IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Your experience with Crystal white (062) paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-10, 11:01 AM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Your experience with Crystal white (062) paint job?

Hi guys, my wife recently dented the hood and it needs to be replaced. I was looking for a crystal white used hood (for less than a ridiculously high price) but I think that’s beyond my luck.
Now, for those who painted anything in this color code, how did it match the rest of the body? I doubt it’s possible to march this color no matter how good the shop is.

Thanks
Old 01-23-10, 11:15 AM
Honorebel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some issues when I got my front lip and my rear spoiler painted. They did take the paint code(062)when I took the car in and they were the Lexus recommended body shop but it just came out off. When I went back to have it repainted I took in the old front lip so they could color match the paint.
Old 01-23-10, 06:25 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lexus GFX kit I put on my car didn't even match my paint. I think the color fades a bit to a yellowish hue after some time, because the GFX pieces were whiter (and yes, I'm sure they weren't Starfire Pearl).

Are you sure the hood has to be replaced from a dent? Maybe try paintless dent repair?
Old 01-23-10, 06:31 PM
ahnjae
Rookie

yeah bad experiences here too! it always for some reason is too bright.
Old 01-23-10, 06:37 PM
myLexRX
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
The Lexus GFX kit I put on my car didn't even match my paint. I think the color fades a bit to a yellowish hue after some time, because the GFX pieces were whiter (and yes, I'm sure they weren't Starfire Pearl).

Are you sure the hood has to be replaced from a dent? Maybe try paintless dent repair?
yeah, I took it to a shop and they said it's better to replace it. They also told me that to match the paint, they would have to paint the fenders as well, which I'll never do...
Old 01-23-10, 06:39 PM
kidluvsole
Pole Position

i have starfire...its also white...i have many part of the body of my car painted...never ever match its crazy its sucks...im saving up to repaint the whole car..
Old 01-23-10, 06:41 PM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

The shop should blend both fenders for match. If they can tint it close and thn blend it it'll look like new. If they just paint the hood you have a 98% chance that it will look like *** when it's done.
Old 01-23-10, 06:44 PM
ahnjae
Rookie

Most of my cars in the past have been all white. I currently own two white cars and everytime I have tried to get something painted to match the body of the car it has always been slightly off. White is such a hard color to match regardless of the car.
Old 01-23-10, 10:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Having the same problem with my Glacier Frost. Very annoying and frustrating, especially when it was someone else who caused the damage in the first place. I never expected this to drag out but now I see what an issue it is for everyone. This would seriously skew my future car color purchases. I can't believe in this modern day and age they can't come up with some sort of computerized lazer flux capacitor thingy machine that can get a proper match.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 01-23-10 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-23-10, 10:44 PM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Having the same problem with my Glacier Frost. Very annoying and frustrating, especially when it was someone else who caused the damage in the first place. I never expected this to drag out but now I see what an issue it is for everyone. This would seriously skew my future car color purchases. I can't believe in this modern day and age they can't come up with some sort of computerized lazer machine flux capacitor thingy that can get a proper match.
lol, flux capacitor
Old 01-24-10, 01:22 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

my body shop i went to matched it perfectly... they had to repaint my front bumper cover, hood and 2 fenders
Old 01-24-10, 03:52 PM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Having the same problem with my Glacier Frost. Very annoying and frustrating, especially when it was someone else who caused the damage in the first place. I never expected this to drag out but now I see what an issue it is for everyone. This would seriously skew my future car color purchases. I can't believe in this modern day and age they can't come up with some sort of computerized lazer flux capacitor thingy machine that can get a proper match.

The biggest problem is that body shops don't work from the same mixing banks as the manufacturers. When colors are developed for OEM finishes they work with a mixing bank of 300 to 400 toners. Because most shops couldn't afford to inventory a system that big, the paint companies scaled down the systems for shops to under 100 toners. Now add the fact that multiple paint companies supply paint lines (both solvent based and water based) to multiple manufacturers and shops and you can see why a blendable match is the best you can hope for.

When dealing with a three stage finish such as 062 you must be able to match both the base coat and the pearl coat and it is a very time consuming process. For it to be done right I highly advise taking it to a reputable shop, allowing them to blend as they see fit, and tell them to keep the car until it's right.