IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Man am I mad but shaken

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-10, 06:07 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Man am I mad but shaken

I was having a great day yesterday. I was driving my car on my way home from the dealership after having had service. In fact, I believe that they finally tracked down and fixed the rattles in my IS 350. It was sunny and dry and a gorgeous day. I was very very close to home already but not quite there. I was approaching an intersection with a green light. There was someone sitting there waiting to make a left turn in front of me. I cover my brake as is always my habit. I was only going 40 km/hr. As I enter the intersection, she starts to turn into my path. I slam on my brakes and honk my horn, but it is too late. I hit her car on the passenger side at the front wheel. Luckily for her and me I was covering my brakes. I fully brake with all my might, but it is too late of course because she is in front of me. I guess the impact wasn't too much as the airbags didn't deploy or else I may have had some facial injuries.

I get out of my car, very shaken and go to check on her. She is OK. I ask her if she had any head injuries or if she thinks she hit her head. She says no, but is visibly shaken. I help her open her door as it is a bit jammed. She is OK without injuries. I then call 911. It took forever for the police to arrive or so it seemed. No witnesses hung around for me to get their information. It didn't run to get their names first because I thought I needed to make sure the other driver was OK first. She wasn't injured so that is good news and I wasn't either.

I lend her my phone to call her son. When he arrives I hear him say to her, don't worry, this is what you need to say....then they switch to another language. I started to worry when I heard that. Fortunately, when the police do read our statements, and looked at the accident scene, he saw I had the right of way and wasn't at fault. I was worried that she might make up a story to make it appear that I was at fault with the help of her son, if they did, it didn't work.

Sorry for the rambling, I'm really just shaken now. I keep thinking that I could have been on my scooter and her error could have seriously injured or killed me. I am thankful that I was in my car and not on my scooter. Now I have a bit of a fear of driving again. I was very shaky driving home in the rental I now have.

My poor car though, the front end is a mess, there is a "tear" in the sheet metal of the hood. I just couldn't look at the damage, it was just too painful. I took some photos with my iPhone but can't bear to look at them.

It just sucks that someone so stupid can have a license to drive and do such a thing. I know I should be glad that no one was hurt, and I am, but my poor IS 350, it was in perfect condition especially now with the rattles gone. It just won't be the same again. As well, I guess it will adversely affect the resale value when it is time to trade it in. At least the woman was charged and I confirmed with the police that his report will state that I was not at fault.
Old 02-20-10, 06:19 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Glad your OK
Old 02-20-10, 06:30 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

glad you are ok bud. people make mistakes and accidents happen. sounds like the damage is minimal, so your car should be fine mechanically, but sadly, it will never be the same. best of luck getting her repaired
Old 02-20-10, 07:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Glad to read you came out safe... sounds hopefully like you are covered with the report as well.
Old 02-20-10, 07:56 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Stuff happens, a bent car isn't much in the fabric of your life. Shake it off, get it fixed, and move on. Don't dwell on it, it isn't going to make the situation any different.
Old 02-20-10, 08:07 AM
kbkura
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you're okay... this kind of stuff really sucks. And at least the police can't find it as your fault.

I had a similar situation, but rather than turning into me, an 82-y/o woman (who I still believe might have been inebriated) side-swiped me. Her 56-y/o daughter (who admitted to being drunk) was in the car with her, and both of them were trying to convince me not to call the cops. After they weren't able to provide any insurance, though, I called the cops and reported everything that happened. However, once the cops arrived both the ladies proceeded to lie about everything that happened and now the police report says they weren't able to determine whose fault it was (I think mostly because I'm 22-y/o). My insurance company believes me, but essentially I'm not being reimbursed for my $1000 deductible. I, like you, didn't run out to find witnesses because I wanted to make sure they were OK first. I never expected to be jipped by two nice-looking old ladies... lesson learned, I guess
Old 02-20-10, 08:18 AM
AtlantaGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
I was having a great day yesterday. I was driving my car on my way home from the dealership after having had service. In fact, I believe that they finally tracked down and fixed the rattles in my IS 350. It was sunny and dry and a gorgeous day. I was very very close to home already but not quite there. I was approaching an intersection with a green light. There was someone sitting there waiting to make a left turn in front of me. I cover my brake as is always my habit. I was only going 40 km/hr. As I enter the intersection, she starts to turn into my path. I slam on my brakes and honk my horn, but it is too late. I hit her car on the passenger side at the front wheel. Luckily for her and me I was covering my brakes. I fully brake with all my might, but it is too late of course because she is in front of me. I guess the impact wasn't too much as the airbags didn't deploy or else I may have had some facial injuries.

