IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-10, 08:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC
Ok, apologies to Kurtz for the unnecessary sarcasm, I realize my post did not exactly come off in the spirit of good information exchange.

And thanks for the link, I will do some reading.
No worries, and thanks for the apology.

Chikoo quote describes the intent well...

So if you put on an aftermarket intake, or air filter, or spark plug, or oil filter, or anti-freeze, or brake pad, anything else, that works properly on your car, it has no impact on your warranty.

If you put in spark plugs designed for a lawn mower instead of your car and the engine fails, well, your choice caused the problem and they're not obligated to fix that problem.

They'd still be obligated to fix a problem with your power-seat motor since it's totally unrelated to your poor choice in spark plugs though.

Last edited by Kurtz; 12-12-10 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-12-10, 11:01 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC
Ok, apologies to Kurtz for the unnecessary sarcasm, I realize my post did not exactly come off in the spirit of good information exchange.

And thanks for the link, I will do some reading.
Thank you MBTC.....
Old 12-16-10, 03:16 PM
SassyLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all I have a 2007 IS250 46K
I'll say I didnt start having this problem till a little after the recall of the pedal issue
when they did that there also was I software upgrade if I recall correctly......

I'm having the issue of the rough idle and they cleaned the carbon off and right out of the dealership it did it again at the first stop light. It does not do it all the time but I was in a drive through and left it in drive and I would notice a short drop in RPMs just enough for me to feel it then was fine again. It only lasts a second and smooth for a bit then it does it again. I do not notice this same issue with it in neutral. It doesnt matter if the engine is warm or cold!!
But any who... Oh and I drive frisky (aggressive) after all the Lexus Tech told me it was made to drive that way!
Old 12-16-10, 06:15 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I sincerely suspect this to be a software control issue.
It will do it most of the times till the car gets warmed up.

After that I can control it when it does the drop to 500, shudder and come back up.

If I come to a stop in a linear fashion, it appears that the computer is able to predict and thus put it in the right gear at the right time, and control the injectors to inject the right amount of fuel to stay at normal idle.

If I come to a stop too fast or if I start moving and the car is in gear#2 and suddenly come to a stop, the idle drops, I feel the shudder, see the rpm go back up to 650-700.

Too much computer analysis going on, and probably not enough powerful computer.
Old 12-17-10, 05:25 AM
flipmode
Rookie

I brought my 07 250AWD to the dealer, said I felt some vibration at stop lights. Immediately, the Service Rep said, "That's Carbon build up, we'll take care of it for you." They performed the top end cleaning under warranty, no questions, all while driving a new 350 loaner. This is Lexus of Englewood NJ if anybody is interested in getting this done.
Old 12-17-10, 06:23 AM
RA030724
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar problem years ago with my 1984 Toyota Celica GTS. At that time it was programming that shut the fuel off immediately if you hard braked. Was part of the anti-pollution programming in the ECU. If you slowed normally, it never happened. Fix was to disconnect the sense wire from the brake light switch to the ECU. No one "officially" said to do this of course, for lawsuit reasons, but it was accepted practice to stop the engine rpm from "diving" when you stopped quickly. I'm at 20K on my 2008 and have not seen this problem. I only use 92-93 fuel.
Old 12-17-10, 02:24 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipmode
I brought my 07 250AWD to the dealer, said I felt some vibration at stop lights. Immediately, the Service Rep said, "That's Carbon build up, we'll take care of it for you." They performed the top end cleaning under warranty, no questions, all while driving a new 350 loaner. This is Lexus of Englewood NJ if anybody is interested in getting this done.
Do keep us updated on if you feel any improvements or not after the carbon cleaning.
Old 12-27-10, 04:25 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just schedule a service with lexus of modesto. I gave them a list of things i needed fixed.

List:
Dashboard Rattle
Rear View Mirror Vibration
Center Vent will not clip in
Carbon Build up
Clunk noise when changing from Park to Reverse
Fix HID aim
Turn off DRL's

Hopefully they will do all of my request.

If they refuse my service, i will take my car to Lexus of Oakland or Fremont.

This is what the service put as my concerns on their website:

Appointment Requests
Item Concern
46LEAB32 *ADJUST TIRE PRESSUR
00LEECSD *DRIVABILITY DIAG
00LEERD *GAS ENG DIAG
00LEBD *BODY DIAG
Old 01-03-11, 10:59 AM
SassyLexus
Driver School Candidate

ChiKoo, I agree with you and have suggested it to be a software issue but they tell me they dont think that is what it. OH!! But I do!! I actually sent my service rep a copy of this post and said here you go see it is not just me and he advised to bring it in :-)

I will keep you all posted on any new info I receive. Hope everyone is having a good New Year!
Old 01-04-11, 10:42 AM
lexudv
Pole Position

My car is out of warranty and I'm interested in doing the carbon buildup cleaning, but of course I would have to pay for it myself. Couple of questions:

Is the 'Engine System DeCarbonize' that's offered by my local Lexus dealer the same as what is done on TSIB# L-SB-0029-10?

How does it compare to the BG induction service that I see mentioned here on this thread?
Old 01-04-11, 01:48 PM
tobyman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipmode
I had a 2007 250RWD and took it in for the top end cleaning 8 times. Since the engine shake and even power loss would occur repeatedly. Suffice to say the car has since been repurchased by Lexus under CA lemon law.
Old 01-05-11, 09:06 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexudv
My car is out of warranty and I'm interested in doing the carbon buildup cleaning, but of course I would have to pay for it myself. Couple of questions:

Is the 'Engine System DeCarbonize' that's offered by my local Lexus dealer the same as what is done on TSIB# L-SB-0029-10?

How does it compare to the BG induction service that I see mentioned here on this thread?
That is not the TSIB service. The TSIB service is much more involved.
Old 01-06-11, 04:59 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Clay Easto
That is not the TSIB service. The TSIB service is much more involved.
That's what I figured. Based on this, would you guys recommend getting the cleaning service that they are offering? I would imagine that doing the full TSIB will get expensive!
Old 01-06-11, 05:49 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SassyLexus
ChiKoo, I agree with you and have suggested it to be a software issue but they tell me they dont think that is what it. OH!! But I do!! I actually sent my service rep a copy of this post and said here you go see it is not just me and he advised to bring it in :-)

I will keep you all posted on any new info I receive. Hope everyone is having a good New Year!
Update:

Since the winter began, and the weather is very nice, The AC on my car does not kick in, and neither does the additional radiator fan. Guess what? My idle does not drop like it used to. Just to test it out, I kicked on the rear defroster, putting a load on the system, and the idle dropped a bit.
Old 01-08-11, 02:06 PM
hawk85007
Driver School Candidate

My car is also out of warrantly. was thinking about getting it done but its a bit too expensive. Lexus of cerritos quoted me for $868, she also told me that the hourly rate was higher than $120, is this correct? Im gonna try another dealer.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)