IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-10, 10:16 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady
Hey, thanks for the imput. I actually am pretty fair with a wrench. My intentions are to replace it myself and I actually have a vendor account with Lexus so my cost on the sensor is discounted... STILL, the part price is high for an O2 sensor. Alternate sources are not substantially less expensive.

Also, the picture you posted shows the after cat sensor(s) and the one in question is the pre-cat sensor. I haven't sourced an IS repair manual so if you have those instructions please post.

Emission warranty seems to be same as basic at 50k. Federal major emission components (cats, ECU) but not o2 is 80k. 60k for a failed O2 is VERY low. Car still runs fine. Will get actual codes to determine if it is covered under TSB for carbon cleaning.

So, anyone have an O2 sensor fail?
I pieced some info for you, the bank1 sensor1 is passenger side and luckily you don't have to take the manifold off like the sensor2 would have to. Still a few steps but if you can turn a ratchet you can do it.
Torque specs is 30 ft lbs.
As to whether it should fail in 63k miles, it is not that normal but I'd say it could, it's before the cat and exposed to pretty high temperature. I doubt it is relating to the carbon build up though.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)-o2bank1.jpg  
Old 07-18-10, 07:00 AM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hades281
I called two places on Louetta -- Driver's Auto Care and Louetta Automotive. Someone in California (i think earlier in this thread) got it done for $99. That seems a lot more reasonable. Both shops said it takes about an hour.
I called a place here in the Chicago suburbs. They quoted me $79 and told me it takes about 45 minutes. He asked me what problem I was having. I told him that it only happened one time - came to a top light, the car started to shudder, when I accelerated several warning lights came on and the car went into limp mode (max 30 or 40 mph). Dealer said there were no codes.

Te BG44 place I called said he didn't think I should have the induction service done unless it happens again. I will take it to him if it ever happens again.
Old 07-18-10, 07:47 PM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clay Easto
I called a place here in the Chicago suburbs. They quoted me $79 and told me it takes about 45 minutes. He asked me what problem I was having. I told him that it only happened one time - came to a top light, the car started to shudder, when I accelerated several warning lights came on and the car went into limp mode (max 30 or 40 mph). Dealer said there were no codes.

Te BG44 place I called said he didn't think I should have the induction service done unless it happens again. I will take it to him if it ever happens again.
There is a place in Houston charging for $219. Yes it's expensive but the way he explained the process to me makes sense. He told me the process took 2-3 hours since the cleaning "solvent" had to be absorbed first. So if other shops said the process took 45min-1 hour, I wonder if they did it right.

I'm not in a hurry to get this service. But I'm gonna look around which place can offer me a reasonable price and trustworthy.
Old 07-19-10, 12:13 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Make sure you ask what exactly is done for the price.
There used to be one BG service where it includes force feeding the fuel injectors to clean them, make sure that's not what you are getting (unlikely though).

The place I went to in CA here actually mostly service european cars, so they are familiar with audi etc. You can tell by talking to them if they are familiar with the process, if it sounds like they have not done it much then call the next shop. Maybe some shop believe in piston soaks with the cleaner.. ask them if you need to change your oil afterwards.
But anyway the original BG service is done like the video, car is running the whole time.
Old 07-30-10, 08:31 AM
ajfinoak
Driver

Originally Posted by is250gurl
i just heard back from corporate about my situation and they said that the dealerships claims the induction service that they performed is more thorough than the rough idle tsib's procedure. can anyone mechanical out there verify this?
Wondering if is250gurl or anybody else has had any luck with repair of the vibration at idle issue after dealer TSB repair. I had it done but it barely went away and is back at 21K and totally annoying.
Read a post on my.is site of someone experiencing the same issue with a 250 and was told by dealer that another TSB on carbon issue may be coming out on this around next month.
Old 07-30-10, 09:33 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i had an induction service done first and then had the tsib done for the carbon a few weeks ago. it helped some, but i still think the vibration is too much for a car of this caliber. i also noticed the loaner they gave me each time was much smoother while idling. my car has not tried to die on me at stop lights since the service and that was my main concern. i am curious what this new tsib could say. any idea?
Old 08-09-10, 04:21 PM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thread bump. Any word on the rumors about a TSB to address this problem?
Old 08-10-10, 05:33 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

i'm wondering too!
Old 08-10-10, 08:41 AM
ajfinoak
Driver

I haven't heard anything either. I am hoping that a poster will put any updates on this forum. The car is so much more enjoyable to drive when it isn't vibrating at stop.
Old 08-10-10, 09:51 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by is250gurl
i had an induction service done first and then had the tsib done for the carbon a few weeks ago. it helped some, but i still think the vibration is too much for a car of this caliber. i also noticed the loaner they gave me each time was much smoother while idling. my car has not tried to die on me at stop lights since the service and that was my main concern. i am curious what this new tsib could say. any idea?
I am not familiar with the TSIB.
What did the dealer do for you?
Old 08-10-10, 09:54 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

they did this tsib that came out for the rought idle and although it has not stumbled at a stop light again, it is still idling rougher that it should.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IS250 Rough Idle SB-0029-10[1].pdf (192.2 KB, 11892 views)
Old 09-09-10, 11:42 AM
manlai
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...hreads-18.html
Old 09-10-10, 04:31 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was apparently a production change during 2010 that addressed the carbon build up issue. I could not determine from the TSB attached in this thread what it was.

Can anyone tell me what changed to make it a non-issue in the newer IS250s?
Old 09-10-10, 05:34 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So does this affect the 2009 IS too? I thought the header design changed for 09+ models
Old 09-10-10, 06:02 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TSB 4 posts up (IS250gurl posted) shows the VIN #s and mentions a production change sometime in 2010. My VIN# is after the change but I can't seem to find info on what the change was.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)