IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

07 IS250AWD 34k engine stumbling, won't go over 40mph. Second time this has occured.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-10, 09:39 AM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer called at the end of the day yesterday. He said no codes were stored & they could not replicate the problem. I doubt I will keep this car one day past the expiration of the extended warranty.
Old 08-04-10, 05:22 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

This just happened to me for the first time this morning. I was on the on-ramp getting onto the highway. I was accelerating (not floored but I did acccelerate fast for a IS250 ) and around 5k rpm it went into the 'limp mode'. Just like OP and other mentioned, the check engine light was blinking and I could not go past 40mph. I pulled over shut the car off, and when I turned it back on, everything seemed fine. I drove the rest of the way to work varying the rpms and speed and had no issues.
However, I am concerned about it, I have 83k miles on the car which are mostly highway miles and previous to this have had no other issues but the somewhat common occasional rattle sound on startup. Any one have an update or similar thing happen to them? Any suggestions? I am out of warranty now, should I be looking into some type of extended warranty?
Old 08-28-10, 06:41 PM
penone
Driver

Hey bounceny. Same exact thing happened to me today. I did floor it a bit to get around another car and then check engine stated blinking and check vsc came on. Couldner 't go over 60 mph, got off at next exit (which happened to be a service area), shut off. wait ed a minute and all back to normal. Am calling dealer on Monday and see what they say. FYI - have a bit over 48K - 2006 IS250awd. I'll post outcome when they are done.
Old 08-31-10, 01:28 PM
penone
Driver

Just got off the phone with the dealer and he told me that my issue was caused by a misfire code in cylinder 3. He said that all looked clear now and that it may have been caused my "water in the coil". Have no idea what to say to that. Any thoughts?
Old 08-31-10, 01:58 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm...don't know what any of that means, maybe someone with some knowledge can chime in.
Old 08-31-10, 02:43 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

I also get something similar. Occasionally, at a stop, the car begins shaking and RPM's fall really low. It feels like the car is about to turn off. The problem goes away after I press the accelerator and drive off. The check engine light has never turned on. This has happened about 4-6 times since I've owned the car. I've had the car for 4 years already, but this didn't start until after the 3 1/2 year mark.

My car is now at 66k miles and I have a service scheduled this Saturday for an oil change. Should I mention something regarding this? The powertrain warranty runs out at 70k on this car so that means this is probably the last service i'm gonna get before I hit that mark. I don't want to be stuck with a bill to fix this?
Old 08-31-10, 02:56 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by penone
Just got off the phone with the dealer and he told me that my issue was caused by a misfire code in cylinder 3. He said that all looked clear now and that it may have been caused my "water in the coil". Have no idea what to say to that. Any thoughts?
Sounds like typical symptoms for carbon build up. I had a Cylinder Misfire on multiple cylinders and it was caused by carbon build up, my car too went into safe mode and pissed me off in traffic.
Old 09-01-10, 04:38 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexudv
I also get something similar. Occasionally, at a stop, the car begins shaking and RPM's fall really low. It feels like the car is about to turn off. The problem goes away after I press the accelerator and drive off. The check engine light has never turned on. This has happened about 4-6 times since I've owned the car. I've had the car for 4 years already, but this didn't start until after the 3 1/2 year mark.

My car is now at 66k miles and I have a service scheduled this Saturday for an oil change. Should I mention something regarding this? The powertrain warranty runs out at 70k on this car so that means this is probably the last service i'm gonna get before I hit that mark. I don't want to be stuck with a bill to fix this?

yes mention it as there is service bulletin for this and it's caused by carbon build-up. i had mine done and it hasn't happened since, but it's only a temporary fix and will keep happening when it builds up again.
Old 09-01-10, 06:43 PM
ltran
Rookie

mine happened first time two years ago i have an 07 250 too. and then again last week im at 60k and then again the next day. i'm pretty grateful that i bought extended too.
Old 09-01-10, 07:02 PM
penone
Driver

Hey Itran. So what were you doing when it occurred? And what did the dealer say?
Old 09-04-10, 10:17 AM
lexudv
Pole Position

Originally Posted by is250gurl
yes mention it as there is service bulletin for this and it's caused by carbon build-up. i had mine done and it hasn't happened since, but it's only a temporary fix and will keep happening when it builds up again.
Where can I get a copy of this Service Bulletin? I searched, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Dealer wants to charge $159 for the cleanup even though the service advisor admitted that it's a known common issue!
Old 09-07-10, 05:42 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

here it is and i would get on them about being lazy and not looking it up themselves! lexus needs to step it up asap!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 09-07-10, 06:16 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fix actually doesn't look so bad if youre handy with cars. You just pull the spark plugs and let the cleaner sit (with some cranking of the engine), then reinstall. Is this true? Does the cleaner drain into the oil pan?
Old 09-07-10, 01:05 PM
NWIS250AWD
Rookie

Well after 54k with the issues starting to resurface and lexus not stepping up to perform the valve replacement which is the fix instead of the treatment which will just be a temp fix, I sold the IS. Next time will be the IS350. Only wish they made a 6sp manual.
Old 09-07-10, 01:10 PM
NWIS250AWD
Rookie

Originally Posted by penone

More than likely it's due to carbon build up that will keep occuring untill they do the temp fix (chemical solution) or the better fix (replace the valves "which most dealers will not do").

Quick Reply: 07 IS250AWD 34k engine stumbling, won't go over 40mph. Second time this has occured.