IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 05:03 AM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lobuxracer: I follow your explanation on why EGR reversion contributes to this problem, but how will changing the piston rings correct the problem? As you pointed out, the EGR flow is controlled by software and valve timing. It seems like they would rethink the EGR, not the piston rings.
Old 10-05-11, 03:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by hades281
lobuxracer: I follow your explanation on why EGR reversion contributes to this problem, but how will changing the piston rings correct the problem? As you pointed out, the EGR flow is controlled by software and valve timing. It seems like they would rethink the EGR, not the piston rings.
They can't rethink the EGR. The configuration is an EPA approved configuration. It would cost them many millions to recertify. Why the rings? Not sure, but I suspect because they've had problems with fuel in the oil, they're expecting these engines to have accelerated ring wear. If you go back to some of the original threads on this from 2006, you'll see 250 owners getting their ECMs reflashed and an oil change as part of an LSB.
Old 10-05-11, 07:05 PM
hades281
Driver

Lobuxracer: If wear attributed to fuel dilution is the reason owners are getting piston rings, then the great majority of owners should not need this procedure... and it can't be the cure for carbon buildup. All UOAs for this engine show it is very easy on oil. It must have been the very first buyers who were affected by fuel dilution.
Old 10-05-11, 09:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The LSB for the piston replacement says be sure the reflash LSB has been done. Apparently there is a concern large enough for Lexus to specify this as a first step.
Old 10-06-11, 12:46 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chikoo
>>I also wonder how effective the BG direct injection induction cleaning service really works in our engines. Like others I am not excited about my engine being torn down by the dealership.<<

I am not sure about that either, but I will tell you that I am a believer of the BG-44K product now.
For over 6 years my RX idled horribly and Lexus said "thats normal". All high mileage RX are like that.

I tried techron, gumout, etc all these years but no effect.

Earlier this year I purchased the expensive BG-44K and poured it in the tank of my RX.
Voila! The vibrations are gone.
I guess I'll try BG-44k then. I won't be given this TSIB since I'm out of warranty. And I can't afford new pistons, etc...
I hope the BG-44K method works.
My car randomly shakes for 2 seconds when I idle at a light. It's very random. Doesn't happen all the time.
Old 10-06-11, 07:32 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

If it were mine and I was out of warranty, I'd try injecting water into the intake first. It's just about free and might reduce or eliminate the problem directly where it exists. BG44K is great stuff - I've seen it do some almost miraculous stuff, but it's going to clean the injectors, not the valves.
Old 10-06-11, 02:04 PM
hades281
Driver

You know what would work... They should put cleaning fluid or water into something like an IV bag. Use a cheapo orifice to *safely limit* the flow and tee-in at the correct place under the hood. Tuck the bag somewhere in the engine bay, like between the battery and the firewall, and drive hard until it's empty.

*meter is not the correct word there.

Last edited by hades281; 10-06-11 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-07-11, 01:51 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You know what would work... They should put cleaning fluid or water into something like an IV bag. Use a cheapo orifice to *safely limit* the flow and tee-in at the correct place under the hood. Tuck the bag somewhere in the engine bay, like between the battery and the firewall, and drive hard until it's empty.

*meter is not the correct word there.
yea....I have been talking about the same using a medical syringe (filled with BG-44K) stuck into the rubber air hose close to the engine, with the hope that the pressure drop, esp during WOT will suck some of that BG-44K and clean the air intake valves of the carbon that built up during partial WOT due to the EGR process.
Old 10-07-11, 07:01 PM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If it were mine and I was out of warranty, I'd try injecting water into the intake first. It's just about free and might reduce or eliminate the problem directly where it exists. BG44K is great stuff - I've seen it do some almost miraculous stuff, but it's going to clean the injectors, not the valves.
Won't that hydro lock the engine?
Old 10-07-11, 08:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Won't that hydro lock the engine?
No. I've poured water directly in the carburetor as fast as I could pour a pint of water and never had an issue at all. You can't pour water fast enough to hydrolock an engine.
Old 10-10-11, 06:43 PM
freeflight
Driver

I am kind of disappointed. I bought Lexus for its reputation of being reliable, didn't want to deal with this design flaw. Now it looks like the best remedy is to buy an extended warranty. This sucks.

Does anybody know how much extended warranty cost?

freeflight: A dealership engine overhaul, which is what the rumors about this TSB allude to, would be big bucks. It's also one of those projects where, depending on mileage, you start saying to yourself... "While you're in there, lets replace A, and B, and C" (things like timing chain guides). Keep in mind that at this point the engine would need a thorough decarbonization. If you pull the valves, you'll put new valve guides, etc, etc.

Lexus is better off doing factory engine rebuilds and just swapping your engine for one redone and tested in a factory setting. Other manufacturers have done this.
Old 10-10-11, 06:46 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by freeflight
I am kind of disappointed. I bought Lexus for its reputation of being reliable, didn't want to deal with this design flaw. Now it looks like the best remedy is to buy an extended warranty. This sucks.

Does anybody know how much extended warranty cost?
This thread talks about warranties and where to buy from: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

Pricing varies based on year, model, mileage, how many years left on warranty, where you buy from, etc.

On a 2010 with a 6-year powertrain warranty you have a long way to go until you have to worry about this.
Old 10-12-11, 07:02 AM
hades281
Driver

I wouldn't start looking at extended warranties, etc. just yet. We haven't even read the TSB to know which cars may be affected, the reason for the repair, etc.

There is a high-mileage 2IS thread with several owners having cars running well into the 100k+ range.
Old 10-12-11, 11:12 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No. I've poured water directly in the carburetor as fast as I could pour a pint of water and never had an issue at all. You can't pour water fast enough to hydrolock an engine.
So while I pour water in the throttle body & the engine is on should I give it some gas to increase the RPMs or just let it idle... I'm skeptical of pouring water in an engine
Old 10-12-11, 01:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by CCJ22
So while I pour water in the throttle body & the engine is on should I give it some gas to increase the RPMs or just let it idle... I'm skeptical of pouring water in an engine
What you want to do is use a hose connected to the manifold. The brake booster is one possibility, but generally if there is a smaller hose, use it. Put the hose into your water source and have an assistant raise rpm to about 2500 rpm.

If you're really worried about it, you can put a restrictor in the hose to slow the water flow, but again, it's really difficult to hydrolock an engine without completely submerging the intake.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS250 4GR-FSE Engine Carbon Build-up (merged threads)