IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-10, 03:56 PM
kevetard
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ill bring it up at my 5k oil change and see what they say
Old 06-09-10, 04:39 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Lexus has a serious problem! If they don't effectively fix this quickly this could bite them in the a$$. Who would buy this car knowing of this problem. I'm a Toyota/Lexus fan but I would not. This is sad to see Toyota having all these SERIOUS problems.

LEXUS, if you’re out there, you better get your a$$ in gear and fix this, PRONTO!
Hint – Bite the bullet, retrofit the IS350's fuel delivery system.

Koz
Old 06-09-10, 04:52 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you grossly underestimate what it'd take/cost to "retrofit the IS350's fuel delivery system" to every 250 every built.
Old 06-09-10, 06:12 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

I took my car to the dealer. They said they could not replicate the problem so they couldn't do the top end cleaning. This was my first AND LAST Lexus. Too many problems/bugs/recalls on this car. Way too many.
Old 06-09-10, 08:35 PM
alan003
Lead Lap

i really hope toyota/lexus comes out with a REAL solution in a year or two...
Old 06-10-10, 04:42 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I think you grossly underestimate what it'd take/cost to "retrofit the IS350's fuel delivery system" to every 250 every built.
I know exactly what it would take to retrofit the system, that's why I said "Bite the bullet". I also know that they will not do this. They would not even retrofit a simple throttle body system. What they BETTER do is, re-design the next model year! If they don't, this WILL hurt them big-time. The days of the consumer not knowing about major issues until years later are no more. Toyota/Lexus has a target on their back and this will draw a bullet!

Koz
Old 06-10-10, 08:01 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ajfinoak
It would be helpful if you (and others affected by this issue) would post what the dealers' are telling them and doing so we can share info on if a fix is found or at least keep pressure on Lexus corporate to come up with a fix. It does not appear that the top engine cleaning process remains effective. I now have 20K but have had the problem since early on. At first it was intermittent and now is constant.
it appears my dealer did an induction cleaning which is similar, but not the same as the TSIB that came out for rough idle in may. my car was in the shop and they were already doing this procedure the day the tsib actually came out ironically. i have been talking to them about it for two days now since the problem happened again twice already about where we go from here.

they intend to talk to the field advisor and see what he says. i want the thorough tsib done and i also want to know what their outlook on the future is for us with these cars. if it doesn't change, i am seriously reconsidereing keeping this car. sad because i bought my first lexus for dependability and reliability and have my doubts now.
Old 06-10-10, 08:08 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Koz
I know exactly what it would take to retrofit the system, that's why I said "Bite the bullet". I also know that they will not do this. They would not even retrofit a simple throttle body system. What they BETTER do is, re-design the next model year! If they don't, this WILL hurt them big-time. The days of the consumer not knowing about major issues until years later are no more. Toyota/Lexus has a target on their back and this will draw a bullet!

Koz
agree with you 100% and this is what i am asking my dealer now that i am still having issues.
Old 06-10-10, 10:40 AM
jfree
Rookie

Default Not under warranty?

The stealership would not cover this under warranty. They insisted that the carbon buildup was due to me using the wrong gas. I only use premium gas, but they were not trying to hear it. I hate dealerships here is what they charged me
Attached Thumbnails Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)-snapshot_20100610_2.jpg  
Old 06-10-10, 10:45 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bring it up with corporate, definitely is a TSIB and a fix for them to perform for free.
Old 06-10-10, 10:46 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jfree
The stealership would not cover this under warranty. They insisted that the carbon buildup was due to me using the wrong gas. I only use premium gas, but they were not trying to hear it. I hate dealerships here is what they charged me

tell them they are full of crap and you want a refund and this service done! it's a known problem and this is only a temporary fix. i've been on the phone with lexus for two days about this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 06-10-10, 10:52 AM
jfree
Rookie

Default Corporate

Does anyone have the number to corporate?
Old 06-10-10, 11:48 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

My 08' IS250 has 44,000 miles on it right now. Every since I had the car it would "stutter" maybe once every 4 months. Recently it's been "stuttering" once a week now. Usually it would stutter a bit and go back to normal but on one occasion the VSC light came on and it wouldn't go above 2000 rpm ot 30 mph. Lucky I wasn't on the freeway. I had to restart the car to get it back to normal. I'm going to have the dealership perform the TSIB on my next oil change.

This is really making me question the reliability of this car. This is my daily driver and I plan to keep it for 5+ years. I drive about 22k miles per year and reliability is critical. This seems to be a recurring problem with no real long term fix. Should I be worried when the car hits 80k, 100k, 120k miles?

Last edited by Coconut; 06-10-10 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-10-10, 12:15 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Does anyone have the number to corporate?
Corporate # is 800 255 3987 then press 4. I think everyone experiencing this issue should call them. I also have an '01 Acura that had transmission issues with that model and public and legal pressure resulted in them extending the tranny warranty to 100K.
Old 06-10-10, 12:17 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

You should DEFINITELY get your $ back!

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)