IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What is 'flush'?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 05:13 AM
Maxx250awd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say you're flush. sexier than I anyhow.
Old 02-25-10, 10:01 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So if you have no wheel gap, zero camber (perpendicular to the road), but your wheels and tires are on the same vertical plane as your fenders (no poke), is that considered flush?
Old 02-25-10, 10:31 AM
fknISC808
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ yes, although it is all about what kind of look you are going for. Calvin them are on the AGGRESSIVE side, which is what the consensus likes.
Old 02-25-10, 11:30 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brociouz
So if you have no wheel gap, zero camber (perpendicular to the road), but your wheels and tires are on the same vertical plane as your fenders (no poke), is that considered flush?
yes but when you lower your car to get no wheel gap you end up with some negative camber, so as long as the top of the wheel lines up with the fender, its flush
Old 02-25-10, 11:33 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xuningshen
yes but when you lower your car to get no wheel gap you end up with some negative camber, so as long as the top of the wheel lines up with the fender, its flush
Why do you end up with negative camber? I thought you had to buy a camber kit or something in order to have camber.
Old 02-25-10, 11:35 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

nope, if you don't adjust anything on any car,(well on our cars you can't adjust camber unless you get a camber kit) you naturally get negative camber by lowering your car, since the lower control arm is at a different angle

on lexus, they have a natural camber deal to them which i think is cool. i think most lexus' don't have any camber adjustment at all
Old 02-25-10, 11:37 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^true which is a bummer. yes i love the look of camber. but i hate looking at my wallet when you have to buy new tires every 6months to a year

btw OP im loving your over all setup!
Old 02-25-10, 11:38 AM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

I see. So no matter how you lower your car (springs, coils, or air) you AUTOMATICALLY get negative camber?
Old 02-25-10, 11:43 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes unless you get a camber kit.
when you lower a car you get negative camber, where the top of the wheel leans towards the car. that is because you are essentially lifting the a-arms up.

when you lift a truck you get positve camber, where the top of the wheel leans away from the car. that is because you are pushing the a-arms down.
Old 02-25-10, 11:59 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

think of it this way, stick one of your arms straight out(perpendicular to your body) elbow locked. now just move it up and down, shoulder being the pivot point(kinda as if you where trying to flap your arms and fly lollll) if you where to have a perpendicular line at your hand, going up and down, you will notice the change in angle/camber as your move your arm up and down. your arm, in essense being the lower control arm.

so when you lower your car the arm sits more angled up, thus getting negative camber.

also if you watch cars next to you drive and when they hit a bump, dip or something, you will notice the wheels camber in and out as the suspension travels. its easier to see on cars with loose suspension.

wow maybe i totally butchered that analogy/explaination lol.... but i tried.... i don't have any pictures to show with it.

Last edited by xuningshen; 02-25-10 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-25-10, 12:03 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO... Cars with huge camber = wheel looks broken

wheels should have as close to zero camer as possible!! (I'm probably in the minority on this one lol)
Old 02-25-10, 12:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
IMO... Cars with huge camber = wheel looks broken

wheels should have as close to zero camer as possible!! (I'm probably in the minority on this one lol)
Sounds good to me, assuming we want to actually drive our car.
Old 02-25-10, 12:11 PM
brociouz
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, makes total sense. I agree with GiantsFan - I like the zero camber look. Do most people who lower on coils get a camber kit to neutralize the negative camber? Or is the change so minor that it doesn't matter much?
Old 02-25-10, 12:14 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you guys know that having bad toe wears your tires out faster than camber. That's why you should always get an alignment to keep everything in spec.
Old 02-25-10, 12:19 PM
Brewdude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xuningshen
think of it this way, stick one of your arms straight out(perpendicular to your body) elbow locked. now just move it up and down, shoulder being the pivot point(kinda as if you where trying to flap your arms and fly lollll) if you where to have a perpendicular line at your hand, going up and down, you will notice the change in angle/camber as your move your arm up and down. your arm, in essense being the lower control arm.

so when you lower your car the arm sits more angled up, thus getting negative camber.

also if you watch cars next to you drive and when they hit a bump, dip or something, you will notice the wheels camber in and out as the suspension travels. its easier to see on cars with loose suspension.

wow maybe i totally butchered that analogy/explaination lol.... but i tried.... i don't have any pictures to show with it.

Maybe you can post a video demonstration on youtube? LOL!!!

Quick Reply: What is 'flush'?