Philips Ultinon D4s installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 03:28 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mv350
nice, but thats alotta cash for bulbs
Yeah but the output of these bulbs is unparalleled. They seem brighter than my Philips Xeneco OEM bulbs. Totally put the Garax to shame. This is the only way to go to 6000K in my opinion. The alternatives are less expensive but compromise visibility. It's either stock or this.
Old 04-19-10, 03:41 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

there pricey yeah. well worth the money? hell yeah since it philips it OEM quality bulbs that will last.
Old 04-20-10, 12:20 AM
ernestfyu
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wish i could see these in person. i bet these will outshine and outlast garax any day =)
Old 04-26-10, 12:37 AM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow they look real nice! I thought the stock 4300k Philips were already nice and bright! Unfortunately, after my front end accident I had to replace my entire front including the headlight housings. The body shop I went to said they bought the headlights "new from Lexus" but the quality of the bulbs were significantly different. I assume they don't come with the original bulbs (the one the car comes with brand new) but instead some cheaper ones.
Old 01-16-11, 06:22 AM
9relude8
Pole Position

I finally got my Ultinons from JZinternational too!!! They are brighter than my garax but mine does not have any hint of blue in them. From your pictures yours seem light blueish white, do they look like that in real life or is it just the picture?
Old 01-16-11, 07:04 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 9relude8
I finally got my Ultinons from JZinternational too!!! They are brighter than my garax but mine does not have any hint of blue in them. From your pictures yours seem light blueish white, do they look like that in real life or is it just the picture?
I think it is the photo. The camera captures the blue, but the way they make it brighter must be to have more white light. It looks like flash white to me, which is also what they call it.

Either way, it looks good and it is provides great visibility. Prefer to Garax.

Pretty expensive buying from JZS, SHould have bought from cargym.
Old 01-16-11, 08:37 AM
9relude8
Pole Position

Beware of caregym!!! Went to cargym first but they tried to scam me... sent me the OEM Xenoco bulbs in a ultinon box. good thing ebay was good enough to reimburse my money. The bulbs I got from JZS are definitely legit bulbs!!!
Old 01-16-11, 09:07 AM
pfdaxe
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a Acura TL projector retro in my 4Runner and installed a set of Philips PL50 "true" 50 watt HID bulbs with 50 watt ballast. The bulbs state non automotive use and the application list it for aircraft landing & taxi. The color temp is a bit lower than OEM at 3900k, but the lumens are 5300. They have a few notches on the base so they fit many applications. I also run OEM 35 watt HIDs in the factory fogs. Talk about daylight... Just thought I'd share

Here is Philips OEM 35 watt:

Here is Philips 50 Watt:

Old 01-16-11, 11:19 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Just in the picture you see the blue hue same as factory. But 2 yrs still going strong on these bulbs.
Old 01-16-11, 12:55 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 9relude8
Beware of caregym!!! Went to cargym first but they tried to scam me... sent me the OEM Xenoco bulbs in a ultinon box. good thing ebay was good enough to reimburse my money. The bulbs I got from JZS are definitely legit bulbs!!!
Ah good to know. Yeah JZS is very reliable. I got my ultinons from them too.
Old 01-19-11, 02:52 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

looks amazing maybe i have to get me a set of these...just bought the garax 8000k and there kinda dark for me
Old 01-20-11, 11:28 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by my1s250
looks amazing maybe i have to get me a set of these...just bought the garax 8000k and there kinda dark for me
I have to agree. I have Garax 8K myself and had them since September. Seems to look good during pitch black, but when there street lamps and raining, it is difficult to see the light.

If Ultinon do not have this problem with street lamps/raining, then I will get a set of these.
Old 01-20-11, 12:02 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sango
I have to agree. I have Garax 8K myself and had them since September. Seems to look good during pitch black, but when there street lamps and raining, it is difficult to see the light.

If Ultinon do not have this problem with street lamps/raining, then I will get a set of these.
With the Ultinon, the light output is good under street lighting, but during rain you can't see the light as much as with the OEM bulbs. It's still good enough in the rain, especially with my HID fogs.

This said the combination of Ultinon and 6000k HID fogs is much better for visibility than the stock lighting. My passengers are generally impressed with my light output and I live in a city center with lots of street lighting.

If you worry a lot about visibility in rain or fog, you are best going back to stock setup with Philips Xeneco 4300k or even trying Ultinon 5000K.
Old 01-20-11, 12:48 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
With the Ultinon, the light output is good under street lighting, but during rain you can't see the light as much as with the OEM bulbs. It's still good enough in the rain, especially with my HID fogs.

This said the combination of Ultinon and 6000k HID fogs is much better for visibility than the stock lighting. My passengers are generally impressed with my light output and I live in a city center with lots of street lighting.

If you worry a lot about visibility in rain or fog, you are best going back to stock setup with Philips Xeneco 4300k or even trying Ultinon 5000K.
Thanks for the advice!

With the Garax I am using, it just looked like they were so dim and on occasion in the rain conditions, had me wondering... are these working? Since you say that the Ultion is still good in the rain, that seems to be a + which I am looking for. The initial reason why I changed out the stock is because the stocks on them were quite yellowish. After the switch to Garax, I was surprised that my dad’s 2003 GS300 with stock light HIDS shined on the road much better than my IS and the beam was scattered wider and further down the road so I could see more.

I am hoping the Ultinon (either 5k or 6k) would be able to meet that expectation and hopefully out light my father’s GS!

Last edited by Sango; 01-20-11 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-20-11, 02:03 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sango
Thanks for the advice!

With the Garax I am using, it just looked like they were so dim and on occasion in the rain conditions, had me wondering... are these working? Since you say that the Ultion is still good in the rain, that seems to be a + which I am looking for. The initial reason why I changed out the stock is because the stocks on them were quite yellowish. After the switch to Garax, I was surprised that my dad’s 2003 GS300 with stock light HIDS shined on the road much better than my IS and the beam was scattered wider and further down the road so I could see more.

I am hoping the Ultinon (either 5k or 6k) would be able to meet that expectation and hopefully out light my father’s GS!
Just to be clear, I only recommend going 6k if you also have HID fogs. If you don't have HID fogs, I would stick with with 4300k or 5000K.

Quick Reply: Philips Ultinon D4s installed