IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Moving on to something new?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 10:22 AM
nocturnal2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving on to something new?

Well after owning my is350 for 3 years now im getting bored of it, i still love the looks and interior as much as when i first got it but the lack of performance mods have made it boring. Im looking at picking up a 08-09 bmw 335i coupe as i dont feel i need 4drs anymore and these cars make great power with modifications (twin turbo 6cyl), the idrive navigation is pretty nice as well and we all know how much our lexus nav's suck, my question is has anybody driven one or owned one? what about bmw's reliability? is it better now and was that only a thing of the past to worry about? Im going to miss my cluster on the is350 as the bmw's is pretty boring to look at but making 400rwhp with some mods would be nice and 300lbs of torque @ something like 1800rpm is sweet stock. Think this car would be a good candidate to replace my is350?
Old 02-01-10, 10:25 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes

ten
Old 02-01-10, 10:28 AM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I hear and believe in, BMW's reliability has not gotten better and they're still going to be nice unreliable performance cars. If I was to upgrade, it would be something bigger like a C63,IS-F,911 Turbo. But I got to admit, no real aftermarket does make our cars quite boring but we probably all bough an IS for reliability mostly and luxury anyways.
Old 02-01-10, 10:51 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I wanted a more sporty less practical car I would rather get a 911 than a 335i. Plus its is pretty fuel efficient, has more class, and is more fun to drive. With more power you will probably get bored of as well in time, but with a car that can go through the turns better the feeling should last. But yeah BMW reliability is pretty good on the 3 series compared to the rest of their line.
Old 02-01-10, 11:10 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

that 335i sounds like fun but you're gonna miss your 350
Old 02-01-10, 02:07 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont think our navi is quite that bad. have you tried the Idrive? but yes the 335 will be nice little step up
Old 02-01-10, 02:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sytfu_IS
If I was to upgrade, it would be something bigger like a C63,IS-F,911 Turbo.
Yes, if you are going to the trouble and expense, might as well really step up in performance.
Old 02-01-10, 02:15 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, if you are going to the trouble and expense, might as well really step up in performance.
Amen

10char
Old 02-01-10, 02:16 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

This thread is funny. You've had your car for 3 years now and you join CL just to post that you're getting rid of it?! haha

Anyways GL, the 335i is nice.
Old 02-01-10, 02:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

To the OP: refer to this thread for comparing your Lexus to a BMW

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...in-thread.html
Old 02-01-10, 02:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
This thread is funny. You've had your car for 3 years now and you join CL just to post that you're getting rid of it?! haha
Just a bit troll-like, but that's just an observation.

But back on topic, the huge depreciation hit on a trade, high purchase price of the new 335i, and watching passengers crawl into the coupe's back seat is a little hard to justify for the minor performance difference.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-01-10 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-01-10, 03:05 PM
ijulmimi
Lead Lap

imo you should get M3 to replace your 2IS..like jadu said, you'll miss your IS350 if you get 335i..since you're aiming for a 2 door, how about 370z? I think that will be a sick car to mod and drive
Old 02-01-10, 03:53 PM
BTLS250
Driver

What mods do you have on your car right now? I don't think your statement claiming that the 2is lacks performance mods has any basis on truth at all. If you love your IS as much as you claim you do, there are options available. You just need to be willing to dish out the money for the gains. Isuxel is a prime example of someone who loved the 2is platform enough to spend the money to make it faster.

That being said, good luck on your search for a car that doesn't bore you. But from my own limited knowledge, even I can tell you that going the bimmer route is going to give you a lot more headaches than your IS ever did. There's a member on the forums that owns both cars, maybe you can ask him for some advice. His user ID is 'Phiber'
Old 02-01-10, 04:00 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

the idrive navigation is pretty nice as well and we all know how much our lexus nav's suck
I've never had that experience. I test drove a 335i and the iDrive said I was in the ocean. The dealer spent the entire drive trying to get it to fix itself, insisting you could tell it where you are as a reference point, but couldn't get it to work. I haven't seen iDrive get better since my sister bought a 2005 BMW.

It is fun to drive though.
Old 02-01-10, 04:15 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by AznJason
I've never had that experience. I test drove a 335i and the iDrive said I was in the ocean. The dealer spent the entire drive trying to get it to fix itself, insisting you could tell it where you are as a reference point, but couldn't get it to work. I haven't seen iDrive get better since my sister bought a 2005 BMW.

It is fun to drive though.
that reminds me of when i was first test driving the 335 as well. i test drove it in marina del rey, and it said that i was in the ocean as well. sure, marina del rey is practically oceanside, but for navi to even have the option to place the car directly in "water" on the nav screen- that was not good. my salesman was like "it has a comedian inside it. it says stuff like that to get a chuckle out of you. that was how bmw wanted to relate to its customers." and after fiddling with it for a good twenty minutes, he gave up and allowed me to drive off. needless to say, if i wanted a dealer to relate to me, it wouldve done stuff like put on a car show with performance and beautification mods such as longo lexus did with its Pursuit of Perfection.

cant really knock bmw for its performance because it is top notch (maybe not as glorified as them fanboys make them out to be), but reliability...i dont agree that it has gotten better, aside from the M line. especially the three and seven series, im seeing more on the road with their hazards. everytime i think of bmw, i think of cars on the road, and what my salesman said about the car's internal "comedian". its fun having a sexy ride, but its definitely not funny when it doesnt work the proper way.

Quick Reply: Moving on to something new?