IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 03:01 PM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else happened to notice that the cleaning procedure laid out in the TSIB employs the use of a "General Motors Fuel Injector & Top End Cleaner". I don't have the TSIB in front of me at this moment, but it actually lists a GM Part #.
Old 07-08-10, 11:29 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

OK guys, my odometer just hit 12k, I really like my IS250

I've decided to do the BG induction service now and repeat every 12-15k. The cost is $99. That includes a can of BG44k cleaner in the gas tank (worth about $20) and inject the BG ISC cleaning agent like in the audi video I posted.

Let me know what you think, I'm being the guiney pig experiment for the community.

Last edited by SC3coupe; 07-09-10 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-10-10, 10:45 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Got the BG induction service done today.
No check engine light.
I don't have any problems before, but the car run good as new..
Attached Thumbnails Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)-img_0153.jpg  
Old 07-10-10, 01:39 PM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
Got the BG induction service done today.
No check engine light.
I don't have any problems before, but the car run good as new..
Did you do that in Lexus dealership or somewhere else? How much did you pay?
Old 07-10-10, 01:46 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by prankster
Did you do that in Lexus dealership or somewhere else? How much did you pay?
I had it done at a shop offering bg services
I paid $99 but some shop quoted me $159

if anyone is in the bay area and interested pm me for info
Old 07-11-10, 12:03 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds tempting. Wonder if there's anywhere in San Diego that can be recommended for this. So your cars running normal now and still going strong? I could only imagine what my engine build up must be like after 55k.
Old 07-12-10, 10:15 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexy250
Sounds tempting. Wonder if there's anywhere in San Diego that can be recommended for this. So your cars running normal now and still going strong? I could only imagine what my engine build up must be like after 55k.
Lexy, you can use this link to find a shop,
look for one with the fuel icon, call around because the price varies.

http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/

I drove my car some more yesterday, the idle is spot on, stable and vibration free.

It would be interesting to see if it could improve some of the problems you have even though you have more miles.

Last edited by SC3coupe; 07-12-10 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-15-10, 05:14 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree that this is a REVERSION caused carbon buildup problem compounded by the EGR design using cam phasing. My LS400 with VVTi also does this EGR but has port injection which like the IS350 keep buildup in check.

The idea of using a true water injection system has merit and could actually delay and or prevent this from occuring as well as clean an engine over time that already has the buildup.

My ladyfriend has an 07 IS250 with 63k. It usually idles and runs just fine but has had a shake on occasion. She drives lots of short trips so may not be as prone to buildup as cars driven on the highway which is where the EGR is engaged during light throttle cruise.

Her car has a DIFFERENT issue. The dealer ran codes due to check engine light (but no shaking/vibrations) and it came back oxygen sensor / air/fuel ratio meter, bank 1 sensor 1. The price on the precat sensor is $244 parts and her quote was apx $500 installed (way to expensive for one O2 sensor).

I feel that 63k is way to early for an O2 to fail and after reading this and other threads am concerned that the problem may be related to the carbon buildup issue. Possibly fowling the sensor. Not sure. I can and will replace the sensor but am NOT happy about it and worried that it will still not fix the root of the problem.

Her car comes of lease next month and this issue has her second guessing another Lexus. A shame really as I encouraged her to get a Lexus. She is going to look to other cars but really likes the IS and MAY opt for a 350 based on my research.

Anyone else with a failed O2 sensor?
Old 07-15-10, 05:21 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexy, you can use this link to find a shop,
look for one with the fuel icon, call around because the price varies.

http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/

I drove my car some more yesterday, the idle is spot on, stable and vibration free.

It would be interesting to see if it could improve some of the problems you have even though you have more miles.
If you can remember could you like let me know how your car's running like a few months from now? just want to get an idea of this service. Cause if it's working like you've said, then I'll probably go get it done.
Old 07-15-10, 05:22 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

1 O2 sensor $500 installed? that's silly

search online for replacement sensor as long as it's denso you are good.

Get a trusty mechanic to install.. here is a diagram for our cars, there is no way you need $250 labor to install this, you guys are getting #####. You don't need to take out the header or anything..

But does this fall under power train warranty, isn't it 70k miles on some Lexus?
Attached Thumbnails Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)-o2_sensor.jpg  
Old 07-15-10, 06:10 PM
prankster
Pole Position

I'm tempted to have BG induction service. I never had any symptom of rough idle etc. Maybe because I have Manual trans. There are several locations in Houston. I need to convince myself that it will not ruin the engine. Has anybody had this service beside Stock4AG?
Old 07-15-10, 07:23 PM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Houston... I called two shops just to check the price. I was told $139 by one and $179 by another. If you do this or find a good shop let me know and maybe I will have it done as well.

I really think Lexus could fix the idle vibration that you feel with software. Just up the RPMs a bit -- On automatic cars, the idle speed is higher in reverse than in drive. With no lights or a/c on, there is no vibration in reverse because it idles around 750 in gear as opposed to 500-600.
Old 07-15-10, 10:11 PM
prankster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hades281
I live in Houston... I called two shops just to check the price. I was told $139 by one and $179 by another. If you do this or find a good shop let me know and maybe I will have it done as well.

I really think Lexus could fix the idle vibration that you feel with software. Just up the RPMs a bit -- On automatic cars, the idle speed is higher in reverse than in drive. With no lights or a/c on, there is no vibration in reverse because it idles around 750 in gear as opposed to 500-600.
Which shop did you call? Jones Auto Care? They have the most complete BG services according to BG website. It's 5 minutes away from my place. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow.
Old 07-15-10, 11:36 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

1 O2 sensor $500 installed? that's silly

search online for replacement sensor as long as it's denso you are good.

Get a trusty mechanic to install.. here is a diagram for our cars, there is no way you need $250 labor to install this, you guys are getting #####. You don't need to take out the header or anything..

But does this fall under power train warranty, isn't it 70k miles on some Lexus?
Hey, thanks for the imput. I actually am pretty fair with a wrench. My intentions are to replace it myself and I actually have a vendor account with Lexus so my cost on the sensor is discounted... STILL, the part price is high for an O2 sensor. Alternate sources are not substantially less expensive.

Also, the picture you posted shows the after cat sensor(s) and the one in question is the pre-cat sensor. I haven't sourced an IS repair manual so if you have those instructions please post.

Emission warranty seems to be same as basic at 50k. Federal major emission components (cats, ECU) but not o2 is 80k. 60k for a failed O2 is VERY low. Car still runs fine. Will get actual codes to determine if it is covered under TSB for carbon cleaning.

So, anyone have an O2 sensor fail?

Last edited by JBrady; 07-15-10 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-16-10, 06:25 AM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which shop did you call? Jones Auto Care?
I called two places on Louetta -- Driver's Auto Care and Louetta Automotive. Someone in California (i think earlier in this thread) got it done for $99. That seems a lot more reasonable. Both shops said it takes about an hour.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)