IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Steering Damper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 11:03 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is so hyped up..... i have BCR coilover and rear sway bar now i installed the steering damper the handling change is very minimal..... the steering feels a bit tighter just a lil bit and thats it.

This item got more hyped up than it's actually functionality and oh did i mention Sewell rips people off on the shipping?
Old 09-02-11, 06:09 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by someboy
This is so hyped up..... i have BCR coilover and rear sway bar now i installed the steering damper the handling change is very minimal..... the steering feels a bit tighter just a lil bit and thats it.

This item got more hyped up than it's actually functionality and oh did i mention Sewell rips people off on the shipping?
I'll buy yours from you.
Old 09-02-11, 07:54 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Can't expect it to be amazing for $30... if you have ever shipped anything you'll understand its not a rip off. You have to combine it with somethin to get your money worth. Shipping from TX isn't cheap... unless your in TX LOL
Old 09-02-11, 11:11 PM
SRakaSSS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The steering dampener was a super easy install. Took roughly twenty minutes.

One tip though: Apply blue loc-tite to the two screws used for the dampener. With all the vibration happening in your steering wheel, not to mention, the constant rotation of it, you don't want those screws vibrating loose on you and causing havoc.

Impressions after use: I don't recommend this mod to anyone running the stock set up. The reason being is that the steering wheel is so heavy after installing the dampener that the wheel doesn't want to return to the "upright" position after making a turn. You have to use your muscle(s) to manually return it to the normal driving position. Although, one good thing about it is that it makes long road trips seem much more comfortable.
Old 09-03-11, 08:27 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

i installed mine last night
Old 09-03-11, 08:52 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iRock
i installed mine last night
What r your impressions?
Old 09-03-11, 11:40 AM
UtoyZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i installed mine not too long ago together with my new steering wheel
the difference might be minimal but it's ok coz i didn't really expect much. i love the feel more though, maybe mainly because of the new steering wheel LoL.
btw the key on buying from sewell is doing multiple purchases to save on shipping charges. i have absolutely no complain on sewell, heck half of my mods are from them SEWELL FTW!
Old 09-03-11, 01:00 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CCJ22
What r your impressions?
havent went anywhere yet LOL i dont expect much though.... i was just bored so i bought something
Old 09-04-11, 12:59 AM
LSIII
Rookie

Just installed mine, Lexus needs to install this on all models. I definitely noticed an improvement in the steering stability.
Old 09-04-11, 02:01 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CCJ22
I'll buy yours from you.
Sorry i have already returned all the torx screw drivers i bought and not going to bother taking it out again. Because initially i just bought the regular torx screw driver but because i had 2 overly tighten screws so they are not strong enough to turn it, i had 3 guys tried to help me turn the screws and all gave up . I end up having to go back to home depot and get the racquet style and buying heads for it ( they are not cheap). So finally got it installed and i can say yes there is a difference but its very minimum, nothing "WoW" like when i got my coils installed and what a difference.

Last edited by someboy; 09-04-11 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-07-11, 06:49 PM
DaXxJaPxX
Driver

seems like anyone lowered/on low series tires will benefit from this. just ordered mine, it'd be nice to cut some of the highway vibration i get around 75+mph
Old 09-07-11, 06:57 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iRock
Can't expect it to be amazing for $30... if you have ever shipped anything you'll understand its not a rip off. You have to combine it with somethin to get your money worth. Shipping from TX isn't cheap... unless your in TX LOL
It is called USPS first class..

OR.. USPS flat rate box..

They tried to charge me $13 for shipping on a touch up paint. Ended up just buying it from my local dealer for $10..
Old 09-07-11, 07:41 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Sorry i have already returned all the torx screw drivers i bought and not going to bother taking it out again. Because initially i just bought the regular torx screw driver but because i had 2 overly tighten screws so they are not strong enough to turn it, i had 3 guys tried to help me turn the screws and all gave up . I end up having to go back to home depot and get the racquet style and buying heads for it ( they are not cheap). So finally got it installed and i can say yes there is a difference but its very minimum, nothing "WoW" like when i got my coils installed and what a difference.
Sucks to be me
If anyone wants to sell theirs PM me please.
Originally Posted by smokyis350
It is called USPS first class..

OR.. USPS flat rate box..

They tried to charge me $13 for shipping on a touch up paint. Ended up just buying it from my local dealer for $10..
It's called crap. IMO if they'd come down on the price I'd buy it rather then looking for a used one. I'd rather they slap 3 or 4 stamps on it and I get it in 2 weeks rather then this $13 shananigans for such a small item.
Old 09-07-11, 08:04 PM
kamileon88
Rookie

It works. installed it and made huge difference in the road vibration( or road noise felt via steering wheel)
Old 09-22-11, 04:40 PM
Fsport350
Driver

You would think they would have the steering damper installed at least on the F-sport model:

Just installed yesterday:

From the get go, I did feel a little heaviness / tightness to it and nothing really drastic. But once I was on the highway, it’s a completely different story. I commute to DC (approx. a 50 min drive) and the steering wheel felt more solid / planted at highway speeds . Highway 95 has some really bad roads and imo this mod helped a lot with vibrations / 'twitchiness' and also with driving fatigue.

I would recommend for any commuter

Quick Reply: Steering Damper?