual trannies youll similarily find complaints........(Dont take my word for it and try researching 2nd gear grinds for any Honda manual transmissions).
Unfortunately this happens to be a 'sporty' four door and unless u decided to buy a tsx or tl manual ull find similar issues (sportiness/clunky, indirest trannies) with other cars in this class......BWM/Audi included.
Old 01-17-10, 10:07 PM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Ever thought about bolting up a Getrag 233? It does say Toyota on the bell housing, but it's truly bulletproof.
i was thinking about it.. still am well c
Originally Posted by shui3000
do you push the clutch all the way down to the floor when shifting?
so ur calling me an idiot huh. ok great.

Originally Posted by dmocchi
The IS manual transmission IMO is not as bad as some posters may claim.

If u decided to apply the same time and energy to research forums for other manual trannies youll similarily find complaints........(Dont take my word for it and try researching 2nd gear grinds for any Honda manual transmissions).
Unfortunately this happens to be a 'sporty' four door and unless u decided to buy a tsx or tl manual ull find similar issues (sportiness/clunky, indirest trannies) with other cars in this class......BWM/Audi included.
i agree ive drivin worse. all cars have there faults. lexus cant be perfect no one can. but in my sitution, im kinda mad couse ive had a few trannies replaced.. some of my bemmer guys have the same issue but will always say bmw is better than lexus ahah .. o well just live with it and enjoy the car u love i guess
Old 01-18-10, 10:40 AM
plynn_250
Driver School Candidate

The one piece fidanza flywheel was a group buy and it is my understanding that until another group of 15 or so get in on another run this item is no longer available unless someone is willing to part with theirs. This isn't a good option for you anyways since it would probably void your powertrain warranty. You can always complain to the dealership and they will maybe give you a new tranny which will likely act the same as your current one 15000 miles after replacement.
Old 01-19-10, 09:22 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

get the F Sport quick shifter and a lighter flywheel....you still need to live with some of the noise....

Agreed with Demik, I love my IS!

Last edited by kickin8; 01-19-10 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-19-10, 10:25 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My last car was a Matrix XRS 6 speed, same transmission that was used in the Celica GT-S. I don't know if these are similar at all, but that transmission was not pleasant at all. Very unforgiving and it had notchy loud shifts as well.

I was constantly in fear of ruining the clutch, after reading many reports about that transmission eating them. I sold it before I had any clutch problems but sometimes it was impossible to do something like reverse up hill without getting a little bit of nasty clutch smell.

From the sounds of it, the IS clutch if anything is too heavy whereas my 6 speed was far too light. Given the IS250 has a lot more torque than the 2ZZ engine, I think you ought to drive one of those cars before complaining about the transmission in yours!
Old 01-19-10, 10:46 PM
channy1013
Driver School Candidate

OMG where to even start. For one i am so sorry you are in the same situation as me. To save you the headache even though its under warrenty, dont bother going to the dealership. I did it and the car is worse then when i started. So i was hearing what i thought was the throwout bearing, took it to them, they said "oh yeah thats what it sounds like, we'll order the part and take care of it". I had just bought the car 5 days prior. They get in there, call me, tell me "oh yeah the clutch is fine, there is actually nothing wrong with it, but since we torn the clutch assembly out we will replace it for you for free" ok great, thats nice. Get the car back and 1st and 2nd gear are horrid to get into gear now, i have to put ALOT of force, expecially 2nd when having slowed down to make a turn and go back into 2nd, or down shift. And the 'throwout bearing' noise, they said is actually normal and it will most likely come back, which it did in like 50 miles. How lexus can ot make a clutch is beyond me, but for my $30k i am highly dissappointed and cant wait to get out from under the car and get the new 2010 maxima
Old 01-20-10, 01:54 AM
dmocchi
Rookie

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
My last car was a Matrix XRS 6 speed, same transmission that was used in the Celica GT-S. I don't know if these are similar at all, but that transmission was not pleasant at all. Very unforgiving and it had notchy loud shifts as well.

I was constantly in fear of ruining the clutch, after reading many reports about that transmission eating them. I sold it before I had any clutch problems but sometimes it was impossible to do something like reverse up hill without getting a little bit of nasty clutch smell.

From the sounds of it, the IS clutch if anything is too heavy whereas my 6 speed was far too light. Given the IS250 has a lot more torque than the 2ZZ engine, I think you ought to drive one of those cars before complaining about the transmission in yours!
The tranny on those was the Aisin BC16 transmission whereas on the is250 its the Aisin AY6. Interestingly enough the celica gts 6 speed wasknown to be one of the 'better' manuals offered by TOyota along with the getrag from the Supra TT.
Old 01-22-10, 04:41 PM
Sunspyre
Driver School Candidate

Just signed up for this forum and happen to see this thread. I have an 08 250 Manual and yes, I have the same symptoms you are describing. I have only driven manual for 7-8 years, but I have never experienced a car with such a noisy drivetrain.

