IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Synthetic oil Factory fill for 2010

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 01:00 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

what a joke. i just spent 20 minutes outside and did my own oil change for free. mobile 1 synthetic i buy two 5qt jugs for 40 bucks
Old 01-28-10, 01:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

synthetic is always better anyway. In AZ with the heat we don't mess with conventional motor oil unless the car is brand new. When the ambient temps get into the 120's and you are pushing a 2 ton car ( with the driver) the motor can use all of the help it can get
Old 01-28-10, 02:36 PM
loftus112
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why pay so much? Just go to your local Walmart and buy the best engine oil, full synthetic Mobile 1 5 qts for about $24 (just get another case since our cars uses more than 5 qts. and save the rest for next usage). Take that to a local mechanic shop that carries OEM Toyota/Lexus oil filters for the Lexus and they should do it for under $20 including the OEM filter. That's what I've been doing for years.
Old 01-28-10, 03:26 PM
hiep92657
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm a newbie. I know the synthetic oil will last 10k miles, but will the filter last that long?
Old 01-29-10, 07:00 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

10K miles on the oil filter is fine. I have UOA that show the OEM filter still providing safe protection at 12+K miles.

Koz
Old 01-29-10, 10:15 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I'd still like to know. Anybody have a 2010 ISx50?
The answer is NO..

The 2010's are still coming with regular 5w30 oil.

Both the Oil & Filter have a Lexus recommended 5,000 Service Interval.

^^^ That goes for the entire IS Model Line up

Joe Z
Old 01-29-10, 10:18 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The answer is NO..

The 2010's are still coming with regular 5w30 oil.

Both the Oil & Filter have a Lexus recommended 5,000 Service Interval.

^^^ That goes for the entire IS Model Line up

Joe Z
Joe - thanks for the answer on 2010's. I guess we can hope the change happens next year maybe...
Old 01-29-10, 10:55 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Joe - thanks for the answer on 2010's. I guess we can hope the change happens next year maybe...
No problem.. and I doubt it..
Old 01-29-10, 07:32 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Every time I'm on a car forum, 90% of the members claim to do all of their own service. In South Florida (at least in my neighborhood), it's a pretty rare sight to see someone lift their hood, much less change the oil in their driveway.

I think changing your own oil is a PIA, and is messy. I'd much rather pay someone with the right tools, facility, and recycling to handle it.

My 06 came from the factory with a synthetic blend, and that's what the dealer uses when I have it serviced. I'm leasing, very low mileage, and not sure I'm keeping the car at lease end. Those factors combined keep me from spending the extra cash for full synthetic.

IMO, full synthetics are great, but you're only creating a benefit for the next owner of the car unless you plan on keeping the car for many years and miles. Until the motor has enough wear and tear to realize the benefit of a life of synthetic oil, the law of diminishing returns applies.
Old 01-30-10, 08:13 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
Every time I'm on a car forum, 90% of the members claim to do all of their own service. In South Florida (at least in my neighborhood), it's a pretty rare sight to see someone lift their hood, much less change the oil in their driveway.

I think changing your own oil is a PIA, and is messy. I'd much rather pay someone with the right tools, facility, and recycling to handle it.

My 06 came from the factory with a synthetic blend, and that's what the dealer uses when I have it serviced. I'm leasing, very low mileage, and not sure I'm keeping the car at lease end. Those factors combined keep me from spending the extra cash for full synthetic.

IMO, full synthetics are great, but you're only creating a benefit for the next owner of the car unless you plan on keeping the car for many years and miles. Until the motor has enough wear and tear to realize the benefit of a life of synthetic oil, the law of diminishing returns applies.

If you change every 5k then yes, you're only benefiting the next owner, and literally pouring $ down the drain with each change.

If you change it once a year however you're saving a lot of time and money on too-frequent changes by using synthetic, which is certainly worth it IMHO.

I'm pretty sure yours did not come with a synthetic blend from the factory BTW, since it came from the same factory everyone elses came from and they got regular dino oil.
Old 01-30-10, 10:24 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I'm pretty sure yours did not come with a synthetic blend from the factory BTW, since it came from the same factory everyone elses came from and they got regular dino oil.
My mistake, then. The dealer tells me that they're using the blend because that's what Lexus used when it was new, but obviously they're not infallable.

I change my oil every 5k miles or 6 months in accordance with the service schedule. I do use synthetic in my wife's vehicle (we're keeping it awhile), and I maintain the service schedule regardless. It might not be absolutely necessary, but it couldn't hurt.
Old 01-30-10, 02:25 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
what about oil changes in the garage, that's your missing variable, hahaha? plus people on car forum are enthusiasts. we're a different breed from everyone else. looking at forums makes you think everyone mods their car, but it's not common on the road.

i rather not let some joe blow do a 5 minute change. i like to let all the old oil completely drip out. heard all the horror stories at those quick lube places? stripped drain plug? no thanks!! it's actually not too hard to do a change.
Old 01-30-10, 06:15 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jetfire
what about oil changes in the garage, that's your missing variable, hahaha? plus people on car forum are enthusiasts. we're a different breed from everyone else. looking at forums makes you think everyone mods their car, but it's not common on the road.

i rather not let some joe blow do a 5 minute change. i like to let all the old oil completely drip out. heard all the horror stories at those quick lube places? stripped drain plug? no thanks!! it's actually not too hard to do a change.
People using cars for garages in Florida is even more rare than changing their own oil. I use mine for cars, but it's storage for many because there are no basements.

Re: 5 minute oil changes - there are a lot of gradients between Jiffy Lube and DIY. I don't go to those places either, but I've had zero problems with a trusted local mechanic and my Lexus dealer.
Old 01-30-10, 07:13 PM
giantdefy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer to do my own oil changes. Its very difficult for me to trust my car to any mechanic. When I took my Tundra to the local toyota dealer, I told 2 service techs and 1 mechanic to specifically only use LSD oil in my rear diff...and what do these numb-nuts do, they put in regular diff oil, and theres a sticker next to the drain plug that says "LSD Oil only". So now my LSD is making grinding noises cause they used the wrong oil. I had these guys redo the work.

On my mazda when I took it in for an oil change at the Mazda dealer, they forget to bolt down the splash shield...aaargh!! 2nd time I take it in for another oil change, they lift the car on the side skirts damaging the right side of the body. Only plus side is that I got to abuse their rental car for 2 weeks.

ive also read on this forum that someone after 6 months of driving finds out that the Lexus dealer forgot to put back the oil fill cap!
Im sure there are alot of people who request Synthetic oil, but how do you know if they just put regular oil in it?
Oil changes are easy and Im not about to trust my $40K car to some numb-nut mechanic who really doesnt care about your car. Im done taking my car to any dealer for regular maintenance.