IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

For those of us with factory sport pedals.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 05:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
No, you have the answer your dealer gave.
It's Yes, as I stated in my post that's the answer my dealer gave and what my dealer does. I understand that different dealers might do different things.

So I am the one of a few that actually found out what my local dealer will do to my car and my car is my primary concern.

Though it's nice that we have plenty of chatter and 1 guy in NY mentioning zip ties on his car when he took delivery. Yes, no doubt I will avoid the NY dealership.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-18-10 at 05:43 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-18-10, 05:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
+ Theres pictures of zip ties

Nice pictures with zipties and holes. What dealer does that to his unfortunate customer's car? It might be good to know, so that place can be avoided.
Old 02-18-10, 05:41 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These pedal and floor mat threads are getting a little dumb.
Old 02-18-10, 05:43 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 123 Likes on 48 Posts

^

IDK i found it in another thread. LOL i wouldnt let the stealer do this to my car.
Old 02-18-10, 07:24 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
The speculation ended for me at my local northern CA Lexus service department (I went there today) regarding IS250/IS350 cars:

1. No zip ties applied to any mats
2. No sawing off or modification of pedals, sport pedals or regular

28 posts later, we have a straight answer.
Your dealer knows squat. Per Lexus US Corporate the recall for the IS will involve newly redesigned all weather floormats and a gas pedal that is about 3/4" of an inch shorter on the bottom end. This is fact. It is not clear whether the normal, thin carpeted mats that hook onto the floor hooks will be reconfigured or not. Don't believe much (if anything) from your Lexus dealer unless it is very generic info, and even then they are often clueless. There is much more knowledge on this site.

Recalls are specific, they are not open to interpretation by a Lexus dealer. If the recall calls for different floor mats and a new pedal that is what you will get. He can't give you new floor mats and ignore the pedal part because he doesn't want to do it or doesn't think it is necessary. Of course you can always REFUSE to have the recall done, which is what I am planning to do.

Last edited by Evitzee; 02-18-10 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-18-10, 09:08 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It's Yes, as I stated in my post that's the answer my dealer gave and what my dealer does. I understand that different dealers might do different things.

So I am the one of a few that actually found out what my local dealer will do to my car and my car is my primary concern.
Then why did you keep posting here asking other people, if you were only concerned with your dealership?

By the way, your dealer (and all other dealers) were instructed to use zip ties on the floor mats originally.

Source:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/mart...-mats-zip-ties

Dealers are instructed to secure the floor mats to the driver's seat frame with zip ties. A label is then attached to the zip tie warning dealers and customers alike that the mat is now tied to vehicle, and not to stack other mats on top of the now semi-permanent mat.

The "fix" has been circulating out to dealers around the country since last Friday.

So it's incorrect to suggest the people who had it done were experiencing the actions of some crazy rogue dealerships... it was the official semi-permanent solution from Toyota/Lexus at the time, applied to cars coming in for service and new vehicles taken for delivery.

It's possible your dealership is ignoring this directive of course. Which is great in this case, but might raise concerns about what other official instructions they ignore.

If you'd care for another source of this as the official Lexus/Toyota action:

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6586487/...nce/index.html

Same fix, applied to a Tundra. That one includes a picture of the sticker toyota supplied to be applied to the zip tie.

I already know what my dealer will be doing to my car regarding the recall. Nothing. Because there's no actual problem with it.

Last edited by Kurtz; 02-18-10 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-18-10, 10:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I already know what my dealer will be doing to my car regarding the recall. Nothing. Because there's no actual problem with it.
At least 2 dealers are taking "no action required" route. Sorry to hear about the other dealers actions and I agree it's good to hear what action the others are taking.
Old 02-18-10, 10:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Per Lexus US Corporate the recall for the IS will involve newly redesigned all weather floormats and a gas pedal that is about 3/4" of an inch shorter on the bottom end. This is fact. Of course you can always REFUSE to have the recall done, which is what I am planning to do.
I certainly am interested in facts specific to the ISx50, for a change.

I might be inclined to believe you regarding Lexus US Corporate, if you could show us something as evidence. The refusal for a non-problem in a car with carpet mats is a given.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-10, 12:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the OP's original question, has anybody experienced (or is anybody aware of) gas pedals being sawed-off/modified on ISx50's?
Old 02-19-10, 08:16 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Back to the OP's original question, has anybody experienced (or is anybody aware of) gas pedals being sawed-off/modified on ISx50's?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...placement.html

Long thread that you posted in repeatedly, where the reshaping of the pedals is mentioned as the official short-term toyota solution to the problem.

Press release of that in this post:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5029233-post45.html

Initially, Toyota dealers will be instructed on how to reshape existing accelerator pedals. Later, replacement accelerator pedals will be available for installation on vehicles not yet remedied or, if the owner so chooses, even to replace the modified pedals.
It also mentions this would start early 2010 (possibly Jan) and begin with ES350, Camry, and Avalon owners and proceed on a rolling basis.

So they are planning to cut pedals, they just haven't gotten around to the 2ISes yet (though it's listed as a car they'll be doing it to in the press release)

You yourself responded to this news later in the thread...You specifically mention you will avoid going to the dealer during the "hack the pedal" phase and wait for the later availability of replacement pedals.

So I'm a bit puzzled why you keep acting like this is all rumors and you've no idea what toyota is really planning.

The thread even had a link to a story showing pictures of before/after cut pedals.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/18/c...medy-detailed/

(this was done at a dealership learning the procedure, since the actual action on customer cars wasn't going to begin till 2010 and this whole thing was announced in November)
Old 02-20-10, 11:00 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ Thanks for the helpful info and links culled from the internet.

Sorry you are puzzled because I don't view above as rumours. Short answer is that I'm asking if anybody on CL has experienced the IS pedal cutting on CL and obviously the answer is NO.

Fortunately my dealer in CA has not intiated "hack the pedals" on the IS models, but that is only one dealership's (non)actions.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-20-10 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-20-10, 12:07 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ Thanks for the helpful info and links culled from the internet.

Sorry you are puzzled because I don't view above as rumours. Short answer is that I'm asking if anybody on CL has experienced the IS pedal cutting on CL and obviously the answer is NO.

Fortunately my dealer in CA has not intiated "hack the pedals" on the IS models, but that is only one dealership's (non)actions.

The obvious answer is no because the explicit instructions from Toyota are to begin with ES, Avalon, and Camry, and they only began last month.

I dunno why you'd think a press release directly from Toyota would be a "rumor"

It's what they are actually doing, they just haven't gotten to ISes yet.

They are doing it already to the ESes (and Toyotas).

Here's a thread from a CL user who already had his pedal cut-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...007-es350.html

Several other owners than agree they had the same done to their ES, and one mentioned it was already done on his when he took initial delivery of it.

There's no "rumor" here, it's what they're officially doing, as per Lexus/Toyota direction.
Old 02-20-10, 02:08 PM
kl323
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's my pic of the ties and label...

Old 02-20-10, 02:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The obvious answer is no because the explicit instructions from Toyota are to begin with ES, Avalon, and Camry, and they only began last month.

I dunno why you'd think a press release directly from Toyota would be a "rumor"
I'll make it real brief just for you and repeat, I don't think it's a rumor. See post #41, 2nd sentence.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-20-10 at 03:09 PM.