IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 is350 troubles!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 12:32 PM
Rocketman2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 is350 troubles!

Hi guys im new to the forum... I just purchased a is350 and basically when you get in the car you can put your foot on the brake and the orange light on the start button will turn green and you can hit the button and nothing happens. i have tried holding the key fob right up against the button still no luck. The dash does not say key detected nor does it say key detected it doesnt say anything... another weird thing is that when you get out of the car and walk away all the gauges and the navigation and everything stays on and it drains the battery. I dont understand why all the instruments would stay on whether you open the door close them or whatever. If anyone out there has any idea on any part of my problem and would be so kind as to call me my number is 5013882980... this is my main source of transportation so this is kind of putting me in a issue. i am very mechanically capable of checking things i just dont know what to check... please some one send me a pm or call me or whatever. Im going to work on the car as soon as i get off work at 4:00 central time. Thanks guys...

Tyler Stevens
(Very unhappy lexus owner)

also forgot to add the buttons on the key fob will lock and unlock the doors....

Last edited by Rocketman2; 01-26-10 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 12:46 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Go back to the dealer, very likely a weak battery. You need to keep in mind the following. The button has three power mode, pressing once without depressing brake will turn on Nav screen and second time again will turn on AC. Press once again without depressing brake will turn everything off. I think you just don't know how to turn off all the power that's why you're still getting Nav screen on. The car will not turn on or off when you step in/out of the car, it does not work that way. It makes sense to read the manual or the dealer should've walk you thru the basics of the car before you left after purchase.
Old 01-26-10, 01:49 PM
Rocketman2
Driver School Candidate

if i had a manual that would be great... but i bought it used with no manual so im kinda having to wing it... What battery does everyone recommend? cause it has just a diehard 750 cranking amp battery.

Last edited by Rocketman2; 01-26-10 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 02:18 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

Any battery is fine. Doesn't have to be the expensive one. You can buy the manual online.

i'm not sure but I think you can go online and print it out.
Old 01-26-10, 02:28 PM
nipperiley
Driver School Candidate

I am certain that you have a dead battery. Perhaps you are pressing the off button for too long and getting the car back in the acc mode when you leave, just a thought. You just need to barely touch the off button to get the car off.

Your car must have a replacement battery if the battery does NOT have the Lexus brand battery. You need to have a thorough load test of your battery, but it will need to be fully charged for the test to be accurate. Yours, might be ok, it probably is not too old.

I put an Optima red top battery in my 06 IS250. They are very expensive, but I believe they are the finest battery made. It needed a little retrofiting though. It is shorter than stock, so I needed to shim up the hold down bar at both the front and rear. I also needed to bend the positive connection slightly and did not use the plastic battery cover either. I have had no problems.
Old 01-26-10, 03:37 PM
Rocketman2
Driver School Candidate

ok as far as the lights and nav go i have that figured out... but the car does nothing when you press the brake and then the start button... no click no nothing... i have had it on the battery charger for the last 45 min and still no click no nothing... maybe starter relay or something of that nature i have no clue where the starter relay is i have looked everywhere online and cant find anything. I was going to see if i could jump across the starter but i cant see to do it...
Old 01-26-10, 03:56 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Try jump starting it with cables. That will tell you if the problem is with the battery or lies elsewhere.
Old 01-26-10, 04:13 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketman2
ok as far as the lights and nav go i have that figured out... but the car does nothing when you press the brake and then the start button... no click no nothing... i have had it on the battery charger for the last 45 min and still no click no nothing... maybe starter relay or something of that nature i have no clue where the starter relay is i have looked everywhere online and cant find anything. I was going to see if i could jump across the starter but i cant see to do it...
Did you buy it from the dealer? If yes you should call them and ask for mobile service, I think most Lexus dealer has it. Let them check it out instead of you doing leg work.
Or better yet... file a complaint and yell "lemon", demand to give you another car or IS-F.
Old 01-26-10, 05:23 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone post of picture of Procedures, on how to properly turn on and off the ignition system?

Think that should help...

If the keyfob unlocks the doors, it might be your Main Battery...
Old 01-26-10, 05:26 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm going to assume you bought your Lexus used. Perhaps you are still under the factory warranty? I would take it in to your nearest Lexus dealer to check it out, especially if you're still under warranty.
Old 01-27-10, 08:07 AM
Rocketman2
Driver School Candidate

Is there maybe some type of brake pressure safety deal? Cause I had a bad brake caliper I swapped out and all the fluid drained and I need to refill the tank and bleed the brakes cause as of. Now there is no brake pressure....
Old 01-27-10, 09:40 AM
Rocketman2
Driver School Candidate

Bled the brakes still no luck... Another thing is i cant get the steering wheel to unlock. the wheels are turned and i cant get it on a trailer. turned on all the power as far as the navigation and gauges and stuff and the steering wheel still wont unlock... any other ideas guys? I know yall have better things to be doing but im desperate to get this fixed...
Old 01-27-10, 10:03 AM
nipperiley
Driver School Candidate

I would still double check and make sure the battery is fully charged,that is: the battery charger indicator needle drops to near zero at the end of the charging sesion, that there are no dead cells and the terminal connections are clean and tight. I don't know if there is a brake presure safety reset that needs to be done. It could be a starter relay or a bad starter ignition switch on the dash. You didn't say how many miles were on the vehicle, but it should still turn over even with a bad alternator.

Just as an aside, I recommend that your register the vehicle (need the VIN #) on the official Lexus.com website. Once registered you can pull all service work ever done on the vehicle at any Lexus dealership. You can also get online owner's manual or order a print version.
Old 01-27-10, 03:21 PM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that if the steering is locked you will need to turn it a little to get the interlock to release and it should start. you might have to use a lot of pressure to turn the steering wheel. turn it in either direction to the point where it isnt resting against the lock.
Old 01-27-10, 03:36 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

How did you get it home in the first place from the dealership?
Sounds like an expensive issue if it isn't the battery (probably ECU issue). I would check the fuses for anything relating to the starter...but that would most likely show up as an error light. What lights come on when your foot is on the brakes and you press start? Do you have an OBD II scanner? Might want to see if any codes come up (dealer may have forced them to be cleared).

Quick Reply: 2006 is350 troubles!