DIY: Foglight Modification

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 09:10 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Nice job Italiano. Can you share the schematics you

Originally Posted by iTaLiAnO
Sorry for the wait guys. Here's how I did it. I connected the parking light wire to the fog light wire so that whenever the parking lights are on, the fogs are on. This gives me the possibility to run with or without fogs in the day, if I choose to run with them, then the DRL's are on as well.
As you'll see in the pictures, I pulled out my parking light bulbs a while ago (personal preference), so when I start my car with hand brake on then I can have the fogs ONLY. Obviously thats not practical. On the first click of the light stalk is DRL's, Parking Lights, and Fogs.
The only problem was locating the wire, which I went to Lexus for. They were happy to print me a 35 page colour wiring diagram and tell me "good luck" lol. After some careful reading, I found out which wires were left and right parking lights and fogs.

I am going to use pocky's picture to describe:

-Locate fuse box on far driver side, open (push tab at the bottom and pull)
-Being delicate, push the tabs on either side of the control box to lift it out
-Un plug the connector on the right side of this picture

-On that connector, locate 1)green with red stripe, 2)blue, 3)light green, and 4)dark green (you will have to remove some tape and pull back the plastic housing)
-Now the next part can be done one of two ways.

Light Green = Pin 6 = Right Fog
Green with Red Stripe = Pin 7 = Left Fog
Blue = Pin 9 = Left Parking light
Dark Green = Pin 8 = Right Parking Light

So you can connect Light Green --> Dark Green OR Green w/ red --> Blue

Either way will work, and will turn BOTH fogs and BOTH parking lights on. I don't advise you connect both unless you can make sure everything remains very thin afterwards, and the control box will fit back in its space.

I just twisted the two together (after removing a bit of the silicon or rubber or wtv it is of course) and put electric tape over the two of them.

Problem: I blew the parking light fuse after a few times of turning them on and off. I replaced the stock "10" with a spare "25" that was in the box, and I have yet to change it. I plan on seeing first if it will stay intact with a 15 or a 20, since 25 is much bigger than what is supposed to be there, and I dont wanna melt wires.

The fuse in question, for those of you who don't know, can be found by reading the underside of the lid for the fuse box you've already opened. It is titled FR Tail if im not mistaken.

Here's the finished product. Enjoy.
Started with hand brake on (fogs only)

With DRL's (normal driving):
Can you share the schematics you received from Lexus?
Old 11-11-12, 09:14 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Default Nice job. Can you share the schematics you used?

Originally Posted by pocky
First, I take ZERO credit for this as I did not figure this out myself. I found the info searching the forums. The credit goes to blk250

I decided to create a new thread, since *cough* most people don't search, and I know people want to do this mod. For those of you that do not "understand the concept" of this mod, it's just personal preference, nothing else.

I originally found the information posted here by blk250.

There is also a alternative method posted here by Proper 350.

BOTH methods work, just depends on what you prefer. I preferred the rocker switch way.

Also NOTE, blk250 mentions that you can alternatively tap into the purple wire on the other connector instead of the white wire and it will work only when the ignition is switched to on. I tried this first and it does not work.

The finer details are laid out in that thread.

Excuse the photos as they are from the iPhone.

1st: Remove driver side engine cover and pop off the cover on the driver side fuse box.

2nd: Pop up the front controller box, it's held by two tabs.

3nd: Tap into the light green wire w/ silver dots.

4th: Tap into the WHITE wire on the middle connector.

Another pic of both wires tapped

5th: Tuck everything back and pull your wires through the firewall and hook it up to a rocker switch and voila!

Have fun!