I'm in the process of reading the rest of the thread, but did you find any reprieve for this?
Old 01-25-10, 07:24 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

I'll post a review of my new Spec clutch and fidanza flywheel as soon as my clutch goes. It's got 96k miles on it. It doesn't sound as bad as a few on here but it's still crap. I got the jar of marbles at 64k miles, other than that it's be its usual notchy but reliable self.
Old 05-19-13, 06:19 PM
jdanielsIS
Driver School Candidate

Default Epilogue

Well, I started this thread, so I thought it would be appropriate to let you all know how my story ends. I recently traded in the IS-250 on something else. I needed something automatic and with some cargo capability for family reasons, so the IS had to go.

Bottom line is that I traded the car in with 48k miles on it. In the 3.5 years and 31k miles I had it, the rev-hangy, noisy, chattery driveline never changed. The revs always hung annoyingly between shifts, the throw-out bearing and/or clutch springs and/or flywheel dampening mechanism kept on making their marbles-in-a-coffe-can noises ... but nothing ever wore out, or even seemed to change in sound or function. It just seemed like the car was "that way" and that's the way it was the whole time I owned it.

Other than that blasted transmission/flywheel/clutch, the car was absolutely perfect ... nothing ever broke, and I mean nothing. So, the overall ownership experience was one of contrasts; solid, reliable, quality car, very smooth, comfortable ... and still great to look at ... but with one infuriating characteristic that unfortunately was front-and-center every time I drove it and significantly limited my enjoyment in owning the car.
Old 05-20-13, 09:47 AM
nastyemu
Driver

So what did you get?

I can sympathize... I've often felt that my 07 6MT had a noisy transmission. It just sort of ruins the luxury aspect. Usually it's pretty quiet for the first 5 mins but warms up into that rumbly marbles sound.
Old 05-27-13, 05:02 PM
jdanielsIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nastyemu
So what did you get?

I can sympathize... I've often felt that my 07 6MT had a noisy transmission. It just sort of ruins the luxury aspect. Usually it's pretty quiet for the first 5 mins but warms up into that rumbly marbles sound.
Yup, mine always was "least noisy" when cold ... once it warmed up, marbles in a coffee can!

So what did I get? Get ready to yawn ... got a 2011 Subaru Outback Limited. Long story, but, my daughter needs a reliable car for college/student teaching, so she'll be using my wife's current car, my wife will mostly drive the Subaru, and I'll bounce around between the Outback, my Miata, and an old Ford Ranger. My wife and I have both always liked wagons (wagons work well if you have a big dog), wanted all wheel drive, wanted something reliable ... and Subaru's CPO warranty is good ... and I got them to throw in the premium warranty - 7 years 100k miles pretty much bumper to bumper. So far I'm really liking the Subie. The leather seats are excellent, it drives really well, rides very nice, its very quiet inside, very comfortable and roomy. The CVT certainly takes some getting used to, but I'm already pretty much used to it ... to me makes no difference conventional automatic vs. CVT, either way you put it in D and go and try not to fall asleep!

Once my daughter is done college, I'll certainly be in the market again for a manual-transmission sports sedan. I'm pretty sure Lexus will not be offering a manual by that time, and I certainly will not be looking for another same-gen IS manual! Don't really trust Audis from a reliability standpoint, so I'll probably compare some CPO BMWs, Caddy ATS, maybe Acuras won't be hideous looking by then?
Old 01-31-16, 09:24 AM
Gatriel
Rookie

Well, I've put 30,000 miles on my 07 IS250 in the last 11 months.

The manual transmission ruins an otherwise great car. Literally every time I get in the car I curse myself for not getting the Auto. It completely destroys the driving experience when you have a whisper-quite cabin and when you change from 2nd to 3rd "clunk clunk clunk." It is so loud pedestrians look at you funny when you change gears as you drive by.

I just want to forewarn anyone considering a 2XE with a M/T ... don't do it. I find it amazing Toyota was able to screwup to throughly such an otherwise excellent "drive it until it dies" car.
Old 01-31-16, 09:44 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatriel
Well, I've put 30,000 miles on my 07 IS250 in the last 11 months.

The manual transmission ruins an otherwise great car. Literally every time I get in the car I curse myself for not getting the Auto. It completely destroys the driving experience when you have a whisper-quite cabin and when you change from 2nd to 3rd "clunk clunk clunk." It is so loud pedestrians look at you funny when you change gears as you drive by.

I just want to forewarn anyone considering a 2XE with a M/T ... don't do it. I find it amazing Toyota was able to screwup to throughly such an otherwise excellent "drive it until it dies" car.
I feel the 06-08's were worse, and while I don't think even the 09-12's are that much better, I disagree with the rest. Still puts a smile on my face and I would never trade it for an auto, but opinions vary obviously.

Jeff