IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Xenon AFS headlights or Halogen??!!??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10 | 12:18 PM
ssjnimma
Driver School Candidate

^ ok... ya maybe I was thrown off because I have the wood grain interior, guess I just figured I had the luxury package hahahaa...
Old 02-21-10 | 12:31 PM
ssjnimma
Driver School Candidate

just read through the DIY HID Kit install and found that most people have bought the kit from kbcarstuff.com, so I went ahead and bought mine!! =)

Thanks everyone for your opinions!!
Old 02-21-10 | 12:55 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

the wood grain interior is from various packages... so yeah....
Old 02-21-10 | 01:00 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

2006 didnt come with HID as a "standard" option, my buddy had purchased a brand new 06 back then ...but when i bought my 07 they were standard in the purchase of the vehilce...meaning you didnt have to buy the package to get HID like you did in the 06, for 07 and beyond you could get the HID without the package...which is what majority of stealerships were doing, so it was still a addon but it was already included...
Old 02-21-10 | 08:56 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by axis77
2006 didnt come with HID as a "standard" option, my buddy had purchased a brand new 06 back then ...but when i bought my 07 they were standard in the purchase of the vehilce...meaning you didnt have to buy the package to get HID like you did in the 06, for 07 and beyond you could get the HID without the package...which is what majority of stealerships were doing, so it was still a addon but it was already included...
To clarify what I think you're trying to explain-

In 2006 HIDs were only available as part of the Sport or Luxury packages. That's it.

From 07+ they were still available that way, but also available as a stand-alone option... and many cars allocated to dealers came optioned this way.

HIDs have never been a standard feature on the 2IS though.
Old 03-18-10 | 12:05 PM
zohakhan
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys, Im a newbie looking to purchase by my first lexus, Its a 2010 is250. Im gratefull for all the info on this thread but still kind of confused. I know I have the premium package because it has the lighted entry, wood trim, power rear sun shade, side mirrors tilt down when in reverse and i Have memory seat options on both front doors. I checked the multi-selector that < on/off > switch by the steering wheel and I did not come across the option for AFS on/off, So how do i know if i have it or not?? Any help would be appreciated....
Old 03-18-10 | 12:10 PM
zohakhan
Driver School Candidate

p.s. it also has the rain sensing wipers and the headlamp washers.
Old 03-18-10 | 01:32 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by zohakhan
Hi guys, Im a newbie looking to purchase by my first lexus, Its a 2010 is250. Im gratefull for all the info on this thread but still kind of confused. I know I have the premium package because it has the lighted entry, wood trim, power rear sun shade, side mirrors tilt down when in reverse and i Have memory seat options on both front doors. I checked the multi-selector that < on/off > switch by the steering wheel and I did not come across the option for AFS on/off, So how do i know if i have it or not?? Any help would be appreciated....

If it has memory seats and woodgrain then it's not the premium package, it's the luxury package.

Which comes with HIDs.

It should have an AFS option in the selector though, unless they've change the operation of that feature on 2010 models.
Old 03-18-10 | 03:34 PM
silentbob
Driver

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Basically all CA cars get HID w/ AFS....

I have yet to see ANY newer lexus in CA without it...
Not true, my 09 is halogen, and the dealership had lots of IS's without HID
Old 03-18-10 | 05:42 PM
9relude8
Pole Position

if your headlights are bright purple to blue for a couple of seconds after turning on then they are HID! :-) I mean can't you tell the diff between halogens and HID's?
Old 03-18-10 | 09:16 PM
zohakhan
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, Never had them before or got to see them personally so no idea.. Hmm so i have the luxury package without HID's thats wierd(Im guessing this on the fact i dont have the AFS on/off option). But ill check the lights and report back later.
Old 03-19-10 | 05:15 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, Never had them before or got to see them personally so no idea.. Hmm so i have the luxury package without HID's thats wierd(Im guessing this on the fact i dont have the AFS on/off option). But ill check the lights and report back later.
Lux package absolutely has factory HIDs. (in the US anyway).

The weird part is not having an AFS on/off option, which every factory HID car should have since you can't get HIDs without AFS.... my only guess was they might have moved the AFS on/off option somewhere else besides the multi-selector for 2010 models but that'd be kinda weird.
Old 03-19-10 | 05:25 AM
AtlantaGuy
Rookie

Do you have the 2010 IS yet or looking to get one?

The sticker would clearly state whether or not it has AFS
Old 03-19-10 | 06:09 AM
zohakhan
Driver School Candidate

Im going to purchase one. Its used about 4 months old 2010 model, The dealership im getting it from is waiting on the title from the previous lien holder since the previous owner traded it in for merc. There was no sticker on it with the options so thats why i am not sure about the lights. The waiting is driving me insane i cant wait to get my IS...

Yeah i checked the selector and i didnt see the AFS option i was looking online for the 2010 manual to see if they moved the switch but no luck finding it and i was hoping somone here could shed some light on this forum.
Old 03-19-10 | 07:12 AM
kslater
Driver

I can tell Hids just by driving the car at night. Major diff, I dont know how people drive with halogens after driving a car with Hids. zohakhan The switch is on the Left side of the steering on the panel where the trunk buttons are. Cycle through with the left and right arrow buttons.

Quick Reply: Xenon AFS headlights or Halogen??!!??