IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 08:22 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In my opinion, toyota engines have always produced more carbon than say a Ford duratec.
No scientific proof, just the amount of soot on the tail pipes I see on a toyota vs other cars.
Old 09-16-10, 08:23 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MBTC
There was apparently a production change during 2010 that addressed the carbon build up issue. I could not determine from the TSB attached in this thread what it was.

Can anyone tell me what changed to make it a non-issue in the newer IS250s?
If they changed header, can the dealer replace it on a 2008 IS250 under warranty?
Old 09-16-10, 08:28 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
Has anyone else happened to notice that the cleaning procedure laid out in the TSIB employs the use of a "General Motors Fuel Injector & Top End Cleaner". I don't have the TSIB in front of me at this moment, but it actually lists a GM Part #.
Toyota has always been a GM fan....and Lexus originally was emulating Buick esp with the quality of ride experienced by the passengers of the car.

Mr. Toyota had a simple policy. Follow the leader and when close enough, zoom ahead and be #1.
Old 10-04-10, 11:35 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First post UPDATED

Originally Posted by XhyDra
UPDATE: I have had the dealership perform the latest service bulletin LSB, as far as its effectiveness goes, it took care of the issue. It's now been several months and 10,000 miles later and I have only had the car surge once but never again. Also I have not done an oil change since they performed this service so it's still on what ever oil the Lexus dealership used. That will change as of this week, but in essence I can say that the rough idle and the surging at stoplights has seized. Vibration has also notably gone down from what it used to be when the car was at a full stop in a stop light. I will update the progression as time goes. If you have had this service done please share your experience in terms of fixing most of the issues that are present.

Last edited by XhyDra; 10-04-10 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-05-10, 07:54 AM
BlkSapPrl7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I did some research. Apparently Lexus Toyota took some cars in Fl and CA and tore them apart in regard of the carbon problem. Not sure what the outcome was. But they're not completely convinced it's the due to carbon buildup.

I quickly skim it but it mostly talks about having port and direct injection. And what's the caused for carbon is mostly due to variable valve timing.

I will continue to run some other tests on my is awd.
Old 10-05-10, 08:20 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i hope they figure out something because i had mine cleaned for this already a few times and it will continue to happen the dealer tells me. great!
Old 10-05-10, 11:12 AM
BlkSapPrl7
Driver

ok....

so i just spent the last four hours in lab trying to figure this problem out. and this is what i did to the car:

i took apart the throttle body and stuck tape in it simulating carbon build up.

on cold start the pcm opens it more then as it heats up and goes into closed loop it backs off the throttle..

this is what i've learned: when its in open loop the window where it allows the throttle to be is open more than when its in closed loop. once its in closed loop: the pcm desires a certain idle by opening and closing the throttle however if i stuck just the right amount of tape(without setting a DTC) the throttle is at its maximum opening percentage. if i add anymore it would just put the car into limp-in mode/fail safe. being its right at the point where it cant open the throttle anymore it compensate through timing. this was the only way i was able to duplicate the rough idle. bc i cleaned my throttle and engine with some top engine cleaner (Seafoam). i havent seen it happen again (yet i dont think).

also someone made the comment about adding a fuel additive. idk if that will do very much bc it is direct injection. its not going to clean your valve any. i know with this engine they do re open the intake valve to push some of the unburn fuel back up the intake and sucked back in to burn again what was unburnt but idk how much that will affect the valve. i suspect NOT a lot unless we can do more studies on it.

as far as the manufacturers standpoint is that they arent fully convinced its carbon causing the issue. it might be a/f mapping. which was my initial thought but i wasnt the person that engineered this engine. they really need to go in and figure something out whether is mechanical or electronics.
Old 10-05-10, 11:37 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the fix! sell y'all 250's and get a 350. >x)
Old 10-05-10, 11:54 AM
BlkSapPrl7
Driver

Originally Posted by mong
I got the fix! sell y'all 250's and get a 350. >x)
then we risk the valves breaking on us.. jk

i was actually goin to buy a 350.. but where i live it rains or snows 90% of the year so its not as practical and i drive it a lot daily
Old 10-05-10, 11:59 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkSapPrl7
then we risk the valves breaking on us.. jk

i was actually goin to buy a 350.. but where i live it rains or snows 90% of the year so its not as practical and i drive it a lot daily
not if you get a 09' plus!! nice come back tho LOL
Old 10-06-10, 04:06 AM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has this affected anyone with a manual transmission?
Old 10-06-10, 07:42 AM
matador250
Rookie

i'm curious, i just purchase an 08 is250. so far i haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary...
Old 10-07-10, 12:26 AM
VF84
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cchase231
Originally I had wanted an IS 350, but ended up putting a deposit on an '07 awd 250....I decided having awd in a michigan winter would be nice....I should ...and get a 350.....

Originally Posted by BlkSapPrl7
u guys r in luck.. is350 awd is now available.
Old 10-07-10, 12:58 AM
VF84
Pole Position

vag has di related carbon deposit problems, and now lexus.

i wonder if cadillac's v6 di and ford's ecoboost have these problems.
Old 10-16-10, 11:00 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A little update on the progress of my IS250, as of a few days ago the car has rough idled three times during stops. It maintained the rough idle until I accelerated. This wasn't like the ones it had experienced before, it was a lot more unstable, the car would shake as if it wanted to shut off, and I could hear that the injectors were slowing down. Another thing I noticed was the interior lights flickering when this was happening. As soon as I accelerated it completely went away.

To help rule out things, and or include causes here's a list of what needs to be done and has been done;

- Spark plugs, I'm 10k overdue.
- Battery was replaced late last year by dealer.
- Need to do an oil change, and clean air-intake filter.

Other than that theres a possibility that it could be a returning issue or one of the above needs to be addressed.

Several things to note, gas mileage is still good, on a 150mile highway trip with PWR ECT on going 75-80mph (no cruise control) the computer read 35mpg. So if it was the spark plugs it wouldn't render such good gas mileage. It doesn't make too much sense.

I'll be changing the oil, air intake filter, and cabin filter tomorrow so I'll report back on that. Also in the oil change I will be using Amsoil 0W-30 Signature with their new Engine & Transmission flush. In case you missed my last post I have 10.5k on whatever oil the dealer used when they did the top engine cleaning.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)