Print Wikipost

DIY: Foglight Modification

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 10:27 AM
StraySheep
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMpeezy
i got the same switch with the part number you poetsed but the back seems a little to difficult for me i thoug it was going to be a plug and play but def not . . . the back loks like it could be hooked up to some kind of harness
any ideas??
b
+1

Looking to do this mod and buy the same switch, so help on proper hook up for this switch will be much appreciated.

Refering to the OP's method, if I understand correctly, the switch is used to bypass all the controls and turn on the fog lights directly with a power source.

If this new fog switch is off, the fog lights will still work where low beam has to be on and then you can turn on/off the fog lights with the OEM rotory switch?
Old 05-05-13, 07:33 AM
BlackIS2g
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey i wan to do this mod on my 2008, but would'nt jumping the green wire to the white wire be a problem because when your factory foglight switch is on the wire will have power already and then adding the white power wire at the same time another 12v through the wire? i dont get it?
Old 05-05-13, 03:35 PM
BlackIS2g
Driver School Candidate

Nevermind i just tried this and the hid fogs came on however one of them was blinking and wouldnt warm up so i guess back to the drawing board
Old 06-09-13, 05:03 PM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Does anyone on here has succesfully done this mode on the ISF 2011/2012 model. i followed Phidelbee method n the others but nothing works. Like phidelbee mentioned on his post it worked at the beginning but after it didn't anymore.
Old 08-24-13, 08:38 PM
anthony206
Driver

Default Help please

Hey guy,

I finally decided to do the fog light mod for my 09 is250. But have come across with some promblem.. I follow the instruction, tap the light green with the silver dot and the white wire in the middle connector and run those two wires inside my car from the firewall.. Finally hook the wire to a rocker switch one goes on the negative and one goes to positive. But my fog light still not working ... What am I doing wrong ?
Old 11-02-13, 02:12 PM
kjnguy3nn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice write up. I am new here but this will be my first mod on my IS. +HID
Old 04-08-14, 06:18 PM
CLUB300
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure if this was already talked about here, but after having a oem switch from an fj cruiser wired up to the hid fogs with a relay I finally decided to do this mod. After tapping the white wire and the green with silver dots I noticed that this combination will give you constant power even with the ignition of. Of course if you have a switch you can turn them off, but I wanted power only when the ignition is on so after testing with a test light I tapped the light green with silver dots and the dark green with silver dots and voila it only has power with the ignition on also works with the parking lights, but I used a seep rate switch anyways.
Old 04-08-14, 06:28 PM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Please explain what each coloured wire is connected to. For example does the light green with silver dot wire come straight from the fog light?
Old 04-08-14, 07:28 PM
CLUB300
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure honestly I read the thread and saw the wires that were suggested and played around with it a little bit and got it wired how I wanted it.
Old 04-09-14, 12:01 AM
Pxnda
Rookie

Nice! Looks like I have a project for my next day off
Old 04-16-14, 11:37 AM
StraySheep
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

After reading all the various methods to do this and your explanation diagram, it looks like the key is to provide a power source to the fog light relay and then control power source by adding a on/off switch to turn the fog lights on/off.

If I understand correctly, the fog light relay wire is the Green wire with silver dots.
The other wire that connects to it can be any kind of power source.
Is it OK to pull a wire from one of the fuse in the driver side fuse box inside the car and use that as a power source ?

I am thinking of picking one with constant power & highest amp rating and use a 14 or 16 gauge wire. Then connect both wires to a on/off switch. This way, I only need to T-tap the green with silver dot wire through the firewall.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Originally Posted by iNfectious
Yeah your power source can be anything. I also used the FJ Cruiser switch and made a custom harness instead of buying it separate (it is expensive!).

Here's the schematic for the switch:

Old 04-17-14, 08:25 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using a switched 12V source from one of the empty slots in the driver side fuse box.

At first I did used a constant power source but forgot to turn it off one time and it drained my battery. Since then I have it on a switched source.
Old 04-18-14, 05:19 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Best way to hook it up on switched power source and have the ability to turn it off-on on demand using the fog sw on the stalk.

Has anybody done this?
Old 04-18-14, 07:31 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CLUB300
Not sure if this was already talked about here, but after having a oem switch from an fj cruiser wired up to the hid fogs with a relay I finally decided to do this mod. After tapping the white wire and the green with silver dots I noticed that this combination will give you constant power even with the ignition of. Of course if you have a switch you can turn them off, but I wanted power only when the ignition is on so after testing with a test light I tapped the light green with silver dots and the dark green with silver dots and voila it only has power with the ignition on also works with the parking lights, but I used a seep rate switch anyways.
I installed mine the same way except I have my relay signal wire to a power source that only sees power with the ignition on. Now i can turn the Fogs on and off once the car has ignition power.
Old 04-18-14, 10:43 AM
TomTom236
Driver School Candidate

Does this apply to 2011+ with the LED daytime running lights?

Quick Reply: DIY: Foglight Modification