Oh god.. what is this?
Old 02-11-10, 07:28 AM
aQuarius26
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, its real....

My thread on this is here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ering-out.html

Could a mod please re-direct this tread to mine to help merge information?

Last edited by aQuarius26; 02-11-10 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-11-10, 08:06 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

This post is already being posted on an internet auto site. Tell me Toyota dosen't have a big target on their back!

Koz
Old 02-11-10, 08:36 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Steering rack re-call........................just saying???
Old 02-11-10, 08:38 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

SERIES OF EVENTS:

1.) P/S went out. (at the precise moment I enter a parking garage in the daytime with the lights set to auto mode and they engage)

2.) Dealership replaces Power Steering ECU

3.) 2 Weeks later I start the car before leaving work (with lights set to auto mode) and as soon as I touch the steering wheel it begins to shake rapidly as if possessed. (SEE VIDEO in post #8)

4.) Give dealership the video with the car they try to replicate the problem. Two weeks later after failing to re-create the problem, corporate tells them to replace the steering rack assembly just as they did 6 months earlier for the TSIB because they simply do not have any idea what caused the steering wheel to shake.

MY CONCLUSION:

After doing some research here on CL, I've found and talked to a couple other members who have had the same problems, and both of which also had aftermarket HID systems.

Member #1
This member had their ECU "go out" (as mine did) and actually had their dealership in Florida conclude that his HID Ballast was mounted too close to the power steering ECU, and thus "fried" his P/S ECU.

Member #2
This member had their steering wheel violently shake (as mine did) when they started the car at night with the lights set to auto mode.

It's been almost two months since I got my car back and I have had no P/S issues.
However I have not set the lights to Auto mode since, and though I can't prove it, I truly believe that sometimes when the auto lights go on, the ballast freaks out the system OR vise versa.

I personally followed Muzzman1'S write-up about how to install and HID kit, and if you check out that thread, you can see where I mounted each ballast.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...-pictures.html

I plan to relocate both ballasts in the spring by extending the wires to keep both of them as far away from any ECU or Fuse box type devices as possible.
Old 02-11-10, 03:42 PM
AtlantaGuy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e

SERIES OF EVENTS:

1.) P/S went out. (at the precise moment I enter a parking garage in the daytime with the lights set to auto mode and they engage)

2.) Dealership replaces Power Steering ECU

3.) 2 Weeks later I start the car before leaving work (with lights set to auto mode) and as soon as I touch the steering wheel it begins to shake rapidly as if possessed. (SEE VIDEO in post #8)

4.) Give dealership the video with the car they try to replicate the problem. Two weeks later after failing to re-create the problem, corporate tells them to replace the steering rack assembly just as they did 6 months earlier for the TSIB because they simply do not have any idea what caused the steering wheel to shake.

MY CONCLUSION:

After doing some research here on CL, I've found and talked to a couple other members who have had the same problems, and both of which also had aftermarket HID systems.

Member #1
This member had their ECU "go out" (as mine did) and actually had their dealership in Florida conclude that his HID Ballast was mounted too close to the power steering ECU, and thus "fried" his P/S ECU.

Member #2
This member had their steering wheel violently shake (as mine did) when they started the car at night with the lights set to auto mode.

It's been almost two months since I got my car back and I have had no P/S issues.
However I have not set the lights to Auto mode since, and though I can't prove it, I truly believe that sometimes when the auto lights go on, the ballast freaks out the system OR vise versa.

I personally followed Muzzman1'S write-up about how to install and HID kit, and if you check out that thread, you can see where I mounted each ballast.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...-pictures.html

I plan to relocate both ballasts in the spring by extending the wires to keep both of them as far away from any ECU or Fuse box type devices as possible.

Not sure what the "auto" mode would have to do with it. In manual mode you still turn on the lights....is it freaking out then? Shouldn't make a difference "HOW" the lights are turned on..they are still turned on.
Old 02-11-10, 03:55 PM
aQuarius26
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy
Not sure what the "auto" mode would have to do with it. In manual mode you still turn on the lights....is it freaking out then? Shouldn't make a difference "HOW" the lights are turned on..they are still turned on.
I agree, it shouldn't matter... However that is the only coincidence i've found as to WHEN this phenomenon seems to be happening...
Old 02-11-10, 04:22 PM
4U2eNv_8o8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
haha that was pretty hilarious

if it was my car yea it might not be so funny but~ haha
Hahaha!!! What a meanie.

That's still surprising. I believe that would be the first time I have heard of that on the CL forums.
Old 02-11-10, 04:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Originally Posted by aQuarius26
I agree, it shouldn't matter... However that is the only coincidence i've found as to WHEN this phenomenon seems to be happening...
That actually may have a lot to do with it. The switches do not directly actuate the relays for the lighting, they send a network command to the BEAN ECU to actuate the relays for the lights. So this could be a Body Electrical Area Network issue in conjunction with the aftermarket HID ballasts. It's possible there's an initialization procedure the steering ECU is not completing properly because there is electrical noise from the aftermarket ballasts. Or any of a hundred other possible things - but fundamentally, there is clearly an issue with two cars using aftermarket HIDs, and no other reports of this issue from cars with OEM HIDs, or ordinary Halogen lights.

While the video really looks bad, there are a million videos with things going bad where aftermarket parts have caused issues with the OEM systems. The unfortunate part is, Lexus has no obligation to fix this problem until the OEM lighting is restored because (essentially) the problem is only found on cars with aftermarket lights. There is no warranty from Lexus for aftermarket and no warranty of fitness for aftermarket anything, so they're pretty much off the hook to solve this from a legal perspective. They may try to be nice about it and help resolve the issues but there's nothing forcing them to do this.
Old 02-11-10, 08:10 PM
LexFather

Also be aware this is getting linked elsewhere and some places are not being completely accurate showing what the exact issue is and how it is being addressed, they are only posting pics of the video (and it is a freaky video).
Old 02-11-10, 08:20 PM
tw88
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
While the video really looks bad, there are a million videos with things going bad where aftermarket parts have caused issues with the OEM systems. The unfortunate part is, Lexus has no obligation to fix this problem until the OEM lighting is restored because (essentially) the problem is only found on cars with aftermarket lights. There is no warranty from Lexus for aftermarket and no warranty of fitness for aftermarket anything, so they're pretty much off the hook to solve this from a legal perspective. They may try to be nice about it and help resolve the issues but there's nothing forcing them to do this.
have to agree on this, once you start modding and problems come up, you're on your own.
Old 02-12-10, 12:47 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats insane.
Old 02-21-10, 11:41 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...n-its-own.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFEzpwrhZyU
Old 02-21-10, 03:42 PM
Maxx250awd
Pole Position

Nigel we are so going to be official facebook friends.
Old 02-21-10, 03:49 PM
VIP > JDM
Driver

holly **** that is crazy....