I get out of my car, very shaken and go to check on her. She is OK. I ask her if she had any head injuries or if she thinks she hit her head. She says no, but is visibly shaken. I help her open her door as it is a bit jammed. She is OK without injuries. I then call 911. It took forever for the police to arrive or so it seemed. No witnesses hung around for me to get their information. It didn't run to get their names first because I thought I needed to make sure the other driver was OK first. She wasn't injured so that is good news and I wasn't either.

I lend her my phone to call her son. When he arrives I hear him say to her, don't worry, this is what you need to say....then they switch to another language. I started to worry when I heard that. Fortunately, when the police do read our statements, and looked at the accident scene, he saw I had the right of way and wasn't at fault. I was worried that she might make up a story to make it appear that I was at fault with the help of her son, if they did, it didn't work.

Sorry for the rambling, I'm really just shaken now. I keep thinking that I could have been on my scooter and her error could have seriously injured or killed me. I am thankful that I was in my car and not on my scooter. Now I have a bit of a fear of driving again. I was very shaky driving home in the rental I now have.

My poor car though, the front end is a mess, there is a "tear" in the sheet metal of the hood. I just couldn't look at the damage, it was just too painful. I took some photos with my iPhone but can't bear to look at them.

It just sucks that someone so stupid can have a license to drive and do such a thing. I know I should be glad that no one was hurt, and I am, but my poor IS 350, it was in perfect condition especially now with the rattles gone. It just won't be the same again. As well, I guess it will adversely affect the resale value when it is time to trade it in. At least the woman was charged and I confirmed with the police that his report will state that I was not at fault.

Curious as to why you had to help her open her door since it was jammed yet you hit her on her passenger side door?
Old 02-20-10, 08:47 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

wow! most importantly im glad to hear that you and the woman are both safe. im hoping the son wasnt trying to give her any bad advice as to possibly sway the story in her advantage. ive always noticed that some drivers on left turns tend to drive a little too close as im making a turn as well. it makes it difficult with some smaller streets though.

i too was shaken up after my first accident. a real eye opener- thats for sure. but the best thing to do (after getting the car fixed) is to maybe just drive around comfortable areas with the car again. a couple of laps around your neighborhood, doing errands, and the such were how i got over it. it didnt make me think about possibly getting into another accident, but rather it made me focus on driving again and getting things done. hopefully the repair cost wont be so much. best of luck man!
Old 02-20-10, 08:54 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep people do that on a daily basis to me... lucky she had insurance... the person I ran into that did that exact same thing to me didn't...
Old 02-20-10, 01:19 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Her Yaris took the impact on the passenger front wheel area mostly. I assume that the unibody is bent from the impact causing a kink in the mechanism of her driver's front door. There was only impact on the passenger's side. It wasn't hard to open, just a bit of an extra effort and it opened.
Old 02-20-10, 01:45 PM
HERBos
Lead Lap

forget the car good thing u ok cuz that lady does not deserve to drive
Old 02-20-10, 02:30 PM
trixxx519
Lexus Test Driver

her son probably told her to lie, but man u're lucky bcuz she was at fault
Old 02-20-10, 03:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry to hear about the accident, glad no injuries.
Old 02-20-10, 03:57 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

There are plenty of stupid drivers out there. Luckily there we no physical injuries. The shakiness will pass. It's like riding a bike. You fall off, are a bit shakey, but need to get back on

Can we talk about the rattles being fixed. What dealer did you get it done at? My car rattles and drives me crazy. Not that I want but I'm just about at the point of getting rid of it. I've had the dealer try like five times but the rattles persist (Dash noise kit TSB, replaced vents, etc.)

Thanks

Last edited by totalstu; 02-20-10 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 03:59 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I'd be shaken up too. glad everyone was alrite

Quick Reply: Man am I mad but shaken