IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 03:17 PM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS350 is horrible in snow, my 350Z with 275 tires in the rear is much better. I know it's weird.....I wasn't expecting it to be like this at all.
Old 01-20-10, 05:09 PM
bwesley
Driver

Originally Posted by norapat01
IS350 is horrible in snow, my 350Z with 275 tires in the rear is much better. I know it's weird.....I wasn't expecting it to be like this at all.
What tires were you driving on? Because if you were driving on summer performance treads, then yes, horrible. But if you were driving on a winter tread, then I couldn't disagree with you more. Besides, there are enough electronic nannies onboard to keep the car from ever getting out of line in the snow. And no offense, but winter driving experience and driver input are the biggest factors in snow anyway, no matter what automobile you're driving.
Old 01-20-10, 06:36 PM
1S350IN
Driver School Candidate

I replaced my IS350 (after 3 yrs of ownership) in September for a 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD with Technology package. The IS350 is superb in dry weather conditions. However, I found driving in the snow challenging even with the Bridgestone Blizzak (18 inch) snow tires. I live in Northern Indiana (90 mins from Chicago) where we get quite a bit of snow. I've been told that having a set of dedicated 17 inch wheels and snow tires may work better for heavy winter driving.

Last edited by 1S350IN; 01-20-10 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-20-10, 06:46 PM
9relude8
Pole Position

the question is are you planning on buying these cars new or used? If you are buying used, do not buy German cars unless they have less than 10k miles on them. That way you will take advantage on their 50k mile free maintenance service offers from audi and bmw. However once you roll past the 50k mile mark that is where you will start to see some trouble and high cost for easy maintenance. The Lexus IS350 is a great car but you will def need either a all season for light snow or winter tires for heavy snow / icy conditions. Do not ever drive you car in any type of snow if you are running summer tires ... snow mode won't do anything... trust me
Old 01-20-10, 06:55 PM
cro126
Pole Position

go for the 335xi. things a beauty and they are greattttt in snow. and plus the are twin turbo. FASTTT
Old 01-21-10, 04:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cro126
go for the 335xi. things a beauty and they are greattttt in snow. and plus the are twin turbo. FASTTT
Apart from getting going from a dead stop AWD is gonna be no different than 2WD... AWD doesn't stop you any better in snow for example and 4 drive wheels slide on ice the same way 2 do.

In the meantime the other 80% of the year when it's not snowing you get worse handling and mileage.

And the 335xi is slower than an IS350, even with twin turbos (which is kinda sad)... at least the 2WD 335i is about even in speed, though much more expensive and much worse reliability.
Old 01-21-10, 06:21 AM
MJB_LEX
Rookie

Originally Posted by bwesley
I drive an IS350 in Minneapolis with lots of snow and ice. With a staggered 18" setup, this car is beautiful sledgehammer in the dry months. And for the snow months, I have a 17" winter setup shod in Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 snow tires... Perfect for snow and ice! I previously used Bridgestone Blizzaks and liked them also, but the Michelins are quieter, cost less and last longer. A second set is the best option, as you don't ruin your summer wheels during the winter months, you get more mileage from both sets and you don't incur the expense of repeatedly remounting tires.

Also, I came close to buying an Audi S4. Do some research, but you'll find that the S4 is poorly balanced due to the position of the engine... In short, it's very nose-heavy. And I agree with the others about the A4, it's ridiculously priced for what it offers. It's also an expensive car to repair and the reliability (still) isn't quite there yet. I won't even consider a BMW, but like most BMWs, Audis seem to be priced based on the cache of it's name.
Thanks for the advice and the pics. Your Winter setup actually looks pretty good. I would not mind that setup myself. You are correct about the Audi, but for the current generation, they moved the engine back to restore balance. The 2010 S4 took out the 335i in more than one comparison test. I agree, the BMW is pretty much off the list after reading about high pressure fuel pump failures, sometimes 3 in 2 years. No way. I trust Audi a bit more, I have a friend with a 14 year old A4 which is still running strong, with minimal issues. The whole S4 package is appealing; 7 speed DSG, sport rear differential, folding rear seat, and a useable back seat, etc. The Lexus lacks in those areas, but it is a car a know I can service myself (I do most things to my 250 now) and the no worries reliability that comes with Lexus are also worth considering. Plus, the 350 a fast car with no turbos or superchargers to break.
Old 01-21-10, 06:24 AM
MJB_LEX
Rookie

