Print Wikipost

DIY: Foglight Modification

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 10:58 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by quang
Brian, I got an idea... Next time, when we have the caravan, your can be the pace car in front so that we can reach our destination much faster
And then you can all watch me get arrested haha. The only time I use my strobes is coming out of my apartment's parking structure. Makes all the people speed around corners pay attention.
Old 09-20-10, 11:27 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
You must get soooo tempted sometimes... if someone cuts you off on the freeway or is driving really slow. I don't know if I'd be able to control myself.

Once again though, they look so sick on your car.
i have these in my car... and i've used them when CL guys are driving really slow in the caravan...
Old 09-26-10, 05:55 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by redline201
ok last question. if i have my dealer disable my drls, will my fogs syill work during the day?
I had my DRLs disabled right after I rewired my fogs - fogs work perfectly.

Originally Posted by diablo2184
so has there been issues with blowing fuses or burning out harnesses?
No problems whatsoever.

BTW, here's my new switch...

Javier
Old 09-26-10, 06:17 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

^ Why did you change switches?
Old 09-26-10, 07:49 PM
furryjet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Info about the foglight switches are at 1:40 of this video I shot. BTW, the part number for the fog switch I used is 84480-0E010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVf1h95_8rE

Javier
Pretty nice mods, especially the fly audio unit with front and back camera.

You said you swapped out the front turn signals for the stobe LED, does it mean the turn signal and strobe light share the same bulb? Must be hella bright at night if it does
Old 09-26-10, 08:35 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

^ Why did you change switches?
I found a switch that had the "fog light" logo on it instead of the generic "115V" label.
Originally Posted by furryjet
Pretty nice mods, especially the fly audio unit with front and back camera.

You said you swapped out the front turn signals for the stobe LED, does it mean the turn signal and strobe light share the same bulb? Must be hella bright at night if it does
No, it means I don't have front turn signal indicator in my headlamps. But that's what my mirror covers are for...

Javier
Old 09-29-10, 09:40 AM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd like to do this mod but i have a few questions~

when your fog light switch are on, the fog lights stay on regardless right? when you turn on high beam, when you shut off the car? or do the fogs turn off with ignition off too?

when you tap into the wires with the taps, do they taps cut the wire? the reason i'm asking is because i leased my car, and if i need to reverse the process to stock, can i just remove the taps? will the wire still be the same or will it be broken already?

i live in canada.. and apparently the dealership is refusing to turn my DRLs off as they claim it's illegal.. is there a wire i can tap so i can turn the DRLs off myself?

thanks!
Old 09-29-10, 04:06 PM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SilentWish
i'd like to do this mod but i have a few questions~

when your fog light switch are on, the fog lights stay on regardless right? when you turn on high beam, when you shut off the car? or do the fogs turn off with ignition off too?

when you tap into the wires with the taps, do they taps cut the wire? the reason i'm asking is because i leased my car, and if i need to reverse the process to stock, can i just remove the taps? will the wire still be the same or will it be broken already?

i live in canada.. and apparently the dealership is refusing to turn my DRLs off as they claim it's illegal.. is there a wire i can tap so i can turn the DRLs off myself?

thanks!
Fog light on/off is independent to engine on or off mode.. according to javier's video, he can turn on his fogs when his engine is off.. That's why he has a switch with a light to let him know that his fogs are on.

When you tap into a wire, the tap will make a puncture like hole in the wire but it will not cut the wire completely. It's like you taking a needle and stab it in the wire kind of deal...
Old 09-29-10, 04:10 PM
Akatsuki
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javyLSU
I had my DRLs disabled right after I rewired my fogs - fogs work perfectly.

No problems whatsoever.

BTW, here's my new switch...

Javier
Do you have the part number for this new switch Javier?

Any diy for your whelen strobe also?
Old 09-29-10, 06:42 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Akatsuki
Fog light on/off is independent to engine on or off mode.. according to javier's video, he can turn on his fogs when his engine is off.. That's why he has a switch with a light to let him know that his fogs are on.

When you tap into a wire, the tap will make a puncture like hole in the wire but it will not cut the wire completely. It's like you taking a needle and stab it in the wire kind of deal...
thank you so much for the info man!
i guess then tapping the wires can be reversible by just reversing the tap and no one will really see the hole afterwards?

i might tap the fogs lights somewhere else so i wont have to use a switch
dont want the fogs to be on after the car is off lol or else i might forget to turn the switch off sometime

maybe i'll tap the fogs with the parking lights then tap the parking lights into the DRL.. and use them both as DRLs
hmmm
Old 09-29-10, 10:22 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

^ You don't have to tap your parking lights into your DRLs because you can just use the parking light mode to control them independently. It's the first one you click to when cycling through headlight modes.
Old 09-30-10, 03:47 AM
SilentWish
Pole Position

^ You don't have to tap your parking lights into your DRLs because you can just use the parking light mode to control them independently. It's the first one you click to when cycling through headlight modes.
thanks bro! (just noticed bro can also be short form for brociouz)

the reason i wanted to tap my parking lights into my DRLs is cause i want my parking lights to turn on automatically so i don't have to switch the lights when my car is off

another thing is that the dealership won't turn off the DRL for me as it's "illegal" in canada so i'm wondering if there's a wire i can tap into the turn off the DRL but still have high beams?
Old 11-07-10, 07:38 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by Akatsuki
Do you have the part number for this new switch Javier?

Any diy for your whelen strobe also?
Part number for the new switch is 84160-04010. It's a Toyota part number - Lexus systems will not find this part.

There will be no DIYs for the strobe lights, sorry. WAAAAY too complicated.

Javier
Old 01-28-11, 05:16 PM
DreamerzCC
Pole Position

I am going to give this a try but I am going to try use a 20 amp fuse. One of the techs at my Lexus dealership has had it done in his for about a year with no problems.....will post as soon as I get it done.
Old 01-29-11, 09:17 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How easy/hard is it to feed the wires through the fire wall? I know the grommet is near your left foot on the drivers side, but in the engine bay it doesn't seem very ... reachable.

Quick Reply: DIY: Foglight Modification