Disclaimer: I take NO responsibility for you damaging your vehicle. Modify at your own risk.
to figure out the wiring? Thanks.
Old 11-11-12, 09:35 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Will this setup work with the 2012 headlights...LEDs and fog light??
Old 11-11-12, 10:01 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Default fog light mod

Originally Posted by carlos3366
to figure out the wiring? Thanks.
can you share the schematics you used?
Old 11-12-12, 06:00 PM
JDMpeezy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

done. nice mod. reading into this mod there are so many ways of doing it, its just your preference!!

btw sorry for the iphone pics
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Foglight Modification-img_1011-1-.jpg   DIY: Foglight Modification-img_1012-1-.jpg   DIY: Foglight Modification-img_1013-1-.jpg  
Old 11-12-12, 09:32 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah your power source can be anything. I also used the FJ Cruiser switch and made a custom harness instead of buying it separate (it is expensive!).

Here's the schematic for the switch:

Name:  ToyotaFJ6PIN_switch.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  98.8 KB
Old 11-15-12, 04:12 PM
JDMpeezy
Rookie

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I had my DRLs disabled right after I rewired my fogs - fogs work perfectly.

No problems whatsoever.

BTW, here's my new switch...

Javier
i got the same switch with the part number you poetsed but the back seems a little to difficult for me i thoug it was going to be a plug and play but def not . . . the back loks like it could be hooked up to some kind of harness
any ideas??
b
Old 11-19-12, 11:38 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Many other countries (including Japan) do not have rules like we do about fogs only being on with low beams, Japanese-spec cars have independent fog lights usually.

I'm not going to do it on my car, so while I could give you instructions to do it, it's not as easy to explain what to do if you've never done it yourself, haha.

Just saying, get into the column, tap into the fog wire between the headlight switch and the wiper switch, and use that to trigger the fog lights.

Pin 3 and 4 on the headlight switch are the fog light switch, wire colours are black and light blue.

Jeff
Found these wires. Do I just tap one of them and run it to a power source?
Old 11-20-12, 10:57 AM
tziegler03
Driver School Candidate

Pretty Cool DIY!
Old 11-20-12, 04:10 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Default It's possible and very easy, I just need a good set

of schematics so I now which wires to tap/splice.
Originally Posted by brociouz
I think the holy grail would be if someone could wire it so that the stock foglight "switch" (the thing you rotate on the headlight stalk) would turn on the fogs no matter what setting you're on (low beams on, high beams on, auto, parking lights, etc.). Is this possible?
Old 04-13-13, 11:57 AM
dci4life
Pole Position

Ok so i just did this mod. I just noticed that even though the car is off the fog lights still work. I was hoping that if i have the car off and lock the car typically the headlights turn off when you DOUBLE lock it. So the question is...Is there a way where even though i have bypassed the switch that all the lights will shut off when I lock the car and walk away......

Am i also reading where we can wire DRL's to come on while we have our headlights on too??? Been reading through the previous 13 pages of this thread. Is there a DIY for the "DRL while headlight on mod"

Last edited by dci4life; 04-13-13 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added more
Old 04-14-13, 06:54 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

will this work for US spec?

also does the fogs turn on all the time or by the switch inside?
thank you
Old 04-14-13, 08:51 AM
dci4life
Pole Position

It should work with us spec. Cause that's what my car is. I just finished this mod. It works great. Only downfall I have found that if you have the switch on and walk away from your car thinking they will shut off. They will NOT. The white wire has constant power. So you can turn them on without having your car on at all. If anyone can get at me. I'm trying to find a diff wire to hook it to. Or figure out how to override to the oem rotary switch on the steering Collum.

Originally Posted by See5

thank you
Old 04-14-13, 10:24 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dci4life
Ok so i just did this mod. I just noticed that even though the car is off the fog lights still work. I was hoping that if i have the car off and lock the car typically the headlights turn off when you DOUBLE lock it. So the question is...Is there a way where even though i have bypassed the switch that all the lights will shut off when I lock the car and walk away......
I don't think so...

Originally Posted by See5

thank you
By a switch inside...

Old 04-16-13, 05:37 AM
dci4life
Pole Position

Am I reading right where people have figured it out that they can use the oem rotary switch? Would that way work so they turn off with the car.

Quick Reply: DIY: Foglight Modification