IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-10, 12:55 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Without giving any more details, i will tell u that corporate told me exactly that for a $500 fix.
I assume you mean the issue you refused to describe in the 5 page thread?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-scenario.html

Kinda hard to say anything about that situation or if the MMA has much bearing on it without knowing what the actual situation was though...

In any event, here's a nice paper explaining why binding arbitration should not be enforceable under the MMA

http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/res...rgMagnuson.pdf

(I'm unaware of this having been settled by the US supreme court though, and I'm not a lawyer, so YMMV)
Old 12-10-10, 05:44 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I assume you mean the issue you refused to describe in the 5 page thread?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-scenario.html

Kinda hard to say anything about that situation or if the MMA has much bearing on it without knowing what the actual situation was though...

In any event, here's a nice paper explaining why binding arbitration should not be enforceable under the MMA

http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/res...rgMagnuson.pdf

(I'm unaware of this having been settled by the US supreme court though, and I'm not a lawyer, so YMMV)
That is correct Kurtz. That is the right incident.
The dealer, and corporate both refused even though it is a known issue and many folks over here have had it fixed under warranty. I even asked Corporate to give that to me in writing and they did, but refused to provide the reason. When I pushed them to give me the reason in writing, they very curtly told me to file for arbitration.
Old 12-10-10, 07:01 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

That is correct Kurtz. That is the right incident.
The dealer, and corporate both refused even though it is a known issue and many folks over here have had it fixed under warranty. I even asked Corporate to give that to me in writing and they did, but refused to provide the reason. When I pushed them to give me the reason in writing, they very curtly told me to file for arbitration.
And given you insist it's an issue everyone else gets fixed under warranty there pretty much has to be something you're not telling us... but since you're not telling us, well, we can't really speak to it. But I think the proper federal agency if you'd like to speak to them about enforcing the MMA would be the FTC.

Anyway, to MIA LEX who is having the current refusal issue, give my suggested course of action a try and see what happens.
Old 12-10-10, 08:35 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

And given you insist it's an issue everyone else gets fixed under warranty there pretty much has to be something you're not telling us... but since you're not telling us, well, we can't really speak to it. But I think the proper federal agency if you'd like to speak to them about enforcing the MMA would be the FTC.

Anyway, to MIA LEX who is having the current refusal issue, give my suggested course of action a try and see what happens.
I really appreciate you all's help. You are trying to help, I know that.

Anyways, what I was trying to say is that the dealers/corporate are getting nasty nowadays. They would rather say no and save money on the warranty expense because they know many are not going to go to arbitration.

But I have my ways and will get it fixed under warranty. I just have not had the time to take my car back to the dealership since then.

That said, I just wanted to give a heads up to folks out here to be careful.
Old 12-10-10, 11:53 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kurtz let me ask you this, since you seem to be well aware of the ways the stealerships operate. If the car is registered under my gf's name for example, and i take it in for some work thats covered under warranty, would it still be covered considering I took the car in and not my gf?
Because thats what happend, i took my car in and ended up getting charged for something that was supposed to be covered under warranty, so when i found out i called llexus corporate and they told me that since i took the car in and not the person it was registered to im screwed and they're not going to refund me.
Old 12-11-10, 12:56 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Cars aren't software.

I already told you the law involved.

A new car warranty can not, by federal law, be "voided" simply by modifications.
I'm not debating that the laws for software (intellectual property) and tangible goods are different, I'm even not doubting what you're proposing...in fact I hope it's true. But as far as I can tell from a very cursory level, the Mangunson Moss Act is intended to cover replacement parts and does not provision any responsibility on behalf of the dealer to make their parts work in conjunction with those of another vendor.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm very interested in this subject.

I'm pretty sure if you put a Chevy engine in your Lexus and take it in for service, they will tell you to get stuffed and so would the supreme court. I'd love for you to prove me wrong though.
Old 12-11-10, 05:11 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MashinA
Kurtz let me ask you this, since you seem to be well aware of the ways the stealerships operate. If the car is registered under my gf's name for example, and i take it in for some work thats covered under warranty, would it still be covered considering I took the car in and not my gf?
Because thats what happend, i took my car in and ended up getting charged for something that was supposed to be covered under warranty, so when i found out i called llexus corporate and they told me that since i took the car in and not the person it was registered to im screwed and they're not going to refund me.
I rest my case....

Lexus is trying to save money on warranty work however they can, whenever they can, aggressively.

