IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My Tint Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 04:05 PM
GoGators
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Tint Nightmare

I am in the recovery process from a bad tint incident. First, the tint installed on my back window was causing interference with the AM radio. Also, it had some adhesion issues. So, I took it back to the tint shop. They assured me that they stand by their work, and that they could safely remove it, and apply non-metalic tint.

I nervously waited for them to do this. When finished, I inspected the tint, and found several breaks in the antenna and defroster. They assured me it should be fine. Well.....it wasn't.

The shop owner was very nice and felt really bad. They replaced my back windshield to fix the issue. I told them not to tint it.

So, here I sit with a car that is tinted on the sides, and not on the back. I obviously want to fix this but am very nervous about my next step. What kind of tint should I get? I have contacted the dealer and they provided me with the name of the shop they use. Should the tinter cut around the tail light, or remove it and tint behind it?

I look forward to the advice of my fellow forum members.

Last edited by GoGators; 02-03-10 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-03-10, 04:16 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

since they replaced your back windshield i would let them try it one more time. i mean its not going to cost you anything since you paid for it, and im pretty sure the shop owner would make sure his best would work on it this time because i doubt he would want to have to take it off again or replace another back windshield
Old 02-03-10, 04:21 PM
GoGators
Rookie

Other things I was concerned about making me hesitant were why was the radio interference happening? They did take off the light and tint behind it. With 15% tint, it almost made the light pointless. Do others cut around the light? Is metal film an issue on the IS? Sorry, I am a little gun shy.
Old 02-03-10, 04:27 PM
DJSirkit13
Driver

suntek carbon series works the best i use that on my car never had a issue
Old 02-03-10, 04:29 PM
GoGators
Rookie

Originally Posted by DJSirkit13
suntek carbon series works the best i use that on my car never had a issue
Did you cut around the rear light or tint behind it?
Old 02-03-10, 04:50 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The breaks you see in the wire are from when they removed the tint. I would give them another shot and have them re-tint the rear. They seem reputable as not many shops would own up to their mistakes and I know that rear windshield was not cheap.
Old 02-03-10, 05:48 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea seeing as they replaced ur window i would give em another shot also (if they want to)... what kinda tint are they using? i have 3M tint on mines and i dont have any problem.
Old 02-03-10, 05:49 PM
GoGators
Rookie

The shop definitely stood up and took responsibility. I just do not want to have to make them deal with another issue. I feel bad for them, as I have used them over the years, with no issues. High rating for caring about their customers.

So, what is the consensus? Trim around the rear light or not? Dealer shop?

This has taken way too much of my time dealing with.
Old 02-03-10, 05:54 PM
sandwiches
Driver

How's the side tint look? If it looks good, give them another shot at the back.
If not, have them remove the sides also and go somewhere else.
Old 02-03-10, 06:34 PM
tastfulmod
Pole Position

I would just give them another shot because this time around try would make sure to do their best because they don't want to deal with another issue or have bad reputation. To me if a shop replaced my window I would give them another shot.
Old 02-03-10, 06:40 PM
GoGators
Rookie

I had a few problems with the sides too (I think because it was cold when they put it on). I just feel too bad to put them on the spot again. The owner is a really nice guy. They did fix the sides and they look great.
Old 02-03-10, 06:55 PM
giantdefy
Driver

I wouldnt trust them to do it again, they screwed it up twice, why risk it a third time, theres no mister nice guy when it involves your $40K car. Good they replaced your rear window, they owe you that after ruining your original window. Id still be pissed, coz now the window is no longer factory and is susceptible to leaks. If you asked me, they owe you a free tint job just for screwing up twice. If not, I suggest you go with the dealer recommended tint shop, because that tint shop most likely deals with a lot of ISx50.

I had mine tinted last week, I called my local dealer and they recommended a place. went to the place and they said they average around five ISx50s a week which lets me know that they can do it right the first time.

Metalic tint will always kill your AM signal, cut down your radar detector effectiveness, so I went with 15% Ceramic Tint. You can still see the 3rd brake light clearly when the brakes are applied. 15% is not dark at all and anyone following you can still see you and your passengers sillouette

Last edited by giantdefy; 02-03-10 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-03-10, 07:45 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

let them try it again, but switch to something else other than metallic tint. how about ceramic tint 3m, or formula 1 tint
Old 02-03-10, 07:55 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The shop made a mistake and corrected it, and you're asking strangers on a message board whether you should trust them again. Get over it and give them another chance.

When I got my windows tinted, they used ceramic to avoid any radio interference. Metallic tint will interfere with antennas, and your radio antenna is integrated into your back window. This was your responsibility to know, not theirs. Frankly, I'm surprised they agreed to remove it in the first place, unless they were doing so because of bubbling/adhesion only.
Old 02-04-10, 05:09 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree that the ceramic is the best way to go. this was my first time using ceramic and i would not use metallic ever again on a car.

Quick Reply: My Tint Nightmare