Originally Posted by 9relude8
the question is are you planning on buying these cars new or used? If you are buying used, do not buy German cars unless they have less than 10k miles on them. That way you will take advantage on their 50k mile free maintenance service offers from audi and bmw. However once you roll past the 50k mile mark that is where you will start to see some trouble and high cost for easy maintenance. The Lexus IS350 is a great car but you will def need either a all season for light snow or winter tires for heavy snow / icy conditions. Do not ever drive you car in any type of snow if you are running summer tires ... snow mode won't do anything... trust me

Definately buying new and plan to order to get what I want. As I mentioned, the BMW is pretty much off the list. If I go with A3/A4/S4/GTI, I would buy extended warranty with the car. Probably not with the Lexus.

Also, I learned about Summer tires. I run Dunlop SP Sport MAXX (Summer tires) on my 250 in the Summer. I mistakely thought that since I have AWD, I could make it through Winter with Summer tires. WRONG!!! Believe it or not, I can get traction to accelerate in a straight line, but I cannot stop and when cornering, the slightest tap of the gas sends the rear end flying around. Now, I am running GoodYear ResponsEdge in the Winter. The Summers are worn out and since I getting rid of the car, will leave the Goodyears in place until I trade.

Last edited by MJB_LEX; 01-21-10 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Comment about tires
Old 01-21-10, 06:34 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

It's not weird. Summer tires are dangerous and totally inappropriate for driving in snow. Put a set of winter tires on your IS350, and it will be just fine in the white stuff.
Old 01-21-10, 08:15 AM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
It's not weird. Summer tires are dangerous and totally inappropriate for driving in snow. Put a set of winter tires on your IS350, and it will be just fine in the white stuff.
yeah i would never take my set of summers out here in the ring with the toronto snow
Old 01-21-10, 04:38 PM
06LPBS
Driver School Candidate

i have a 350 with all seasons in new england. i havent driven it much this winter in the snow but i know theres a good steep hill i couldn't get up the other day. obviously there were other ways to get to where i was going. the new s4 is really nice looking but if this car is something you want to have for a long time, i'd go with the is350 over any car on that list. the reliability of toyota > anything else. if it's a 3-5 yr car, then id go with the new s4. another thing to consider is how much do you really drive in the snow, is it worth getting a car that you would only consider b/c of snow that occurs only a few months of the year vs. getting a car that you would enjoy more during dry season.
Old 01-21-10, 04:47 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 119 Likes on 45 Posts

Isnt it a 350z ?
Old 01-21-10, 05:00 PM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

I would never drive in the snow with winter tires, lol. Both cars has Ultra High-Performance all-season Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on them. There are times when my IS350 were on a highway doing about 40 in snow, the rear would just keep spinning and I can't go above 5 mph. I was scared *****less thinking other cars would rear-ended me or they would swirved and cause big accident

I been through number of cars and commutting 30miles to school, doing 40-50mph in snow/icy highway for 7-8 years. This is the first time I'm experience this kind of problems.

Last edited by norapat01; 01-21-10 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-21-10, 07:39 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would never drive in the snow with winter tires, lol. Both cars has Ultra High-Performance all-season Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on them.
And that's why you have the problem you then go on to describe.

There are times when my IS350 were on a highway doing about 40 in snow, the rear would just keep spinning and I can't go above 5 mph. I was scared *****less thinking other cars would rear-ended me or they would swirved and cause big accident

I been through number of cars and commutting 30miles to school, doing 40-50mph in snow/icy highway for 7-8 years. This is the first time I'm experience this kind of problems.

All-seasons are a compromise that are great at nothing at all.

If you live anyplace that gets decent amounts of snow then get summer tires for the summer, and winter tires for the winter.
Old 01-21-10, 08:46 PM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

^ I bought those tires for my IS because they are great on my Z all year-round even in winter (245 up front and 275 rear). My Z would goes up-hill, drive ways, etc, you name it.

Last week my IS was stuck in my driveway for 4 days, lol. Oh well, guess I didn't get use to the IS yet....I only been driving the IS for about 2 week before it start snowing.

Quick Reply: IS350 in Snow