IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-10, 03:48 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Noticed that if the AC is not on, the RPM are very low with the foot on the brake(brake lights on), like 550-600 and engine is not quite smooth at that speed. So here is my theory:

All those times when we come to a stop and

1. the AC is not engaged due to the AC cycle
2. the 1st gear is engaged abruptly at the moment the speed is almost zero

You will experience
- Low idle with vehicle shaking as if it was about to stall

because of the excessive loads (brake lights on + 1st gear engagement action) coming into the equation all at the same time and not enough rpm to support the electrical load. Additionally, if the headlights happen to switch on at this time, the RPM flutters.

thoughts?
It's somthing to look it to further. I have read online here about people already having to change the OEM battery. Even the '06 battery should have at least two more years before getting it changed out.... But it depends on the usage too. There is some sort of test window on top of my battery. I will get it a look see just in case.
Old 11-10-10, 04:11 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And here is the nail.

When the car is HOT and radiator is also running, it really flutters badly. To me this means that engine does not have enough power to handle all that load all at once. Is it because of the fuel map im effect when engine is too hot?
Old 11-10-10, 06:23 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

^ I'm not too sure about the IS but most cars automatically run the radiator fan more when the AC is turned on. Has to do the the condenser. So the AC ON or FAN ON could be considered "almost" the same electrical load on the engine.

Cars run rich when cold and lean out when they are hot. Overly lean conditions can cause backfires through the intake. Some vehicles can richen up the mixture to help cool the engine but I highly doubt that can happen to an automotive in the USA. Emissions regulation that would not allow it i guess. Misfires are bad for emissions too.

Last edited by Gaugster; 11-10-10 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-10-10, 07:05 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Just as a comparision, the v6 on my mazda6 never fluttered at idle under any load. The idle speed was stable as it could ever be.
From what i understood it ran pretty rich.
Old 11-11-10, 10:26 AM
monet33
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

are they suppose to charge you for diagnostic fee if your vin is not included in the recall just to check? car is still under warranty
Old 11-11-10, 10:37 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by monet33
are they suppose to charge you for diagnostic fee if your vin is not included in the recall just to check? car is still under warranty
Seems to be standard practice around here to charge for diagnostics if "no problem is found". Probably don't do this if you have a good relationship with the dealership or if you bought your car from them.

I imagine they do this, or at least say they're going to charge you even if they don't end up doing it to prevent hypochondria.
Old 11-11-10, 10:42 AM
monet33
Driver

I've had it happen to me twice already after a cold start up and coming to a stop. It only has around 5k miles on it (2010).
Old 11-11-10, 11:05 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by monet33
I've had it happen to me twice already after a cold start up and coming to a stop. It only has around 5k miles on it (2010).
I don't know how carbon buildup could possibly be an issue on a car with 5k on it. My GS had over 60K on it before they cleaned mine and even then it wasn't even that horrible, just annoying once in a while and idled rough after starting for the first time after sitting overnight.
Old 11-11-10, 11:10 AM
monet33
Driver

I'm not sure if it's carbon build up or not but felt like the engine was about to stall and then it was normal. maybe it's something else
Old 11-11-10, 11:48 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gaugster
^ I'm not too sure about the IS but most cars automatically run the radiator fan more when the AC is turned on. Has to do the the condenser. So the AC ON or FAN ON could be considered "almost" the same electrical load on the engine.

Cars run rich when cold and lean out when they are hot. Overly lean conditions can cause backfires through the intake. Some vehicles can richen up the mixture to help cool the engine but I highly doubt that can happen to an automotive in the USA. Emissions regulation that would not allow it i guess. Misfires are bad for emissions too.
Doesn't this car have 2 fans? One for the coolant and the other secondary for the A/C ? The problem is when both of them are on at the same time.

Try this:
When the car is hot, driven at least 20 minutes or so.
Come to a stop.
Keep your foot on the brakes.
Switch on the rear defroster.
Keep the A/C on.
Turn the steering about 30 degrees.
Switch on the lights.
if possible, switch on the wipers too!
Old 11-11-10, 06:17 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Doesn't this car have 2 fans? One for the coolant and the other secondary for the A/C ? The problem is when both of them are on at the same time.

Try this:
When the car is hot, driven at least 20 minutes or so.
Come to a stop.
Keep your foot on the brakes.
Switch on the rear defroster.
Keep the A/C on.
Turn the steering about 30 degrees.
Switch on the lights.
if possible, switch on the wipers too!
lol - your cracking my up man. Ya I believe the radiator has two fans. How or if they are sequenced, idk...? I would curb check my ride doing what you suggest so sorry but can't really help you there... I did check my battery and visually the test port shows okay. You should add crank the stereo to your list. Think we're a bit off topic here....
Old 11-11-10, 06:51 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gaugster
lol - your cracking my up man. Ya I believe the radiator has two fans. How or if they are sequenced, idk...? I would curb check my ride doing what you suggest so sorry but can't really help you there... I did check my battery and visually the test port shows okay. You should add crank the stereo to your list. Think we're a bit off topic here....
yea man...I am happy that you at least found it funny.

anyways, I noticed engine idle speed flutter under this circumstances so trying to see if they are related or not. Battery is good on mine. checked that out. no buildup and voltage is fine.
Old 11-15-10, 10:57 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I will try to exclusively use Chevron/Techron gas and see what happens as i pile up the miles. Stay tuned for future updates.
OMG.... Can a guy say that? Or is it only for girls?

Any way this is definitely turning interesting.

So i started using chevron exclusively but could not see any quick results so the impatient bstrd in me threw in 20 oz of techron concentrate too. Let it run the whole tankful and one more chevron tank and still saw no difference.
The impatient me then threw in a bottle of the new Lucas deep clean with a new tank of chevron gas last week. By the time i got to 'E', the engine idle had improved. Wtf.

I also checked the oil level and that is good but my mobil1 synthetic oil has turned dark and it has only 1000 miles on it.

Does rhis cleaning really worked? Or am i dreaming?
Old 11-15-10, 02:48 PM
Gaugster
Advanced

Well even the can of techron states that two applications may be required. It could be just a marketing tool to get people to buy more of the product or may really be needed in heavy build up situation.

Just drive it for more miles and see if it is really cleared up and is better....
Old 11-15-10, 06:53 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Yup! Will keep u posted on how it goes.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)