IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

changing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 08:58 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Sytfu_IS
Nice gain, I wonder how accurate their dyno's are info is.
Intake +4.7 HP and Exhaust only +1.4 HP?
Old 02-02-10, 09:31 AM
vdubturbo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why anyone would go with an aftermarket "gimmick" plug over OEMs... all for like 5 supposed HP and to risk dealing with CELs and such.

Go OEM on the plugs and never look back.

For what its worth... I run el cheapo Autolite plugs in my turbo car and that thing runs like a champ. I would use a high quality plug for the Lexo... but still an OEM replacement.
Old 02-02-10, 09:39 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,982 Likes on 2,410 Posts

After many years of trying anything that might work, I've come to the conclusion there's no such thing as a "magic" sparkplug which produces more power. Ignition is all based on probability, and your engine needs to have at least 95% ignition to pass OBDII checks for misfire. If you really think there's something to be gained by changing plug brands, I've got some bridges for sale.

The only thing that matters to a sparkplug is heat range and sufficient voltage to jump a spark. If you don't change the ignition, there is nothing about the spark you should expect to be different. The MOST important thing about ignition is having the right A/F mixture at the plug when it fires - regardless of the style of spark.
Old 02-02-10, 10:31 AM
Bodz123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
After many years of trying anything that might work, I've come to the conclusion there's no such thing as a "magic" sparkplug which produces more power. Ignition is all based on probability, and your engine needs to have at least 95% ignition to pass OBDII checks for misfire. If you really think there's something to be gained by changing plug brands, I've got some bridges for sale.

The only thing that matters to a sparkplug is heat range and sufficient voltage to jump a spark. If you don't change the ignition, there is nothing about the spark you should expect to be different. The MOST important thing about ignition is having the right A/F mixture at the plug when it fires - regardless of the style of spark.
Amen brother.
Old 02-02-10, 10:45 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree.

The only thing I would like to add is; through the years of trying different brands of plugs (Auto and motorcycles), the NGKs last the longest and have NEVER failed. I personally would not even bother using any other brand.

Koz
Old 02-02-10, 10:51 AM
Lexus@17
Lexus Test Driver

when our car hit 60k thats when we supposed to change our plugs correct?
if so then i am getting close to that also.
so i really do want to know a little more about these spark plug stuff because this is my first time also about spark plug and etc.
Old 02-02-10, 11:02 AM
JDMis350
Driver

Lobuxracer your reply was funny to the people who think they gonna gain HP off spark plugs.anyways yeah i want to buy a bridge if you got any left. haha jk. but yeah i'm pretty sure lexus engineers already went through his process that were are going through with Spark Plugs and thats when they came up with the NGK's for the OEM plugs. thats just what i think.so ill stay OEM as they are good enough already. 5hp or less for a CEL ...NOPE!
Old 02-02-10, 11:12 AM
lilbluu
Driver

what is the model number for the spark plugs? i am trying to buy some too.
Old 02-02-10, 12:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,982 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I agree.

The only thing I would like to add is; through the years of trying different brands of plugs (Auto and motorcycles), the NGKs last the longest and have NEVER failed. I personally would not even bother using any other brand.

Koz
That's my experience as well. NGK beats all for reliability. I've had ND plugs die in as little as 600 miles of street driving on a motorcycle.

Another "keep this in mind" - every time you change your plugs, you add a little wear to the plug threads. Many of us use an anti-seize compound on plug threads to minimize wear and maximize electrical conductivity. Still, the Iridium plugs we have today last a very long time compared to the old Champions I remember as a kid and the NGKs I ran in my 1980 750F Honda. The fewer times you replace plugs, the less wear and tear on the cylinder head and the less likely you'll ever strip a plug hole.

For the IS250 (incl AWD) - ND FK20HBR11
For the IS350 - ND FK20HBR11
For the IS-F - ND FK20HBR11
For the IS250C - ND FK20HBR11
For the IS350C - ND FK20HBR11

Notice, there's a bit of a pattern here...and there is no NGK equivalent I can find anywhere.

Lexus part number is 90919‑01249.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 02-02-10 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 01:23 PM
lilbluu
Driver

i reading mixed answers for spark plugs. some say denso, other say ngk....which one!!??!1
Old 02-02-10, 03:09 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good info

Originally Posted by Koz
I agree.

Koz
NGK is awesome. i've had problems in japanese cars and champion plugs
Old 02-02-10, 06:16 PM
ahnjae
Rookie

I have worked on many Toyotas and have always ran Denso Iridium IK Series and love them. All the parts on Toyotas (alternators, sensors, etc.) are all usually made by Denso so ive always stuck with them.

Last edited by ahnjae; 02-02-10 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 06:22 PM
ahnjae
Rookie

Originally Posted by L-S-D
its 12.44 already how cheap do u want it... thats like going to buy fast food man who cares if u can get it for 1 or 2 $ cheaper lol.....
$12.44 is the cost for one plug. Times that by 6 for the IS and its $74.64. So the overall price for plugs are actually pretty expensive depending on the brand your looking for including the material you want to use like iridium, platinum, copper etc.
Old 02-02-10, 07:25 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yea 12.44 is for one plug. i was hoping to find plugs around the price of 8 dollars. 8 dollars is the price of spark plugs that my friend replaced on his 330i. that extra 4 dollars equates to alot when you multiply it by 6 to change all the plugs
Old 02-03-10, 01:02 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

The cheapest I could find is 12.66 so just go with Sewell

Quick Reply: changing spark plugs