IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

RPM problem..has any experienced this??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 09:56 AM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM problem..has any experienced this??

hello all,
I just wanted to ask and see if anyone has every experienced this with their ISx50..

yesterday when I was stopped at the red light, I noticed that my RPM was jumping up and down from 2K to 4K..
I had my foot on the brake so the car did not move, but it was shaking a lot..

it is the second time that I've experienced this, and I was wondering if it was normal..

maybe I'm little paranoid due to all these recent "recalls" made by Toyota, but I gotta say that I was little scared

anyways, please let me know if anyone has experienced this, and if so, how you solved this problem

thanks in advanced

Ken
Old 02-11-10, 10:16 AM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

mine did from 1.5 k and went back to normal.
It was a while back and nothing else after that.
I'm at 36k miles now and i'm starting to get that famous knock engine noise at start up tho. I'll take it in after next week and mention that weird rpm jumping and see what they say...
Old 02-11-10, 10:53 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did do some weird stuff yesterday when I stoped at a light...it kinda felt like it was downshiftin but I don't normally feel it though.... I have an auto though not sure if that makes a difference... I olny have 4500 miles on mines
Old 02-11-10, 11:00 AM
shiny250
Advanced

hmm i get that when i start my car up. when i shift from park to drive, the rpm shoots up to 2.5k n then back down quickly. when im stopped at a light theres only a little bit of fluctuation.
Old 02-11-10, 11:48 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only Idle related issues I've had with my car is two cases.

1st is when I come to a stop, when the car is cold still warming up, the idle will drop to 500-400 and the car will shake, but the RPM's will climb back up to normal and it won't do it after that.

2nd, only during winter season which is 40's at night for California. When the car is cold again, sometimes when I come to a stop, the RPM's will shoot up to 2K rpms, even holding the brakes you can feel the car wanting to "GO". When I release the brake, the car will just drive itself mildly at 2K rpms.

All deemed 'normal' lol.
Old 02-11-10, 12:54 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah...just like the acclerator pedals thing was "normal" until a bunch of folks got killed.
As a side note, Toyota hasnt done anything to effectively squash the accleration problem. They havent done a thing about the SOFTWARE used to make the engine go. Where are the safety checks? Seems pretty straight forward to me that if the system gets stuck in WOT for some time, that it would kill the engine.

and you know what? they wont do anything about it and hope noone else notices their blunder. I would think it should have been a two pronged approach whereby they fixed the faulty mechanical accelrator and install the new safety firmware as a fail safe.

until then....be vigilant.
Old 02-11-10, 01:04 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

first of all the acclerator pedal being stuck was because the floor mats were jammed underneath, nothing was wrong with the pedals. You are referring to the prius incident, where their software was the problem. Toyota has already address the prius software by providing a free update. and a second note, the only prius affected were the first year production i believe. There was never anything wrong with lexus software.

your suggestion for killing the engine has many faults in it. I think it would be very dangerous for the engine to just shut off by itself. what happens if im tracking the car where i would be in WOT all the time? if the car were to just shut off imagine what dangers i would be in there now without being able to speed up for incoming traffic or the use of power steering to help me
Old 02-11-10, 01:04 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 735 Likes on 506 Posts

You know what can explain 99% of car crashes? Driver error.
Old 02-11-10, 02:32 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Everyone, this is a thread about SeOuLiS250's engine revs. There are 2 billion threads in car chat discussing the Toyota/Lexus recalls, let's not turn this thread into another one.

Javier
Old 02-11-10, 03:15 PM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

may be something to do with the direct injection system?
Old 02-11-10, 03:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Everyone, this is a thread about SeOuLiS250's engine revs. There are 2 billion threads in car chat discussing the Toyota/Lexus recalls, let's not turn this thread into another one.

Javier
x2, please stay on topic
Old 02-11-10, 06:27 PM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Ken, take it to the dealership ASAP. im sure they'll want to work on your car rite away, cause of all the recalls. Plus you wanna be on the safe side, just in case. GL bro
Old 02-11-10, 06:53 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

^please stay on topic...there is a pm button
yea take it to the dealership, and the recall i dont think it affects the is, but i might be wrong
Old 02-11-10, 07:14 PM
allst4r
Lead Lap

the only time my car does that is if im going down hill and braking.
Old 02-11-10, 07:57 PM
kbkura
Driver

I've had my idle RPM stay around 1800 or so occasionally... however, I thought it could have been due to the extremely cold weather during those times. Is this possible?

Quick Reply: RPM problem..has any experienced this??