I guess the recalls with lost sales has hurt them a lot.
Old 12-11-10, 06:42 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

MBTC, if u put a chevy engine and your paint starts peeling off on the trunk, it would still be under warranty. The dealer will try to not cover it though given the cost saving whip from corporate.
Old 12-11-10, 10:01 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MBTC
I'm not debating that the laws for software (intellectual property) and tangible goods are different, I'm even not doubting what you're proposing...in fact I hope it's true. But as far as I can tell from a very cursory level, the Mangunson Moss Act is intended to cover replacement parts and does not provision any responsibility on behalf of the dealer to make their parts work in conjunction with those of another vendor.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm very interested in this subject.

I'm pretty sure if you put a Chevy engine in your Lexus and take it in for service, they will tell you to get stuffed and so would the supreme court. I'd love for you to prove me wrong though.

Ok, you're wrong.

If you put a chevy engine in your lexus your warranty would remain in force for any problem not caused by the chevy engine.

The paint example is a good one... or your trunk release latch failing or something.

An unrelated parts change can not void a warranty as a whole is the entire point here.

SEMA is a huge defender of MMA related enforcement for this very reason, because it means aftermarket mod vendors can sell their stuff without worrying about inherently voiding warranties.
Old 12-11-10, 11:13 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Well your response makes me want to learn more about the issue but still doesn't prove me wrong. Just to clarify, I am not challenging you to prove me wrong in a defiant sort of way...I would LIKE to be proven wrong in the sense that I genuinuely hope I am wrong, but would like to see proof that I am.

The problem with the notion of "unrelated parts change" would come down to the definition of related. A change in one area of any complex mechanical device can have effects elsewhere. Putting an engine in a car that the car has not been tested with by the manufacturer would have unlimited opportunities for affecting parts of the car other than those directly engine related. Among other things, the weight distribution and vibration dynamics would change. Those two factors alone can have infinite side effects.

It would make sense that aftermarket vendors would have huge legal teams working on this subject, so what you've said about that makes fair enough sense to me, I would just like to read something a bit more official that clearly explains, for example the legal definition of "unrelated parts change" or something of similar tangibility.
Old 12-11-10, 04:57 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you sir. I definitely will
Old 12-11-10, 06:18 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Well your response makes me want to learn more about the issue but still doesn't prove me wrong. Just to clarify, I am not challenging you to prove me wrong in a defiant sort of way...I would LIKE to be proven wrong in the sense that I genuinuely hope I am wrong, but would like to see proof that I am.

The problem with the notion of "unrelated parts change" would come down to the definition of related. A change in one area of any complex mechanical device can have effects elsewhere. Putting an engine in a car that the car has not been tested with by the manufacturer would have unlimited opportunities for affecting parts of the car other than those directly engine related. Among other things, the weight distribution and vibration dynamics would change. Those two factors alone can have infinite side effects.

It would make sense that aftermarket vendors would have huge legal teams working on this subject, so what you've said about that makes fair enough sense to me, I would just like to read something a bit more official that clearly explains, for example the legal definition of "unrelated parts change" or something of similar tangibility.
Let me make it simple then-

The provider of the warranty is the one who is required to prove that your aftermarket part caused the problem.

So they can claim whatever they want as a "related" part but unless they are able to prove it caused the problem they are not legally allowed to deny warranty coverage of that problem. Not "say" it caused it, prove it caused it.

It's as simple as that.
Old 12-11-10, 10:31 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Let me make it simple then-

The provider of the warranty is the one who is required to prove that your aftermarket part caused the problem.

So they can claim whatever they want as a "related" part but unless they are able to prove it caused the problem they are not legally allowed to deny warranty coverage of that problem. Not "say" it caused it, prove it caused it.

It's as simple as that.

Great. So if I have a legal dispute, I can print out your post and the courts will accept it as law according to Kurtz. Wonderful. Thanks for the proof.
Old 12-12-10, 05:42 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Great. So if I have a legal dispute, I can print out your post and the courts will accept it as law according to Kurtz. Wonderful. Thanks for the proof.
C'mon. let us not get nasty here. We are all trying to help each other, not screw each other here.

From the Horse's Mouth

With some exceptions, Section 102 (c) of the Act prohibits you from including a tie-in sales provision in your warranty.

Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.
Old 12-12-10, 08:52 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

C'mon. let us not get nasty here. We are all trying to help each other, not screw each other here.
Ok, apologies to Kurtz for the unnecessary sarcasm, I realize my post did not exactly come off in the spirit of good information exchange.

And thanks for the link, I will do some reading.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)